Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Aiden - Saturday October 31st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Awake since about 4:30 here in Kilkenny, thought the roof was after coming off the house.

It’s raining very heavily here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Calm in cork city. Good timing for the spin to work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Woke up to very strong gusts here in Limerick in the last 30 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Wild in Wicklow. Just had the dogs out for a walk before the worst hits and it's pretty bad already. Dogs weren't impressed with sideways rain slapping them in the face so was a short walk. There was a gust of 57mph in the wee hours according to Wicklow weather station. Waves are big and clean looking. I'd imagine the local surf spot will be inundated. Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Loudest rain Iv heard in a good while!

rainshowers.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's some details on timing, later discussion may fine tune this a bit ...

for eastern counties, expect the strong winds to continue from south until a squall line passes around 1100h, shifting winds to westerly. Those winds will be equally strong for a brief period but you will notice considerable improvement after about 2 or 3 p.m. ... then a relatively minor second peak of moderately strong southwesterlies by Sunday daybreak, that also moderating gradually.

for south coast, this sequence will be faster, the squall line is already forming inland west, should be passing through Waterford around 10 a.m., so that's about when winds will veer westerly there. Inland southeast, split the difference. Same general idea for second round.

for west coast counties and most of Connacht, west Ulster, the squall line is less of a factor, winds will gradually veer from south to southwest then west, maintaining or even building on current levels, peak around 1100h, then slowly abate (further north you are, slower). The second round may be fairly intense especially in Connemara and Mayo, that will peak around 0200h Sunday.

Inland north central to midlands, squall line fairly soon, wind shift, gradual improvement this afternoon, ramping up to fairly strong again tonight peaking around 0300h.

Graces7, you could expect peaks around 10-11 a.m. today and 0200h middle of the night, should calm down considerably between these peaks and by Sunday mid-day.

Monday a rather minor afterthought trough will pass and there will be a moderate peak of winds across the country around early afternoon (in the 50-80 km/hr range mostly).

Then a delightful calm period will follow (gradually, Thursday and Friday look to be almost wind-free days).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some strong gusts now and driving rain in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Seems to be a lull in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I suspect this won't quite live up to expectations for many (although I am guessing that many here already lowered their expectations anyway). It's a vigorous enough system but more yellow than orange, the orange verification is going to be isolated at best. If Zeta wasn't there to rob this system of any cold advection, it might help it.

Still, don't let your guard down especially until that squall line feature is past you.

Tonight from all indications will be more moderate than extreme too.

(comments not meant to apply to any Galway Bay surge potential, that's a concern for next high tide)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lull in Kildare now

Ditto here.

Highest gust in 0800 reports is 94kmh at Mace Head.

Have not seen any station exceed 100kmh gust this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here's some details on timing, later discussion may fine tune this a bit ...

for eastern counties, expect the strong winds to continue from south until a squall line passes around 1100h, shifting winds to westerly. Those winds will be equally strong for a brief period but you will notice considerable improvement after about 2 or 3 p.m. ... then a relatively minor second peak of moderately strong southwesterlies by Sunday daybreak, that also moderating gradually.

for south coast, this sequence will be faster, the squall line is already forming inland west, should be passing through Waterford around 10 a.m., so that's about when winds will veer westerly there. Inland southeast, split the difference. Same general idea for second round.

for west coast counties and most of Connacht, west Ulster, the squall line is less of a factor, winds will gradually veer from south to southwest then west, maintaining or even building on current levels, peak around 1100h, then slowly abate (further north you are, slower). The second round may be fairly intense especially in Connemara and Mayo, that will peak around 0200h Sunday.

Inland north central to midlands, squall line fairly soon, wind shift, gradual improvement this afternoon, ramping up to fairly strong again tonight peaking around 0300h.

Graces7, you could expect peaks around 10-11 a.m. today and 0200h middle of the night, should calm down considerably between these peaks and by Sunday mid-day.

Monday a rather minor afterthought trough will pass and there will be a moderate peak of winds across the country around early afternoon (in the 50-80 km/hr range mostly).

Then a delightful calm period will follow (gradually, Thursday and Friday look to be almost wind-free days).

