Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to go f**king insane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I really have just a general pain in my bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

‘Others’ stopped continuing with it months ago.

And far more "others" took on caring and responsible active community work...

As in all the emergency community groups in every town etc in the country. Making sure we cocooners have all we need. Just being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Parsnips wrote: »
    You really cant go wrong with a good Jigsaw.
    the brain only focuses on the pieces in the box and abolutely nothin else.
    Very calming and relaxing.

NB. during Lockdown #1 every Jigsaw on amazon was sold out. :)

In younger years I loved jigsaws... never enough of them!

Then I started realising that at the end you had nothing lasting! They were broken up and redone.

That is when I started knitting.

Totally absorbing and with an end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Graces7 wrote: »
    in my considerable experience? I am seeing and experiencing very gratefully far more support and cooperation than there was before covid; so many have risen to the situation and meet the needs of others. There is more kindness and practical help then before. Real community spirit at work and thriving.

If you are basing your opinion on internet forums? They are not real life and people always attack each other anonymously! For entertainment?

Nope, humans are selfish by nature, we don’t do things without any benefit for ourselves.
    Same with “community work”. For most people it just fills the void right now, gives them something to do to remain “connected” by or being needed. They will stop it as soon as things are back to normal and they have better things to do again.

Its game over imo, this is life from now on, new flu new virus = Lockdown. Green countries green corridors a green covid pass. Queues, social distancing, masks, sanitiser.

The mental and financial damage we are doing to ourselves will be more damaging than what this virus will ever do.
    I am really struggling, I don't listen to the radio or TV anymore its too depressing.

We are social creatures for the most part, I like been alone but jaysus this is taking its toll on me and others alike.

The final straw for me was when I was out for a walk and was passing homes where I know elderly people live, I passed this one house and just happened to look in the window as there was a cat sleeping on the ledge, but just beyond that in the dim lighting I could see an old man just sitting at his table holding a cup of tea and staring at it but staring at nothing, totally expressionless, and that scared me and made me sad.

I just kept walking, but now wish I had said something as the window was open, if I just said "hello" or "hows it going" maybe it would have brightened up his day?.

Its crazy what we are doing, just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Nope, humans are selfish by nature, we don’t do things without any benefit for ourselves.
    Same with “community work”. For most people it just fills the void right now, gives them something to do to remain “connected” by or being needed. They will stop it as soon as things are back to normal and they have better things to do again.

I must say this to my fellow comods.

Its game over imo, this is life from now on, new flu new virus = Lockdown. Green countries green corridors a green covid pass. Queues, social distancing, masks, sanitiser.

The mental and financial damage we are doing to ourselves will be more damaging than what this virus will ever do.
    I am really struggling, I don't listen to the radio or TV anymore its too depressing.

We are social creatures for the most part, I like been alone but jaysus this is taking its toll on me and others alike.

The final straw for me was when I was out for a walk and was passing homes where I know elderly people live, I passed this one house and just happened to look in the window as there was a cat sleeping on the ledge, but just beyond that in the dim lighting I could see an old man just sitting at his table holding a cup of tea and staring at it but staring at nothing, totally expressionless, and that scared me and made me sad.

I just kept walking, but now wish I had said something as the window was open, if I just said "hello" or "hows it going" maybe it would have brightened up his day?.

Normally in a "crisis" people are drawn together, they help each other out more and gain a sense of self-fulfilment by being part of the solution, father than the problem.

This time around, people are being forced to keep apart and restrict movement, all very demoralising for many. I fully expect there to be a huge surge in mental health issues after this "crisis" is over, with a surge of murder/suicide cases caused by people who feel trapped with no way out.

Cabin fever will be rife and could break some people.

I already know of people who are absolutely paranoid about sanitizing everything and distancing, they are going to have long term mental issues in the future.

Personally, the lockdown is having a limited affect on me, but the young adults in the family are feeling the enforced isolation quite badly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Jequ0n wrote: »

Very hard to argue with, but cynicism can be cured, this is the 3rd millenium. Mental evolution is rife, don't miss it, ok?

Helping others and sharing your life experiences can be fulfilling for your heart and soul, try it sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s a pretty unfair and disingenuous argument.

With over 60,000 cases of covid and just shy of 2000 deaths from it. Thousands of hospital admissions. The health service at close to or at capacity.... there is simply no way that either mental or financial damage during this pandemic is ANYWAY comparable to this actual virus.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

With over 60,000 cases of covid and just shy of 2000 deaths from it. Thousands of hospital admissions. The health service at close to or at capacity.... there is simply no way that either mental or financial damage during this pandemic is ANYWAY comparable to this actual virus.
    Most flu outbreaks cause the hospitals to overload, so in reality this one is no different.
    Difference this time is that it was initially thought to be as deadly as the Spanish flue outbreak of 1918, t
    The reaction in March was justified as the data appeared to show it to be really deadly.
    This is clearly not the case as if it was the graveyards would be full of young healthy who were killed by it.

