Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the government run 'Benefit of Work and JS Estimator' correct or bs?

Options
  • 27-10-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I've been unemployed since 31st August 2020. I signed on and now my income is €203 per week. I have an interview with one of the german retailers shortly offering €12.30 per hour and I want to see if it is worth taking it or just keep looking for another better paid job - which could take a while in this climate.

There's no one I can talk to at my local Intreo office (closed for COVID or whatever reason) and no one picks up the phone.

I am separated, 3 children, 1 over 12 years old and 2 under, no medical card, living in same house as the wife unfortunately, she gets child benefit.

Wife is working, she earns about €37,000 per year I would say. We both split mortgage/family expenses equally.

So my question is, is it true that in my current circumstances that if I am working 30 hours over 4 or 5 days a week at €12.30 per hour my income - social welfare included - will come out €578.49 per week after tax??

I get the €578.49 figure here: https://www.mywelfare.ie/benefitofworkjsestimator

which is a government website. Is it bs?? From what I've read online and heard you could only work up to 3 days per week max and still get the dole? €578.49 seems high.

Also, €203 for a dad with 3 kids seems wrong by what I've read, but maybe that's a matter for another thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Which payment were you basing the figures on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 walter the second

Which payment were you basing the figures on?

On the Estimator Page there's 4 options and I select the second one, Jobseeker's Benefit.

Maybe it is assuming when I select 'Separated' I am the sole custodian of 3 children when in fact the situation is that my ex and I are financially supporting them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭shmeee

• Registered Users Posts: 14 walter the second

Cheers thanks for that information.

So it looks like that, even though I am separated, the case being that I am living in the same home as my 'wife' and as we both support our 3 kids, I should really be describing my situation as 'married' (option 3) in the estimator?

That would give me a net income of €428.26 at 40 hours per week over 4/5 days (no benefits at all, just being paid by employer for work done) rather than the €578.49 when I describe myself as separated. That figure must assume that I am the sole carer/contributor for my 3 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Those calculators only work for set sets of circumstances. The disability one is the same, if doesn’t calculate my benefit of work figures correctly because I have means and am not on the full disability payment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement