Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuelta a España stage 7:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

19k left till the end at the top of that. Doubt there'll be too much action but if you're isolated going up the second time and a strong team (Yes, Jumbo, or Ineos maybe now that they seem to have refound their jiffy bag, er mojo) were to distance you, those 19k could be costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well lads....I'm looking for Vuelta highlights but not having much luck apart from the 5 min Eurosport ones on YouTube.

I know ITV4 have an hour long show in the evenings but the time is awkward and I'm with Sky so can't record it.

Cheers cm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Try NBCSports on youtube they usually have about a 20min highlights package

stage 6 below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HyLSzARKhk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Well lads....I'm looking for Vuelta highlights but not having much luck apart from the 5 min Eurosport ones on YouTube.

I know ITV4 have an hour long show in the evenings but the time is awkward and I'm with Sky so can't record it.

Cheers cm

I'm very quickly starting to hate that song that is at the start of Vuelta highlights

Late tuning in, how the hell did some of these guys get in the break. Must have been chaos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

that Bora rider look seriously hurt, his bike is some distance off the road, did they catch what happened?

The break has 3/4 riders from some teams. It's about 1 GC man away from being a reduced peleton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Boscoirl wrote: »
    that Bora rider look seriously hurt, his bike is some distance off the road, did they catch what happened?

Yeah that looked pretty bad alright, the replay didn't seem to capture what happened, camera seemed to be quite a way behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I know some don't want any commentator talk but Kelly being so happy with his Paris Cheese joke (in for Paris Camembert) made my day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Godon is some unit - like a latter-day Eros Poli

• Advertisement

Wow, Ineos have nobody in the peleton. Jumbo's big domestiques are in the break. Don't think there's any Israelis either. Are EF going to make a move for McCarthy?

Edit: Forgot Carapaz is in Red. Still looks like only 2 per team in the peleton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

no bother for old man valverde

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Remind me never to play the Sean Kelly "yes, well" drinking game.

retalivity wrote: »
    no bother for old man valverde

He just keeps rollin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Chapeau to 'Mick' Woods on the win.

Before the Vuelta I only ever heard him being called 'Michael'.

Ended up being a classics kinda race. GC lads not interested. Big day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

Why do the RTE reports always tell you where Sam Bennet is placed in the overall standings as if it is of any relevance? I don't know why, but it's starting to annoy me.

Another entertaining race today I have to say. I never really watched the Vuelta before but there aren't too many dull races in it if this is anything to go by.

redlead wrote: »
    Why do the RTE reports always tell you where Sam Bennet is placed in the overall standings as if it is of any relevance? I don't know why, but it's starting to annoy me.

That's par for the course for RTE. The concept of stage races & Grand Tours is not that difficult to understand but they don't seem to have a clue unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Another entertaining race today I have to say. I never really watched the Vuelta before but there aren't too many dull races in it if this is anything to go by.

TodayFMs news report at 5pm was "Not a great day for Dan martin who finished 34th" and then went something like,, but holds 3rd and finished with the gc group. Do the sports depts of our radio and tv stations think frrome was top 3 on every stage he rode in his 3 in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

In the past 10 years, I'd say the Vuelta has been the most entertaining of the GTs for about 7 of them. There's nearly always some drama and unpredictability. Long range attacks and ambushes like Fuente De or Formigal have gone down in legend. Leadership changing hands in the last day or two is nearly the norm. Rarely ever does one team manage to put a dominant train in front to kill the excitement so you get real head to head battles and finally there's the pure brutality of some of the climbing.

• Advertisement

That's par for the course for RTE. The concept of stage races & Grand Tours is not that difficult to understand but they don't seem to have a clue unfortunately.

I remember an interview with Cavendish years ago on Eurosport where he is talking about how angry he gets when people start asking him why he hasn't been able to win the Tour yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

neris wrote: »
    TodayFMs news report at 5pm was "Not a great day for Dan martin who finished 34th" and then went something like,, but holds 3rd and finished with the gc group. Do the sports depts of our radio and tv stations think frrome was top 3 on every stage he rode in his 3 in a row

I heard that and when they started with "not a great day ..." I assumed he was out the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Actually it is a difficult concept for some people, I've often been asked if the leader gets an odd based on the fact that he's leading the race i.e. he starts 34 seconds (or whatever) ahead of the bunch.

Also people cant understand how the lad who comes in last in the bunch gets same time as the winner.

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Actually it is a difficult concept for some people, I've often been asked if the leader gets an odd based on the fact that he's leading the race i.e. he starts 34 seconds (or whatever) ahead of the bunch.

Also people cant understand how the lad who comes in last in the bunch gets same time as the winner.

That's true for joe bloggs... but if people working in sports media/journalism are not grasping the concept, then they should have a think about switching careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's worse with "Off The Ball"/ Newstalk/ TodayFM. Seem to have enough grasp of cycling to turn every conceivable good news story into one about doping. Even managed to do that with Sam's Green Jersey win - a couple of days after decide to have Whittle on.

Can grasp the nuances of the history of the sport, but not the concept of how the GC and stages work?

Finnrocco wrote: »

That's grand for regular folk but RTE and the likes pay people to know about sport but yet would be put to shame by half the multi sport enthusiasts that you would find in any pub in the country

Advertisement