Just google "flu overwhelms hospitals" and you'll get hits for most of the recent flu seasons.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Very hard to argue with, but cynicism can be cured, this is the 3rd millenium. Mental evolution is rife, don't miss it, ok?

Helping others and sharing your life experiences can be fulfilling for your heart and soul, try it sometime.

Wasted effort, it gives me nothing
    But thanks for the encouraging words

Most flu outbreaks cause the hospitals to overload, so in reality this one is no different.
    Difference this time is that it was initially thought to be as deadly as the Spanish flue outbreak of 1918, t
    The reaction in March was justified as the data appeared to show it to be really deadly.
    This is clearly not the case as if it was the graveyards would be full of young healthy who were killed by it.

Just google "flu overwhelms hospitals" and you'll get hits for most of the recent flu seasons.

Covid isn’t the flu. So when you google ‘ flu overwhelms hospitals ‘ you get articles about the flu, why ? because that’s what you are googling. Also the first two pages of google searches brings you articles and stories from other countries, none from here so I gather the flu by talking with healthcare professionals also, is a tiny burden on our health services and healthcare staff when compared to Covid. In fact it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I was starting to go pretty batty in the run up to autumn, but thankfully I'm into my music in a big way. New lps from artists such as Autechre, Actress and Oneohtrix Point Never were announced to be released around this time back in September and that helped my mindset in a big way. They are all out now, I've bought them all on vinyl and they all are amazing. Total soundscape lift. I highly recommend them all to everyone. They all on spotify or the likes too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    This lockdown feels completely different to the March lockdown. Back then we had the novelty of working from home, the days were getting longer, spending time outdoors, getting more quality time. It was weird, but weirdness was a change.

This last week has been completely different though, especially with the clocks changing. Dark when I start work, dark when I finish. Went for a walk around town and its crazy to see everywhere shut by 7pm. Went to meet a friend for coffee and ended up sitting in the car with the heater on. I'd usually go for a run straight after work, but now I'm running at night in the cold. We're 6 months into this now with no end in sight. I'm actually going insane looking at the same four walls every day, counting the end of every day when I closing my bedroom curtains.

How are the rest of ye coping with this?

I'm doing great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It is insane.I think that is what I struggle most with is the apparent absolute disinterest in trying to come up with some other solution, or just try a different approach - massive tracking and tracing increases, huge increase in ICU beds, just anything.It is just going to keep getting thrown back at us as being our fault when cases rise, and Government wash their hands of it.As if it is a crime to simply live your life.

I have overheard or been told some quite sad stories in recent days.A mother with a baby in a pharmacy,with a huge rash around the child's vaccine site, afraid that to visit a hospital or doctor because of Covid.....an old man in a shop saying sure it's starting all over again, back to lockdown, I will keep coming to buy my food everyday just to have someone to chat to....the old lady I heard in a pharmacy today saying she was afraid to go to the nearby town (the one the pharmacy is in) because she had been passed by by 3 buses (50% capacity) the last time before she finally got on one home, and she is afraid one day she will get stuck with no way home.... it saddens and angers me because I do not think NPHET or the Government know or care the actual real life impact this is having on people.It is not worth it.

It is nuts, nothing is worth this.

• Advertisement

Increasing icu beds is easy. Increasing the numbers of qualified staff to man the icu beds , not as easy.

Both doctors and nurses undertake months of additional training to get qualified to work in an icu. Your gp or even a lot of doctors and most nurses in hospitals are not qualified to work in an icu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

For some perspective on the alternative, my flatmate's family are American. He has lost 9 of them since this started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I have to say, i got through the first lockdown no problem. Nice weather, novelty etc..

This one is fcuking killing me! I’m actually starting to lose my mind.

I’m not sure NPHET, being solely focused on Covid, have even the slightest idea of the wave of mental health issues that are going to arise from this! But hey, lets protect those 83 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnny Wilcox

yes - ok so its a lot more boring this time around but here’s what I do to streatch out the day a bit more and make it less tedious.

If possible stay in bed longer. Its warmer, more entertaining, you don’t have to turn the heat on & there is less of the day to kill.

Get up by 10:30 am and leave the house. Go anywhere but go somewhere - walk for half an hour or get a take away coffee - it gives you the sense of a new day and having started afresh.

