Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State decides not to appeal judgement in Ian Bailey case.

Options
  • 27-10-2020 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1027/1174142-ian-bailey-appeal/
    The State will not appeal a High Court judgment made earlier this month that rejected the extradition of Ian Bailey to France.

Mr Justice Paul Burns also awarded costs against the State at the High Court hearing.

An approved copy of the judgment made on 12 October will also be made available to French authorities.

I hope this draws a line under the case.

I don't know what the French authorities will do but it must be remembered that, although the Irish constitution lets EU law prevail over Irish law when there's a conflict between them, it doesn't let the domestic law of another EU member state prevail over Irish law. Furthermore, as far as I know, the constitutional rights relating to due process are pretty much replicated in the European Convention on Human Rights, to which the EU itself is a signatory under the Lisbon Treaty.

Advertisement