Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X screen lifting

Options
  • 27-10-2020 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all, I popped off my case yesterday and noticed the left hand side of my screen is popping out, separating from the frame. Bit of Googling tells me this is more than likely a swollen battery. Anyone experienced this? Is their any immediate danger or can I just pop the case back on and carry on as normal? Given level 5 restrictions I doubt there’s anywhere I can take the phone to be looked at, apple don’t seem to have any email support to contact them and I couldn’t be without a phone for however long it would take to send it off to them for repair. I was briefly tempted last week to sell it in cex and get the 12 but I’d say they wouldn’t touch it now with the screen lifting like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I had a swollen battery on an original iPod many years ago. I was on a train to Limerick, and the iPod started acting up. Started inspecting it and I tugged at the back of the case a bit. Next thing it flew off across the carriage. Got some quare looks from the other passengers. The battery had swollen up like a pillow, crushed the hard drive and blew the back of the case off.

If you do actually suspect a damaged battery, given lithium-ion batteries ability to explode when damaged, I'd personally be very careful about using or charging the phone. I doubt Apple would let you send it off for repair anyway, since no courier would accept a damaged Li-ion battery.

First up, check the battery health on your phone in Settings > Battery > Battery Health and see what is says.

Run though Apple's online support wizard: https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=psp&PRKEYS=. I used this in the first lockdown for an issue with an AirPod, and was put through to an online chat with a support agent, who was very helpful. I'm not sure if their online chat is working this time, but that would be the way to contact them if they are.

Compu-B are still open for repairs, as mobile repairs and sales are regarded an an essential service, so you'd be able to get on to them an make an appointment to bring it in. I assume many smaller phone repair places are open too, if you don't have a Compu-b nearby or don't want to pay their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

I had a swollen battery on an original iPod many years ago. I was on a train to Limerick, and the iPod started acting up. Started inspecting it and I tugged at the back of the case a bit. Next thing it flew off across the carriage. Got some quare looks from the other passengers. The battery had swollen up like a pillow, crushed the hard drive and blew the back of the case off.

If you do actually suspect a damaged battery, given lithium-ion batteries ability to explode when damaged, I'd personally be very careful about using or charging the phone. I doubt Apple would let you send it off for repair anyway, since no courier would accept a damaged Li-ion battery.

First up, check the battery health on your phone in Settings > Battery > Battery Health and see what is says.

Run though Apple's online support wizard: https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=psp&PRKEYS=. I used this in the first lockdown for an issue with an AirPod, and was put through to an online chat with a support agent, who was very helpful. I'm not sure if their online chat is working this time, but that would be the way to contact them if they are.

Compu-B are still open for repairs, as mobile repairs and sales are regarded an an essential service, so you'd be able to get on to them an make an appointment to bring it in. I assume many smaller phone repair places are open too, if you don't have a Compu-b nearby or don't want to pay their prices.

Thanks for the detailed response, I’m onto live chat with apple at the moment but I’d say a trip to compub would probably be the best option in case I’m completely wrong about the battery. Iv had a case on it since the day I bought it and have no memory of ever dropping it. Battery health says 91% and had no performance issues. I wouldn’t have even noticed had I not switched out my SIM card. But still better safe than sorry I’d rather get it looked at sooner rather than later in case my instincts on the battery are correct

Advertisement