Work, or subject research. And - get a recipy book and after your 5 or so hours cook something different. But not too difficult. Something tasty but win’t cost a bomb or leave you cleaning oots all night or totally frustrated.

Go out and do 5k - walk or run dosn’t matter - just get out and exercise.

Youtube - old comedys/ documentaries/ buying property abroad/ boxset/ pick a subject whatever. Put in an hour or two to get your mind off it.

Podcasts or dance music - again - takes your head elsewhere.

I used do an hour exercise online but have now banjaxes too many body parts to risk it - but if I was fit I would do it again - you feel great after.

Hot shower & bed!

Make it a routine & you have a hope!!! Idle minds etc

Sound advice right here.

Have you been living in a cave? Our health service is always running at 120% capacity in the winter. People wait months or sometimes years to get tests for possible cancer or treatments or heart problems. This is during a normal year. This year most of that has stopped completely.

There is going to be a huge wave of deaths of young and otherwise healthy people that will die of perfectly preventable illness. This is aside from the utter devastation to the economy and the follow on of no money to actually fund the health service in the coming years because of the astronomical levels of borrowing and spending we are doing, largely on welfare.

I think there needs to be some perspective on this lockdown, there are more effective and less costly ways of doing it. Cracking down hard on superspreader events and keeping as many businesses and the health service open as safely as possible being two. If the partying GAA fans or the house party brigade knew they were in line for a €1k fine or jail they might have had a different perspective.

On another note the decision to move over 4k patients from hospitals with COVID to nursing homes and keeping the nursing homes open to visitors in March and April together contributed to the majority of the deaths in Ireland. Two decisions that NPHET and the HSE have to shoulder 100% of the blame for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    This lockdown feels completely different to the March lockdown. Back then we had the novelty of working from home, the days were getting longer, spending time outdoors, getting more quality time. It was weird, but weirdness was a change.

This last week has been completely different though, especially with the clocks changing. Dark when I start work, dark when I finish. Went for a walk around town and its crazy to see everywhere shut by 7pm. Went to meet a friend for coffee and ended up sitting in the car with the heater on. I'd usually go for a run straight after work, but now I'm running at night in the cold. We're 6 months into this now with no end in sight. I'm actually going insane looking at the same four walls every day, counting the end of every day when I closing my bedroom curtains.

How are the rest of ye coping with this?

How has the lockdown affected the bolded parts? If anything, WFH for me has meant I'm out more than ever this winter - taking a 30min walk for my lunch and then straight out for a run, it's still bright at 5pm.

Had I been commuting to work I'd be arriving home in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's different this time alright. During the first lockdown I had the summer to look forward to. I got a lot done and met some old friends. I just can't seem to get motivated to do anything at the moment though. I'm still using my small home gym but its getting really boring at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have to say, i got through the first lockdown no problem. Nice weather, novelty etc..

I’m not sure NPHET, being solely focused on Covid, have even the slightest idea of the wave of mental health issues that are going to arise from this! But hey, lets protect those 83 year olds.

You might feel differently if you were 83 yourself.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You might feel differently if you were 83 yourself.

Well, he could stay in lockdown himself then..

Everyone over 60 is expendable and are the only ones that can spread it didn’t you know? You think they’d all do the right thing and kill themselves so everyone can go back to doing what they like instead of having some made up mental health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Even Boris is going with lockdown in England. NPHET or govt aren't on some kind of solo run here compared to other countries. Many others now have restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭scwazrh

For some perspective on the alternative, my flatmate's family are American. He has lost 9 of them since this started.

What age groups were they ?

scwazrh wrote: »
    What age groups were they ?
    I would also ask,

"were they obese, did they have pre-existing health problems?"

Sorry to hear that, a death in the family especially a close on is tough to bear, but we lost our mother the end of March this year, not to the covid virus but because of the restrictions we placed on ourselves to try and "beat covid".

The lockdown in my mothers case and other patients like her meant that her physio (she was convalescing at the time in hospital) and visits from family and friends stopped.

This destroyed her mentally and physically as she was just a couple of weeks from getting out after a long illness.

Im sorry but ffs people inevitably die, some are born and have a few seconds of life others live long lives, some get sick and die some recover, thats life thats nature you can fight it all you want with lockdowns medical intervention and vaccines but if its your time its your time.

And my mams time was stolen from her, her life and how she wanted to live was stolen and her death and dignity was stolen.

We had 12 people (my sisters and mams brothers and sisters, my brother couldn't travel as he was living abroad and the funeral was in a few days) in a big empty church all sitting apart.
    None of her grandchildren cousins or friends there.

