Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance and nct

Options
  • 27-10-2020 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

This might be a stupid question but im a relatively new driver and a bit clueless. When enquiring about a quote, do insurance companies know if a car has passed an NCT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

This might be a stupid question but im a relatively new driver and a bit clueless. When enquiring about a quote, do insurance companies know if a car has passed an NCT?

They will ask if it has a valid NCT and ask you to send a copy. Anyone can check if a car has a valid NCT by checking on the NCT website. If your just getting a quote you would need an NCT if going ahead with the policy.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

con747 wrote: »
    They will ask if it has a valid NCT and ask you to send a copy. Anyone can check if a car has a valid NCT by checking on the NCT website. If your just getting a quote you would need an NCT if going ahead with the policy.

Thanks, I got quotes on a couple of cars but only got quotes on cars that had NCT, the ones that didnt have it I couldnt get a quote on them even though I hadnt mentioned or been asked about them having NCT. Im buying a car soon and need to give a deposit but it's only going for NCT this week.

Thanks, I got quotes on a couple of cars but only got quotes on cars that had NCT, the ones that didnt have it I couldnt get a quote on them even though I hadnt mentioned or been asked about them having NCT. Im buying a car soon and need to give a deposit but it's only going for NCT this week.

I would only give the deposit on the condition the car passes the NCT before purchase and if not the deposit is refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Insurance companies must be checking the NCT status automatically these days.

Earlier this year I got asked to put an elderly relative's car through the NCT in a rush as they got a snotty letter from their insurance co to send them a current NCT cert within the next 2 weeks or they would be refusing to issue them a renewal quote which was due about 2 months later.

I would only give the deposit on the condition the car passes the NCT before purchase and if not the deposit is refundable.

Thanks, theyve serviced the car an assured me they wont sell unless it's passed the NCT, they said in the unlikely event that it fails they will fix any issues and put it through NCT again.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Insurance companies must be checking the NCT status automatically these days.

Earlier this year I got asked to put an elderly relative's car through the NCT in a rush as they got a snotty letter from their insurance co to send them a current NCT cert within the next 2 weeks or they would be refusing to issue them a renewal quote which was due about 2 months later.

Thank you, this is what I was thinking but wasnt sure. Would you know if NCT status is automatically updated or does it take a couple of days?

Insurance companies are such a pain to deal with!

Thank you, this is what I was thinking but wasnt sure. Would you know if NCT status is automatically updated or does it take a couple of days?

Insurance companies are such a pain to deal with!

Once it passes it's updated straight away and you will have the certificate showing it passed.

Once it passes it's updated straight away and you will have the certificate showing it passed.

Thank you, apologies for all the questions, I am really clueless but how long usually does a valid NCT last before the car has to be tested again?

Thank you, apologies for all the questions, I am really clueless but how long usually does a valid NCT last before the car has to be tested again?

A car up 4 years old needs none, a car 4 to 9 years old needs one every 2 years. A car over 10 years old needs one every year. A car over 40 years old is exempt.

A car up to 10 years old needs one every 2 years. A car over 10 years old needs one every year. A car over 40 years old is exempt.

Thats good to know, thank you so much for your help :)

• Advertisement

Thats good to know, thank you so much for your help :)

Sorry, I should have said a new car does not need an NCT until it is 4 years old and after that every 2 years until it is 10 years old.

Sorry, I should have also said a new car does not need an NCT until it is 5 years old.

I couldnt afford a new one anyway but also good to know, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know if insurance companies actually check themselves or not. They will ask you when you take out a new policy or renew if the car has a valid NCT. If you lie to them then your giving them an avenue to void your cover at a later date when it is discovered there was no valid NCT. Insurance companies have a nice little clause in their terms and conditions called full disclosure where the onus is put on the policy holder to be honest about any information they give when seeking insurance cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks, theyve serviced the car an assured me they wont sell unless it's passed the NCT, they said in the unlikely event that it fails they will fix any issues and put it through NCT again.

Yup, 'it will sail through the NCT', we've heard that one before.

Do not hand over one cent until the car passes the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't know if insurance companies actually check themselves or not. They will ask you when you take out a new policy or renew if the car has a valid NCT. If you lie to them then your giving them an avenue to void your cover at a later date when it is discovered there was no valid NCT. Insurance companies have a nice little clause in their terms and conditions called full disclosure where the onus is put on the policy holder to be honest about any information they give when seeking insurance cover.

I renewed my insurance today and i wasn't asked. In fact i cant remember ever been asked. if they have the reg they know. When I was renewing last year I was told by a broker that some companies wouldn't quote me because my NCT was out. They can get that info from the reg easily enough

Advertisement