Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did you decide to be vegan (Mod Warning)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

What about the methane farts!?

After about a decade, that CH4 (methane) is converted – via hydroxyl oxidation – back into CO2 (carbon dioxide)

The grasses, trees, and shrubs on farms have the unique ability to sequester this carbon and store it safely, long term in the soil. This process is known as carbon sequestration.

I struggle with a ‘one size fits all’ OP so I struggle with the term vegan.

I choose not to eat or buy animal products and other people call/refer to me as a vegan (as I did originally) but as time goes on I’m just a human that tries not to buy any products that cause harm, pain or death to animals.

That is the reason I choose a plant based lifestyle.

The idea of harming any living creature is beyond my comprehension.

I’m devastated I didn’t do it earlier but I’ve been a victim of social conditioning.

We are brought up to think it’s ok to imprison and slaughter certain animals for our own pleasure.

I don’t accept that anymore. I think pigs, cows and chickens deserve the same affection that dogs and cats enjoy.

I’d love to see more people in society break away from these social norms and love all animals and not just the ones we are told to love.

I think the farming process, from birth to slaughter, is abhorrent. It’s heartbreaking.

I’ve spent time with pigs, cows and chicken and the joy they bring is immeasurable. They are loving and caring creatures just like dogs and cats.

I understand a lot of people ‘hide’ behind the lawfulness of the process but I find that pretty despicable.

We rightly offer compassion, understanding and acceptance to people that in the past were vilified and criminalised because of who they were. Thankfully laws can be changed and people can be educated.

Imprisoning and slaughtering animals is not ok. It never will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

con747 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see moderation on this thread, so I wish you all well and hope you all can live with each other's beliefs and respect each others way of life. If I offended anyone it was not intentional or personal. So I'm signing out of the thread for good. :)

Id' agree and good for you con. Its a discussion after all. No one needs to get personal or project and yes rationality is always good :)

Veganism is the preserve of the privileged. Like electric cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Grass fed meat ( which is so often espoused by some posters on this forum) is the preserve of the privileged. If 7 bilion people were to eat grass fed meat we'd need two planets. And destroy both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

auspicious wrote: »
    Grass fed meat ( which is so often espoused by some posters on this forum) is the preserve of the privileged. If 7 bilion people were to eat grass fed meat we'd need two planets. And destroy both of them.

I left that post visible to show it's been carded. Can you please refrain from posting like this, as you are inviting agitation, as opposed to anticipating it.

I left that post visible to show it's been carded. Can you please refrain from posting like this, as you are inviting agitation, as opposed to anticipating it.

It's not inviting agitation. It is basically refuting a weak premise and an opinion not based in fact.
    Veganism is not of the privileged. It's the most inexpensive diet you can follow. A diet endorsed as least impactful diet one can follow in relation to carbon output.
    So uncard it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not inviting agitation. It is basically refuting a weak premise and an opinion not based in fact.
    Veganism is not of the privileged. It's the most inexpensive diet you can follow. A diet endorsed as least impactful diet one can follow in relation to carbon output.
    So uncard it.

As I said Auspicious, I left it visible to make it known that it is unwanted commentary here. The post has been infracted. You do not need to post in such an agressive and antiganising manner as it is only going to invite agitation.

Come on There was nothing aggressive about it. It was basically an inverted post of the unfounded opinion it was addressing. If anything the unfounded post ( they could hide behind the claim they were uneducated in matters relating to the subject of their post ) was itself inviting agitation and engaging in a derogatory manner.

Come on There was nothing aggressive about it. It was basically an inverted post of the unfounded opinion it was addressing. If anything the unfounded post ( they could hide behind the claim they were uneducated in matters relating to the subject of their post ) was itself inviting agitation and engaging in a derogatory manner.

Which was clearly actioned upon. It wasn't an unfounded opinion. It was trolling. Leave it to the moderators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

Would you mind quoting what claims your talking about and why they are false?

Can the agriculture discussion points please be kept to the Milk and Dairy = Cruelty thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192788

It's quite distracting when pops up and clutters an unrelated thread.