It for me was one of the most empty gestures you could imagine, trying to convey her life when we were and are still all stunned by the way she died.

Speaking for myself Id rather enjoy the fullest life I possibly can rather than the endless yoyo situation we are in for the foreseeable future.

My days are now waking every morning to the thoughts of my mam alone without her family around to support her, her crying and begging on the phone to come home, saying she will be good and do everything we ask just to come home.

And dying a few days later from a stroke brought on by the stress she put on herself because of the lockdown.

Thats just my two cents, I hope no one has to go through what me and my family did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sorry to hear that, a death in the family especially a close on is tough to bear, but we lost our mother the end of March this year, not to the covid virus but because of the restrictions we placed on ourselves to try and "beat covid".

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I started this thread when I was having a sh*t day. Problems in work, problems with relationship, everything exacerbated by lockdown and restrictions.

Stories like yours put my own insignificant issues into perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Well for me, Personally its going ok, I am lucky enough to still be working, with the gyms/pool closed ive invested in an E-Bike for my daily exercise as swimming is my thing so I cycle around for about an hour different places but never slowing down, keeps me out of the house & away from the phone for an hour at least.

Also time online on forums & PC gaming like GTA V has really helped to kill hours & then on nights staying up late when off the next day to watch boxsets like Ray Donovan & Billions while enjoying a whiskey.

Thankfully the take aways are still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Starting to crack up a slight bit here. Work is keeping me going. I miss meeting up with friends. Starting to refurbish a log cabin beside my house because I'm bored.

Weren’t they armed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Your comments are very cruel and unhelpful. The damage this is causing to our mental and financial situations are going to be with us for years. I realise and understand that a part of our population are hit with medical issues up to and including death and I feel very sorry for them and their extended families but the bigger issues must be considered.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Your comments are very cruel and unhelpful. The damage this is causing to our mental and financial situations are going to be with us for years. I realise and understand that a part of our population are hit with medical issues up to and including death and I feel very sorry for them and their extended families but the bigger issues must be considered.

Death is a bigger issue than feeling a bit fed up and bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Worked all the time before COVID. Now working all the time throughout COVID. No real change. If anything, I think this lockdown is more lax. Most of the people I know who were let go or furloughed last time have been kept on this time. Seems many in sales have adjusted to delivery and collection.

Missing travelling to see the family but it could be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Death is a bigger issue than feeling a bit fed up and bored.

I don't think arguing about which is a bigger issue is going to help. Another lockdown is clearly putting Death rates first but it would be nice if they put something in place so mental health issues don't sky rocket through winter as well.

Playing way more games and got gym gear at home so i am set.
    less zoom chats with people this time though, miss the chats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm playing Alien Isolation and its frightening the bejasus out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Champions league and Premier league are keeping me sane.

Id crack up without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I dont miss the "Compulsory" family zoom tbh.
    I got some decorating done and have plenty of game time in the bag.

I miss the ordinary ****. Cinema is a big miss for me, also a simple Eddie Rockets or just going for a meal with the Mrs.

And dont get me started on shopping. Not worth the hassle. FFS the pain of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I can't find a treadmill in stock anywhere, and have friends who are in a similar boat with other exercise gear/equipment. Really think it would help even if just for an hour a day while working to get the steps in and the heart rate up!

Going a bit mad today now I have to say, the weekend flew by and work is very intense at the moment which isn't helping. A lot of people have said that work is keeping them going but I'm finding my stress levels much higher than usual. I used to travel a lot for work and find myself missing it a lot - the prospect of not being able to travel for leisure for a while isn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

voldejoie wrote: »
    I can't find a treadmill in stock anywhere, and have friends who are in a similar boat with other exercise gear/equipment. Really think it would help even if just for an hour a day while working to get the steps in and the heart rate up!

Going a bit mad today now I have to say, the weekend flew by and work is very intense at the moment which isn't helping. A lot of people have said that work is keeping them going but I'm finding my stress levels much higher than usual. I used to travel a lot for work and find myself missing it a lot - the prospect of not being able to travel for leisure for a while isn't great either.