Thanks MT. Currently it is a nasty autumn gale but no more. A lot of course depends on the wind direction ( airt as they called it in Orkney!) There we knew if the gale was from the east there was no chance of the ferry ( around 2 hours from Mainland Orkney)
    They are saying southerly changing to westerly here.

Strom Callum was the worst and scariest for me, but I cannot find wind direction . My home literally shook and shivered. No one else here was as badly affected. Strongest gust was at Belmullet 125 kph and it took the coast road out there. There was some shocking video film online.!

It was very much a west coast event as this is. ( they thought I was exaggerating here!)

Stay safe as we will here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireann may have overshot the runway here though midday in the North and West could be near 100kph. Then midnight 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Newport Co Mayo, max gust on my personal weather station is 94kph so far.
    About 55m above sea level and 4 miles from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

With wind speeds no higher than yellow level warnings, it is obvious, yet again, that Met Eireann have indulged in hype. People have enough to be dealing with at the moment without orange level warnings and talk of damaging gusts. Its Autumn, we always get gales. I hope its not going to be a season of weekly warnings every time a gale is forecast.

With wind speeds no higher than yellow level warnings, it is obvious, yet again, that Met Eireann have indulged in hype. People have enough to be dealing with at the moment without orange level warnings and talk of damaging gusts. Its Autumn, we always get gales. I hope its not going to be a season of weekly warnings every time a gale is forecast.

A bit early for your (usual) dismissal. Orange warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Clare only came into effect 30 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Looks like a quick squal line is about to push through Dublin in the next 20 mins or so

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Big temperature drop behind that squall line, winds picking back up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I cannot give measurements but my gut feeling, from almost half a century on this planet and 20 here in North Laois, is that the wind gusts have been borderline Orange and the potential damage from the squall effect with the volume of rain in it cannot be under-estimated.
    It's been a very watchful night here, as it were. No wind event, in the grand scale of storms we've had, but certainly packing a punch and will have caught out some people and tested some physical materials before the weekend is out.

You couldn't resist temptation to flippantly write off the event, jumping the gun a mere seven hours before the orange warnings lapsed but then timing was never your forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

so just ignore them?

They have to cover every eventuality. If they muted it and worse happened there could be deaths and damage and imagine the outrage then

Weather is a living, labile force. It cannot ever be pinned down like a dead butterfly. It moves, changes.

Sure, YOU may not see the damaging gusts but OTHERS will. And know in advance to take precautions. And to be relieved when the worst does not happen.

met,ie do a grand and valued job - as do the weather experts here.

NB have there been any orange warnings before this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This is the 06Z analysis, showing a fairly broad centre of 975 hPa focused at 55N 15W. It's slightly different to that forecast yesterday (second chart), which had a dual centre, one focus of which was along the southwest coast. This morning's analysis may have a second centre within that slack zone that is not low enough for a 976-hPa isobar (so between 977 and 980 hPa). Small details like that have large effects.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020103106_000.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2020103006_024.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Non event in my bedroom.

Squall line passed through Dublin 16 without too much fanfare. Some increased wind/gusts and a very brief burst of rain. Sun's out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

(comments not meant to apply to any Galway Bay surge potential, that's a concern for next high tide)
    Would you have some comments on the Galway Bay surge potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Squall line passed through Dublin 16 without too much fanfare. Some increased wind/gusts and a very brief burst of rain. Sun's out now.

Nice blast from it for a few minutes with horizontal rain in north Dublin but it looks a lot weaker on south Dublin on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9am
    Mace head gusting 52 knots
    Belmullet 50 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

96kph in Mace Hd now and 93kph Belmullet

This is probably the start for us in the North and West

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

heres a webcam from Achill

https://www.loveachill.com/en/live-streaming-webcam-of-achill-island

and another from The Arran islands hotel
    https://www.aranislandshotel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

You couldn't resist temptation to flippantly write off the event, jumping the gun a mere seven hours before the orange warnings lapsed but then timing was never your forte.

Like clockwork
    I just don’t understand people who appear to get off on trolling Internet forums .
    Especially a weather one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust 93kmh at Casement. Associated with squall I’d imagine.

Advertisement