Klopp thanks for the your reply but not sure when you say you struggle with a one size fits all description of veganism and yet seem to describe animal farming in such an absolutist way?

I just wonder why/ how you made your decision there when you say "We are brought up to think it’s ok to imprison and slaughter certain animals for our own pleasure". Now I appreciate you yourself seem to hold that particular belief. However I'm somewhat confused about your use of the 'we'. I certainly dont and I dont know anyone else who does tbh.

In my experience animals such as cattle or sheep are certainly not 'imprisoned' - anymore than any pet animal is. And yes I know cattle here are brought in for winter but that is for welfare reasons. (Btw Im not including any factory style farming as it is not representative of the bulk of family run farms here) And its true that animals are slaughtered for food. But again going back to the 'we' - for me - thats not the same as 'pleasure' at all. No one I've ever met gets any sadistic "pleasure' from that. In fact I know personally it's a process which is incredibly well managed and inspected in this country.

I suppose I'm simply trying to understand what you are saying in the use of 'we' in that regard as its all very confusing tbh. Perhaps you could explain a bit there how you made that leap from your own belief to thinking everyone believes that? Thanks.

gozunda wrote: »
    Klopp thanks for the your reply but not sure when you say you struggle with a one size fits all description of veganism and yet seem to describe animal farming in such an absolutist way?

I just wonder how you made your decision there when you say "We are brought up to think it’s ok to imprison and slaughter certain animals for our own pleasure". Now I appreciate you yourself seem to hold that particular belief. However I'm somewhat confused about your use of the 'we'. I certainly dont and I dont know anyone else who does tbh.

In my experience animals such as cattle or sheep are certainly not 'imprisoned' - anymore than any pet animal is. And yes I know cattle here are brought in for winter but that is for welfare reasons. (Btw Im not including any factory style farming as it is not representative of the bulk of family run farms here) And its true that animals are slaughtered for food. But again going back to the 'we' - for me - thats not the same as 'pleasure' at all. No one I've ever met gets any sadistic "pleasure' from that. In fact I know personally it's a process which is incredibly well managed and inspected in this country. Perhaps you could explain a bit there how you made that leap from your own belief to thinking everyone believes that? Thanks.

I’ve zero interest in discussion with you.

I don’t trust or believe your new found ‘sincerity’.

You’ve spent a lot of time repeatedly accusing me of being ‘full of hate’ so why in gods name would I engage with you ?

So do me a favour and don’t reply to me or my posts.

You’re not fooling anyone.

I’ve zero interest in discussion with you. I don’t trust or believe your new found ‘sincerity’.
    You’ve spent a lot of time repeatedly accusing me of being ‘full of hate’ so why in gods name would I engage with you ?
    So do me a favour and don’t reply to me or my posts. You’re not fooling anyone.

Klopp. This is a discussion nothing more. No need to make it personal. And yes unfortunately some of your comments were little more than hate filled rants directed specifically at farmers and yes directed at me and others. I was not the only poster to comment on that btw. Not going to go over that again tbh. But I had presumed you had moved on. Apparently not.

I had hoped you could give some honest answer to the above. But no matter.

gozunda wrote: »
    Klopp. This is a discussion nothing more. No need to make it personal. And yes unfortunately some of your comnents were little more than hate filled rants directed specifically at farmers and yes directed at me and others. I was not the only poster to comment on that btw. Not going to go over that again tbh. But I had presumed you had moved on. Apparently not.

I had hoped you could give some honest answer to the above. But no matter.

I’ve literally just asked you not to respond to my posts or requests information from me.

So I’ve no idea why you would instantly go ahead and do that.

I’ve literally just asked you not to respond to my posts or requests information from me. So I’ve no idea why you would instantly go ahead and do that.

"No idea" really?

Klopp that was a response to your reply to me. This a discussion forum. If you feel my contributions to the discussion are unsuitable, you can either gloss over them, or report them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I’ve literally just asked you not to respond to my posts or requests information from me.

So I’ve no idea why you would instantly go ahead and do that.

Donald trump would be proud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:

It seems this thread has run its course and anyone with a story about why they became vegan has told it already. I'm closing it and will only reopen it if there's good reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement