Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still loads of cars on the road it seems in cork

Options
  • 26-10-2020 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Went for a walk this evening with the dogs around the northside of the city (within 5km) and I was amazed at the amount of cars on the road on a bank holiday Monday (6 30pm)

All I could think of is nothing is open, and we aren't suppose to be going to each other houses but that's all I could assume is happening considering it's a bank holiday Monday evening.

There is just so many cars travelling around the place.

Have you noticed the same or am I wrong?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Norrys on the way down to the chipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Many people have had enough of the whole thing. This is only all being done to ease the pressure on our already sub-standard health system. As for fines, i really don’t see many paying them.

mean gene wrote: »

Dinos have a drive-thru sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

mean gene wrote: »

True that, had a takeaway from Poppa Bills on Bakers road this evening :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Imo you'd hardly know it's a lockdown.

Go by original lockdown this is a level 3 compared to previous 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

This is only all being done to ease the pressure on our already sub-standard health system.

Yes, this will certainly reduce hospital admissions. That’s a good thing right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Feel the same....Think people have had enough....

cantalach wrote: »
    Yes, this will certainly reduce hospital admissions. That’s a good thing right?

It’s always a good thing. The issue we now have is the government have done nothing to improve the dire health system since this began, even the NHS is far better up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We also took a walk around Sunday's Well and on to Mardyke / Fitzgerald's Park around the afternoon yesterday and commented the exact same thing. There were a lot of cars coming in with families etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

Traffic is as bad as it was pre covid. Loads of people working from home or is this overrated and people already returned. Or are less people working for companies not allowing WFH.
    On the other hand, only a handful of companies/shops claim to be non essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

It’s always a good thing. The issue we now have is the government have done nothing to improve the dire health system since this began, even the NHS is far better up north.

The North are trying to access our ICU capacity already, and it's only October. I'm not sure putting them on a pedestal next to us is a good argument.

And I agree on the traffic observation. I can only speak to Kilkenny traffic, but hasn't really changed. Speaking to family in Cork and friends in Dublin it's the same story apparently. I really don't know where people are going. I haven't really driven anywhere since the additional restrictions came in.

Also, the comment that 'people have had enough'. I agree, they have. Unfortunately, the pandemic doesn't have an opt-out clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm working as a courier around Douglas, the whole day the roads were packed full of cars. Very very few shops closed from what I could see.

Even heard that a few bicycle shops are still open, because apparently they're essential now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm working as a courier around Douglas, the whole day the roads were packed full of cars. Very very few shops closed from what I could see.

Even heard that a few bicycle shops are still open, because apparently they're essential now?

They were essential last time too, but yeah, there's no way this lockdown is comparable to the first.

Nah it's a joke. I think the only shops I saw closed were hairdressers, but still absolutely loads of people driving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

It's a bit ironic complaining about the level of traffic on the roads, whilst also complaining about bike shops being open.
    Plenty of doctors, nurses and other essential hospital staff cycle to work. Add in grocery shop workers, bike couriers and even guards and the local bike shop is a very essential service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

.red. wrote: »
    It's a bit ironic complaining about the level of traffic on the roads, whilst also complaining about bike shops being open.
    Plenty of doctors, nurses and other essential hospital staff cycle to work. Add in grocery shop workers, bike couriers and even guards and the local bike shop is a very essential service.

But real people drive cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

amm, there was kind of a cycling explosion during the last lock down. Luckily i'm considered an essential worker and I actually cycled to work everyday day during the last lock down because it was safer due to lack of cars. I would do it now but I don't feel safe due to the amount of traffic along Tivoli these mornings.

.red. wrote: »

Ah to be fair, you're spot on there and I could have worded it better. I certainly wasn't taking a dig at cyclists, was just more surprised that bicycle shops are open when a lot of car and motorcycle dealerships have had to close. I wasn't complaining about the shops being open at all, just wasn't expecting them to be considered essential.

From driving around with work, it seems pretty much everything is essential except for hair styling and clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Ah to be fair, you're spot on there and I could have worded it better. I certainly wasn't taking a dig at cyclists, was just more surprised that bicycle shops are open when a lot of car and motorcycle dealerships have had to close. I wasn't complaining about the shops being open at all, just wasn't expecting them to be considered essential.

From driving around with work, it seems pretty much everything is essential except for hair styling and clothes.

Sales have to close but anyplace that carries out motor car or bicycle maintenance including tyre fitting shops are now considered essential which is fair enough seeing as everybody is still at work and school so vehicles will need maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Whats the story with cake shops brackens on the old mallow road closed but hassets in blackpool shopping centre open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement