Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB to Ethernet Printer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No unfortunately the printer won't have the drivers for the adapter or network stack or server if you could connect it. You could connect it to a computer attached to Ethernet and say up a print server on the computer so you could print from amother pc across the network. I've set up Raspberry Pis to do that in the past, might be a little complicated though.

Edit: why can't you use WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

TheChizler wrote: »
    No unfortunately the printer won't have the drivers for the adapter or network stack or server if you could connect it. You could connect it to a computer attached to Ethernet and say up a print server on the computer so you could print from amother pc across the network. I've set up Raspberry Pis to do that in the past, might be a little complicated though.

Edit: why can't you use WiFi?
    Have wired LAN in house with three PCs. For wifi I'd have to get adapters for two, or power on the PC with the share.

It's replacing an old battered mono laser. Must have lasted me 15 years.

Bought in haste, regretfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Doh! I see, said the blind man! :o

I'll set it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Have wired LAN in house with three PCs. For wifi I'd have to get adapters for two, or power on the PC with the share.
    What adapters, for what two?
    Despite, my skepticism re WiFi printers, connect printer to it and set with static IP. That is all you need to get it on network and available to rest of.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Either set the printer with a static IP address, and have the computers connect to it via your router, or get something like this, and connect the USB printer to it.

Be warned; it doesn't like large print jobs. Had it for a non-wireless USB printer, and it did the job, but had to reset it the odd time when too many jobs were sent to it and it got stuck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement