Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Initials and covert racism

Options
  • 27-10-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭

In Quizs and Games there is a thread called ''Famous Initials [omit QXZ - see op mod notes] ''. This thread is a form of covert racism. By excluding the letters QXZ, this thread excludes famous Eastern European and Asian. It also excludes people who are from these areas in participating in this thread.

Covert racism is insidious in its nature. Deciding. to exclude letters that are not common in western European but commonly used in Asian and Eastern European names is a form of racist exclusion. The rules on this thread should be changed

Slava Ukrainii

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Might be best to finish what you’ve started here Bass before opening another thread on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Might be best to finish what you’ve started here Bass before opening another thread on the subject.

The other thread has already admitted it is unwilling to deal with the racism part of the issue. I have already given full disclosure on that thread. The Category moderator wants it in straight yes or no fashion. If he is not willing to adjudicate on its I have disclosed then that is his choice.

It has been indicated to me that the yellow card would be only dealt with on the disputes form Beasty asked me to hold off on following the covert racism until it was dealt with. However it has dragged on longer than I am willing to continue with.

This is a separate issue now. It up to moderator/administrators to deal with this now. Either I am wrong it is not or else the thread has to be opened to all Initials.

I include Beasty post
    Beasty wrote: »
    Bass Reeves

This thread will only deal with the yellow card you picked up for ignoring a mod instruction

If you have a wider complaint to make, or wish to dispute a threadban, please start a thread in Help Desk. Please await the conclusion of this appeal before doing so though

Thanks[/quote

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Either I am wrong it is not or else the thread has to be opened to all Initials.

You are wrong.

That thread has its own rules to keep the game at a fun pace. You can either subscribe to the rules and play by them, or you can choose not to play. It's only a game ffs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In Quizs and Games there is a thread called ''Famous Initials [omit QXZ - see op mod notes] ''. This thread is a form of covert racism. By excluding the letters QXZ, this thread excludes famous Eastern European and Asian. It also excludes people who are from these areas in participating in this thread.

Covert racism is insidious in its nature. Deciding. to exclude letters that are not common in western European but commonly used in Asian and Eastern European names is a form of racist exclusion. The rules on this thread should be changed

Are you actually serious? The rules are there to make it more fun and so people don't have to be googling obscure (to Irish people anyways) famous people with names of those letters. To make the thread flow easier. It's obvious why the rules are there to me anyways.

Just because you got smacked on the nose for not following the rules as directed by a mod does not make it racism.

Don't like the rules, don't play the game - it really is that simple.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I made it clear OP - this topic is for Help Desk, not "Feedback"

I also indicated you should await the conclusion of your dispute thread

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As you have started this thread I will provide my own input

This is one of the most bizarre "claims" I have seen in all my time on this site. You seriously think making the rules of a game a bit easier for everyone in this way can be considered covert racism?

As I say - bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I think you are looking to find an issue where none exists. On this thread & the other one, you are throwing out a lot of allegations in an aggressive manner. Letters themselves are not in anyway assigned to a race. That is what the rule of the game is. No letter X.

If it was No <<insert race/Nationality>> Here then, yes you would have a point.

The game rules were set up to make it as inclusive to as many posters as possible. I post frequently across a number of threads. It is a great place to go & switch the brain off & destress from the baggage of real life. If I had to come up with a person with initials XZ, then it would turn me off being active in the thread. I am sure there would be more like it. I want to enjoy a forum, not get researching homework from it. I am not a moderator in that forum, but putting myself in their shoes, this would be my reasoning for implementing this rule change.

Mod across the whole site want to keep their patch as active as possible. No one wants to have a tumbleweed of a forum. No good for the site as a whole either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The game excludes a huge portion is of names from Eastern European and Asian population based. Using the excuse that it makes the game easier only re-enforces the fact that it is covert.

This aligns the game to Irish, European and American names. It therefore fulfills one of the the criteria for covert racism that is the informal exclusion of people from certain cultural backgrounds. By excluding these names it excludes people from these cultures of taking part in the game.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

The game excludes a huge portion is of names from Eastern European and Asian population based. Using the excuse that it makes the game easier only re-enforces the fact that it is covert.

This aligns the game to Irish, European and American names. It therefore fulfills one of the the criteria for covert racism that is the informal exclusion of people from certain cultural backgrounds. By excluding these names it excludes people from these cultures of taking part in the game.

I don't agree that it excludes people from these cultures in taking part on the game.
    And I would question how huge is the portion of names that fall under the 3 letters excluded from the games, especially for Eastern Europeans. I reckon the portion would be bigger in Chinese names where X and Z are commonly used but I still think there are lots of Chinese names that wouldn't start with these 3 letters.

You've had input from an Admin

I'm not seeing anything more to be said TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,999 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there's anything stopping OP starting whatever game he wants with whatever kind of rules he wants. We all win, he can come up with as many QZs as he wants that way and the other thread can continue mainly without the use of Google.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You can either subscribe to the rules and play by them, or you can choose not to play. It's only a game ffs

Agreed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement