Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone upgraded their broadband lately? Looking for some advice.

• 27-10-2020 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Living in a rural area but eir fibre is available in the area. Tried to get it in about 18 months ago but the hassle and messing from eir lead to us being without any broadband at all for months. Both myself and other half are currently working full time from home and it seems to be putting a lot of pressure on our eir broadband to the extent where our work zoom calls during the day can be a nightmare.

So I’m wondering what my options might be. I could try eir again and go for fibre to the home... but dealing with them can be nightmare and I just can’t be without broadband at all for any period of time. If I do go with eir and upgrade to FTTH there is some work that I think they need to carry out to bring the FTTH from the road to the house, not a large distance but as we’re renting we’re reluctant to do this.

Currently our download speeds with eir are in single digit MBPS... and as we’re out of contract it’s currently costing €60 per month.

So, are there any other providers that we can get that could be an improvement on these speeds that we wouldn’t need to dig anything up or run underground wires?

We have Sky TV so if there was anything that they provided then that might be a goer.

Basically, we don’t know where to go to get advice on what might be the best broadband to get... so I’m hoping that some of you guys out there might be in a position to give some advice.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭con747

Living in a rural area but eir fibre is available in the area. Tried to get it in about 18 months ago but the hassle and messing from eir lead to us being without any broadband at all for months. Both myself and other half are currently working full time from home and it seems to be putting a lot of pressure on our eir broadband to the extent where our work zoom calls during the day can be a nightmare.

So I’m wondering what my options might be. I could try eir again and go for fibre to the home... but dealing with them can be nightmare and I just can’t be without broadband at all for any period of time. If I do go with eir and upgrade to FTTH there is some work that I think they need to carry out to bring the FTTH from the road to the house, not a large distance but as we’re renting we’re reluctant to do this.

Currently our download speeds with eir are in single digit MBPS... and as we’re out of contract it’s currently costing €60 per month.

So, are there any other providers that we can get that could be an improvement on these speeds that we wouldn’t need to dig anything up or run underground wires?

We have Sky TV so if there was anything that they provided then that might be a goer.

Basically, we don’t know where to go to get advice on what might be the best broadband to get... so I’m hoping that some of you guys out there might be in a position to give some advice.

Many thanks.

What area roughly are you talking about? Have you looked at mobile broadband, how is your mobile signal, check where your nearest mobile mast is and see if you could get 4g.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FTTH increases property values per other EU nations. Installing it is an asset. Speak to your landlord to get permission for the drop to be run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Many thanks.
    Sky, Vodafone etc use Eir's network. If there is work to be carried out within your property it may not be fully covered by Eir installation fee. (Eg clearing a blocked duct). However, this is a once-off cost which could be claimed as a Capital Allowance by your landlord, offsetting tax for next 8 years. It also enhances asset value of property. Don't try WFH over mobile - it could work fine for a while and then deteriorate when some neighbours start downloading. FTTH is a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

In my experience, the real catch is Wired vs Wireless
    I'm on Virgin Media and recently upgraded from 120Mbps to 240Mbps as I was out of contract and it was actually cheaper. I hardly noticed any difference on my Wifi, my computer is a fair distance from my router. Try and work wired to your router if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Internet job

Upgraded to Vodafone FTTH gigabit broadband last week. Incredible service. Ordered on Bank Holiday Sunday and installed the following Friday. You won't get 1000mbps but I get 300 to 400 regularly and it gets to 500 at times. Upload constant a 100mbps. 12 month deal for €40 a month. I work from home, zoom calls all day and never a hassle. I'm in a very rural area on a back road and apparently my house is the last house in the road that can get FTTH. Had 3 wireless broadband prior to this at €30 per month. It was very good in the summer but in winter, wind, rain, snow and fog will effect the signal and speeds. Would fully recommend Vodafone gigabit broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 kopfile1

watch out they throttle me every night from 6-11 . I have ping tests and screenshots of speedtests to proove it . STAY AWAY their customer service is non existence they deny everything .The rest of the day its great 940mb/s 100 up but to me its left a sour taste of dishonest business I'm trying to get out of my contract AVOID AVOID

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

kopfile1 wrote: »
    watch out they throttle me every night from 6-11 . I have ping tests and screenshots of speedtests to proove it . STAY AWAY their customer service is non existence they deny everything .The rest of the day its great 940mb/s 100 up but to me its left a sour taste of dishonest business I'm trying to get out of my contract AVOID AVOID

Is this Eir or Vodafone?
    Because it sounds like Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

Oink wrote: »
    Is this Eir or Vodafone?
    Because it sounds like Eir.
    Nah, Eir have much more superior network to Vodafone, you really see the difference in COVID 19 times.
    Especially if you on Gigabit package , Vodafone just couldn’t provide it during the peak time.
    It is not throttling of course, it is just super congested network.
    I wouldn’t touch customer service , it is dare for both.

Advertisement