Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eBike on Cycle to Work scheme

• 27-10-2020 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to invest in an eBike under the cycle to work scheme, the longest journey I'd be doing would be ~ 30km range on roads. I can use up to the full amount, so any recommendations for me?

Unfortunately I'm restricted to shops under biketowork.ie

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

I was looking at them online in Halfords for a friend, they get decent reviews but I have no experience with them. I believe they are their own brand, but have good battery ranges. https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/electric-bikes/ Prices from €940.00

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know nothing about e-scooters except what I was told recently by my local LBS which was that many of them cannot be serviced locally due to a lack of parts, tools and skills.
    For that reason, I would see how easy it is to source and fit parts for any potential e-scooter. Talk to your LBS about what they have. Talk to Halfords (Personally I'd not look there but that's probably just a bias).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

I know nothing about e-scooters except what I was told recently by my local LBS which was that many of them cannot be serviced locally due to a lack of parts, tools and skills.
    For that reason, I would see how easy it is to source and fit parts for any potential e-scooter. Talk to your LBS about what they have. Talk to Halfords (Personally I'd not look there but that's probably just a bias).

He asked about ebikes, not escooters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yeah - distracted here - sorry

you're going to have to go a good bit over the €1,500 e-bike biketowork max tax assisted figure to get a reasonable e-bike in a shop in Ireland I would say.

what is your max budget (including the €1,500 max)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Limerick

Talk to Paul in Kilmallock cycles.

He's a great guy to deal with and stocks Orbea and Giant e-bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

glasso wrote: »
    you're going to have to go a good bit over the €1,500 e-bike biketowork max tax assisted figure to get a reasonable e-bike in a shop in Ireland I would say.
    +1, some are unaware you can go over the limit. Mine was 3k.

The new limits do not make much sense, €1250 will get a very good regular bike, €1500 gets a mediocre if not substandard ebike.

I don't know where they came up with this €250 extra amount. I suppose its better than nothing extra like it originally was, but the a new battery alone for mine is ~€500. The grants for electric cars is a lot more.

Advertisement