Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting down tree on street verges?

Options
  • 27-10-2020 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Are people allowed to cut down tree on the verge outside their home? Trees that have been cut down haven't been diseased.

I've googled this but can't find an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

No they are council property, or maybe management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

A neighbour in front of my house is side on. There were two trees planted in the curb which were quite thick and tall. I was happy with them and the neighbour never even bothered cutting the grass along the verge (I always did it along with the grass on my side of the road). One day he decided that they were his property and chopped them down as they cast a shadow over his back garden. I was disgusted. I reported him to the council (DLRCOCO) who planted two replacements and billed him for the privilege!

(Thank goodness for Google Street View)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

homer911 wrote: »
    A neighbour in front of my house is side on. There were two trees planted in the curb which were quite thick and tall. I was happy with them and the neighbour never even bothered cutting the grass along the verge (I always did it along with the grass on my side of the road). One day he decided that they were his property and chopped them down as they cast a shadow over his back garden. I was disgusted. I reported him to the council (DLRCOCO) who planted two replacements and billed him for the privilege!

Fair play to you. I'm too much of a coward to do this. It's so sad because what attracted us to our street was that it was leafy and beautiful. These people seemed to have only cut them down because they don't want to deal with the leaves.
    A large bushy, wild but pretty area was completely cut back to the soil recently. Wild birds nested in there and I saw hedgehogs going in and out of it last winter. It was such a pointless thing to do because they don't plan to landscape it, they just took it upon themselves to destroy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ClubDead wrote: »
    Fair play to you. I'm too much of a coward to do this.
    you can probably do it anonymously. i had a situation where i reported someone for back yard burning - the council won't handle the complaint without your name and address (to discourage frivolous/malicious complaints), but this is for council records only; certainly in the example i gave anyway.

You can certainly do it anonymously. I doubt any council would divulge any info from a complainant, but you can request confirmation of this from them too. I really think you should report this. I have done the same before, the council will be just as ticked off as you are; if you know of a likely sympathetic councillor, no harm ccing them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

homer911 wrote: »

It warmed the cockles of my heart reading this! Well done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can probably do it anonymously. i had a situation where i reported someone for back yard burning - the council won't handle the complaint without your name and address (to discourage frivolous/malicious complaints), but this is for council records only; certainly in the example i gave anyway.
    just a coda to the above. i ended up ringing the fire brigade, as the council would have only sent someone out a day later, and the smoke was quite noxious.

DFB arrived within 15 minutes, doused the fire, and would have charged a malicious callout fee (either €500 or €1000 i think). so win win.

it was some lads who had been paid to strip out an ex-rental house, and were tearing out cheap fitted wardrobes - plastic coated MDF or fibreboard - and were burning them in the back garden.

Advertisement