You wouldn't run outside...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I've been working from home since early march.
    I live in Warsaw and to be honest, I don't know how I've managed it.
    Worst is that I live in a 40m2 apartment with my fiance. We have to work in the same room.
    I don't know about the rest of you, but picture 8 months of being in th same room 24/7 with your partner.
    We would argue about anything and everything.
    It really brought the relationship to it's knees but we powered through.
    We got engaged.
    We noticed that when we were out of the apartment we would relax.
    The government here has been a shambles.
    We are in a mini lockdown at the moment where they've essentially closed everything except churches and shopping centres, yet they discourage you from going.
    I can't bare looking at my laptop anymore and the fact that the company wouldn't provide me one has me driven to a dark area of my brain where I'd joyfully murder the lot of them
    I've a car but with nowhere to go.
    To get a coffee means queueing in the freezing cold or 30min waiting at the McDonald's drive through.
    You need to wear a mask no matter what.
    I was always energetic, lively and hated being in the house.
    Now, I find myself putting on weight, eating utter **** in the evenings and flicking through Netflix over and over.
    I've even come close to watching the Bollywood crap they insist I'd like.
    That's how bad it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

bear1 wrote: »
    Worst is that I live in a 40m2 apartment with my fiance. We have to work in the same room.
    I don't know about the rest of you, but picture 8 months of being in th same room 24/7 with your partner.
    We got engaged.
    We are in a mini lockdown at the moment where they've essentially closed everything except churches and shopping centres, yet they discourage you from going.
    I can't bare looking at my laptop anymore and the fact that the company wouldn't provide me one has me driven to a dark area of my brain where I'd joyfully murder the lot of them
    To get a coffee means queueing in the freezing cold or 30min waiting at the McDonald's drive through.
    Now, I find myself putting on weight, eating utter **** in the evenings and flicking through Netflix over and over.
    Bloody hell. My heart goes out to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

bear1 wrote: »
    We got engaged.

Congrats on the engagement, hope it all goes well!

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Congrats on the engagement, hope it all goes well!

If not then I'll always have my freedom.. oh wait.

KungPao wrote: »
    Bloody hell. My heart goes out to you.

Thanks, I've resisted it for now but I'm hoping not to go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I've found the past two weeks particularly overwhelming.

I quite enjoyed the first lockdown. The novelty of working home meant less time commuting, a lot more flexibility offered from my employer, more time to exercise and cook good food. I have the benefit in renting a lovely large apartment with a nice big balcony and my close friends who I live with enjoyed the space and would cook bbqs and enjoy a few drinks in the sunny evenings. We also made great use of the beach for walks in the evenings. I enjoyed how the world slowed down for a while.. there was no more rushing out of work in the evenings to make it to things and for the first time in years I was able to save money. For the year prior to Covid I was constantly (and totally self inflicted) chasing my tail money-wise.. there was always an upcoming night out, a hen party, a wedding, a work colleague's going away party.. I'm extremely lucky to have not taken a pay deduction so the opportunity to pay off an over-draft and bank a bit of savings for a rainy day came as a lot of security to me.

Don't get me wrong there were of course times in lockdown number 1 where the motivation of working from home dwindled but I would push through knowing there was a bright evening ahead of me and I could spend a few hours enjoying it. One thing I have learned from lockdown and which I'm sure most people find is that I need something to look forward to to keep me motoring on.

When things started to open again I was probably fairly over working from home all the time. The few days I got to go into the office brought a feeling of being much more productive. I planned a few staycations and had that to look forward to and keep me motivated on the days that WFH became exhausting. Being back playing ladies football kept me motivated as I knew I had to be at training at 7pm so would power through work to make sure I got there on time. It was nice to plan to meet up for a friend for a bite to eat in the evenings even if it meant having to sit outside with heaters. It was a lovely time- not too hectic but more than enough to keep you going.

Fast forward to lockdown number 2 and these dark evenings from the past 2 weeks have me feeling rubbish. Getting up in the mornings has been a struggle. I've found myself in the evenings just sitting on the couch staring at the screen of my phone counting the hours until bed. Minor little tasks in work have suddenly become a pain and I've found myself snapping out at colleagues which is completely unlike me. My working week and the weekends have felt like they have just merged into one and that I'm not relaxed by Monday (even though I've done very little!!). I feel like there is just nothing to look forward to.. even the thoughts of Christmas are dull. Like many out there, Christmas at home isn't a particularly enjoyable time for me so my Christmas break is always filled with meeting up with friends and enjoying a good few nights out. The thoughts of not even having that are grim.

Anyways, I'm trying to get over the hump. The evenings I do push myself out for a run or to do an online exercise class I do feel much much better. Exercise is definitely key. I've tried a few mindfulness podcasts in the mornings before work and also find they are great.. I'm taking the rest of the week off work just to get out and enjoy the daylight. Hopefully it well help! Push through guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The first lockdown put me out of work for 6 months. Level 3 put me out of work again. I doubt we will see level 2 until the spring. Im cracking up, nothing gives me enjoyment anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement