Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC from Overclockers

Options
  • 27-10-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My current PC was put together in June 2012 and is still going strong, with only an SSD failure in the 8 years. It's used everyday for up to 16 hours or so. It's served me well.

I have been thinking for a while about upgrading. I can't be bothered building, and I heard good reviews about Overclockers. Here's what I've specced:
    CPU|AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - MPK
    Motherboard|MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard
    CPU Cooler|Asetek 570LC 120mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - AMD
    Memory|Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
    M.2 Solid State Drive 1|Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    M.2 Solid State Drive 2|Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    Mechanical Hard Drive 1|Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache Hard Drive - *System Stock*
    Power Supply|Kolink Continuum 1050W 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply
    Network Adapter|ADDON Wireless AC Dual Band 1200Mbps PCI-e Adapter (AWP1200E)
    Cases|be quiet! Silent Base 801 Midi Tower Case - Black Window
    Graphics Card|MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio 10GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card

This will be used for general internet messing, video editing, gaming at night time, streaming to the TV, etc. I've a NAS for storage and the 2TB drive would be a backup of the important stuff on the NAS.

What do ye think? Any components not compatible? Improvements to be made anywhere? Overkill anywhere (the RAM is 32GB as it's the same price as 16Gb!)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Hi all,

My current PC was put together in June 2012 and is still going strong, with only an SSD failure in the 8 years. It's used everyday for up to 16 hours or so. It's served me well.

I have been thinking for a while about upgrading. I can't be bothered building, and I heard good reviews about Overclockers. Here's what I've specced:
    Memory|Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
    M.2 Solid State Drive 1|Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    M.2 Solid State Drive 2|Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    Mechanical Hard Drive 1|Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache Hard Drive - *System Stock*
    Graphics Card|MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio 10GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card

This will be used for general internet messing, video editing, gaming at night time, streaming to the TV, etc. I've a NAS for storage and the 2TB drive would be a backup of the important stuff on the NAS.

What do ye think? Any components not compatible? Improvements to be made anywhere? Overkill anywhere (the RAM is 32GB as it's the same price as 16Gb!)?
    Wait 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd be waiting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭roosterman71

SickBoy wrote: »
    Wait 3 weeks
    I'd be waiting too.

Wait am I waiting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

New CPUs and new GPUs are coming to market. Zen 3 and Big Navi. Do a google for the 3600X successor, the 5600X.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wait am I waiting for?

we're weeks away from new generation AMD CPUs which are going to be fastest in the industry for some time. Nvidia and AMD are also in the middle of launching new GPUs. Now is the right time to plan a build but the wrong day to pull a trigger. AMD's GPU announcement is tomorrow and CPUs wont be available for a couple more weeks.

• Advertisement

I had heard about the new launches alright. Should I be wary of a major price hike vs. what I currently have picked?

I had heard about the new launches alright. Should I be wary of a major price hike vs. what I currently have picked?

Not exactly.
    Worst case is you get what you've speced for cheaper.

Price shouldn't go up on your hardware. The newer stuff might get scalped, that's about it.

The old hardware won't see dramatic drops in prices, not drops that match the performance trade-off - 5-10% off is what I've seen but the performance differential between old and new is about 25% per core, with more cores per like SKU. I was VERY disappointed with Prime day, suffice to say you're not getting a steal on Zen 2 CPUs while you wait for Zen 3 CPUs. If you can wait, definitely wait.

OK. Thanks. I see no date mentioned for the GPUs yet. I'll check back in here in a few weeks with an update.

OK. Thanks. I see no date mentioned for the GPUs yet. I'll check back in here in a few weeks with an update.

Check back in 24 hours. The announcement is livestreaming in 22 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Any components not compatible?

Wouldn't worry about that, if you built it with their configuration picker.
    And they will build and test it.

I bought an Intel Core i5 10400 6-core recently from them, very happy with it. But as others said, expect a 3-week wait.
    I read that 6-core processors maxed out the ram at 2400Mhz, so if you buy faster it may not be used.
    Also read that Intel chips had better/faster memory controllers than AMD.

While I am in I.T. I don't usually keep track of hardware, so open to correction.
    I just wanted something decent to play the new Ms Flight Sim.

We didn't mean a 3 week lead time on the build we meant wait 3 weeks for the next gen hardware :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

you don't need the x cpu the 5 3600 will be fine but in 2021 Feb amd will bring out it's faster cpu and expect intel to follow.make sure your memory is on m
    motherboard approved lust as ryzen has some problems
    i would wait until the 3080 boards have the good capacitors
    as some put more cheap that dail

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-stealthily-revamps-geforce-rtx-3080-design-amid-stability-concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

First of all, good luck getting any nVidia Ampere 3000 series card. At this point most would agree that nVidia basically had a paper launch with impressive statistics and marketing, but few actual cards to sell and fewer still that haven't had problems. Second, AMD is about to shake things up with its 5000 series CPUs and 6000 series graphics cards, that's all coming in the near future.

AMD claims that their 5000 series CPUs are a major improvement over their 3000 series CPUs, but that is mainly true in gaming. By all accounts the 3000s are good all-around processors but they fell behind Intel architectures in gaming. The 5000 series will correct that. So if gaming is going to be important, you may want to wait for Ryzen 5000 series CPUs to be commonly available.

With specific regard to the nvidia ampere graphics cards, there's been some suggestion that system builders have a more generous allocation of cards than general retailers, so if you absolutely, flat out, must haven Ampere graphics card now or very soon, getting a new system built with one may be the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't say it's true at all to say that "if gaming's important, wait for the 5000 series".

What would be true is "if high refresh gaming is important..."

Ryzen 5600X is gonna be decently faster than Ryzen 3600. However, it's also £120 odd more expensive, and at the end of the day they are both 6 core 12 thread processors.

I would say it's worth waiting for the new AMD GPU's to see where the market lies in a months time, definitely.

CPU wise, unless you plan getting a 144hz display, you're fine now with the Ryzen 3600.

Homelander wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's true at all to say that "if gaming's important, wait for the 5000 series".

Ryzen 5600X is gonna be decently faster than Ryzen 3600. However, it's also £120 odd more expensive, and at the end of the day they are both 8 core 16 thread processors.

I would say it's worth waiting for the new AMD GPU's to see where the market lies in a months time, definitely.

CPU wise, unless you plan getting a 144hz display, you're fine now with the Ryzen 3600.

The 3/5600x is a six core.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sorry, that was actually a typo/brain fart, meant to say 6/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Homelander wrote: »

Ryzen 5600X is gonna be decently faster than Ryzen 3600. However, it's also £120 odd more expensive, and at the end of the day they are both 6 core 12 thread processors.

The OP is looking at at 3600X not a 3600, I agree the 3600 is a good processor but the difference in price between a 3600X and a 5600X will be considerably less than that between a 3600 and a 5600X.

I'd also accept, even agree, that a 3600 would be a great choice for a lower budget build, but given the initial specs listed in the OP, it looks like they're going all-in on performance. Under that circumstance, it definitely makes sense to wait for Zen 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

SeanW wrote: »
    The OP is looking at at 3600X not a 3600, I agree the 3600 is a good processor but the difference in price between a 3600X and a 5600X will be considerably less than that between a 3600 and a 5600X.

I'd also accept, even agree, that a 3600 would be a great choice for a lower budget build, but given the initial specs listed in the OP, it looks like they're going all-in on performance. Under that circumstance, it definitely makes sense to wait for Zen 3.

The difference between the 3600x and the 3600 is €50, a slightly different heatsink, and the letter X.

It's the same chip, the X is just factory overclocked. The difference between the X and non X is minimal.

The 5600x will be significantly faster than both.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

I read that 6-core processors maxed out the ram at 2400Mhz, so if you buy faster it may not be used.
    Also read that Intel chips had better/faster memory controllers than AMD.

While I am in I.T. I don't usually keep track of hardware, so open to correction.

The opposite in this case; OP would be better to up the RAM speed from 3000 MHz to 3600 Mhz for this build; that's the sweet spot for Zen 2 performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am on the verge of a rebuild too and will hold out to see what all the shiny new stuff holds.

The 5600x will be about €100 more than the 3600

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pointywalnut

I am curious for the need to buy a wireless network card when the motherboard comes with Wifi.

Hi all,

I am curious for the need to buy a wireless network card when the motherboard comes with Wifi.

Didn't think the board had wifi.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Didn't think the board had wifi.

That's what I was wondering too. I presume with the name MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi, it has WiFi.

Have you pressed the trigger on this yet?

That MSI X570 Tomahawk has droped to £189 at some retailers. Tempted to order it now myself

Not bought yet. Am waiting to see what the AMD cards due out on Thursday are like.

Not bought yet. Am waiting to see what the AMD cards due out on Thursday are like.

You mean graphics cards? If it's anything like the AMD processors they will be sold out within a minute

Yeah I mean the graphics. I'm happy to wait once ordering. Machine I have is still humming away without issue. Upgrade is not critical

Advertisement