Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't know where we're going, but it can only be 5K away (Part whatever)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

More into hooters than quackers i imagine :P

Who Seph or Mr Quackers :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Autosport wrote: »

Seph doesn't seem to be offering insight here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Seph doesn't seem to be offering insight here

i-have-no-idea-what-youre-talking-about-so-heres-a-cat-in-a-basket

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Cat looks like it drank the contents of at least the little firkin

An evil look on that cat :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cat looks like it drank the contents of at least the little firkin

There just very sleepy actually gremlin :rolleyes:
    An evil look on that cat :D

Take that back :mad:

"sleepy" or skinful? :pac:

Seph you know it’s true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Bedside after looking at the man in the moon. Did you all believe that as kids or was I particularly naive?

• Advertisement

Bedside after looking at the man in the moon. Did you all believe that as kids or was I particularly naive?

I sang along with the woman in the moon (Luna, bear in the big blue house) until recently enough

Shutters cam down early here!. I shall sup my tae and survey my kingdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

I sang along with the woman in the moon (Luna, bear in the big blue house) until recently enough

Now there's an earworm!!

Wide awake again. Cant believe it! :/ May have to accept that I'm some sort of vampire now.

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Now there's an earworm!!

Wide awake again. Cant believe it! :/ May have to accept that I'm some sort of vampire now.

Aww feck it.. That's no good..

Aww feck it.. That's no good..

Yeah. Stupid weird body clock.

But, if Bruce Wayne can manage his empire after fighting crime all night, then I can make it after sitting on the couch for a few hours!

How's you Grem?

Never saw Bruce on the coffee now you mention it..

I'm ok, have an appointment tomorrow at two so have to be up early but i'll flop on the couch after no doubt.

• Advertisement

Never saw Bruce on the coffee now you mention it..

I'm ok, have an appointment tomorrow at two so have to be up early but i'll flop on the couch after no doubt.

I'd say Alfred must have been slipping some wakey wakey pills into his breakfast.

Good luck with the appointment!

I always thought Alfred was running the show much more than was let on.. ;)

Morning all :) Happy Tuesday!!!

Too early to be awake :D I’ll pop the kettle on :)

That reminds me, need to get milk, ta Auto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Good Moaning all.

Too early to be human.

• Advertisement

Ted staying in bear form for the morning at least. I'll get the runny hunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

What's this talk of ol Bruce and Alfred! :D

Morning all, another long weekend away from the internet! I have begun to absolutely swear by it for being a happier person!

This mornings sunrise (or a few minutes later) comes to you from the Vico road, a change from the pier for my walk.

531578.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What's this talk of ol Bruce and Alfred! :D

Morning all, another long weekend away from the internet! I have begun to absolutely swear by it for being a happier person!

Well now, you can take all the internet breaks you need, but we want the back catalogue of sunrise pics :D

Is that a planet beside the sun or some type of lens flare ? ( I might be winning the stupidest qs award today, ah well )

Well now, you can take all the internet breaks you need, but we want the back catalogue of sunrise pics :D

Is that a planet beside the sun or some type of lens flare ? ( I might be winning the stupidest qs award today, ah well )

Haha! I have been taking pictures with my "proper" camera mostly... the pictures are hit or miss as I am still getting the hang of not having Apple doing all the work for me :D

That's a flare! :D

So, turns out that trying to do a college course is definitely harder than I thought!
    I have 2 assignments, which seem to involve a lot of reading, reading what exactly I don't know, nor do I have any idea where I'm supposed to find 'reading'
    If I do actually manage to figure that out, I then have to write these assignments. Made the mistake of watching few videos on academic writing & I now feel stupider then before!!!

Hope I can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

bubblypop wrote: »
    So, turns out that trying to do a college course is definitely harder than I thought!
    I have 2 assignments, which seem to involve a lot of reading, reading what exactly I don't know, nor do I have any idea where I'm supposed to find 'reading'
    If I do actually manage to figure that out, I then have to write these assignments. Made the mistake of watching few videos on academic writing & I now feel stupider then before!!!

Hope I can do this.

You were good enough to be accepted in the first place, so yes, you can.

It can all be daunting at first but it's all about time management TBH, don't stress it to much and take your time, I don't know how remote learning is working for third level these days but I'm sure there are supports there in place to help you, good luck!

Exactly what CoT said, time management. Also, just starting the paper(s) with thoughts and the basic ideas of what you want to say can take the edge of the starting part.. which is often the most daunting part. You'll nail it Bubblypop, don't worry :)

Haha! I have been taking pictures with my "proper" camera mostly... the pictures are hit or miss as I am still getting the hang of not having Apple doing all the work for me :D

That's a flare! :D

I was half expecting it to be Mars or venus, though with 2020 it could easily be a new sun :D

Hope I can do this.

Getting started is the hardest part!

I do remember reading a thread on here maybe the teaching or third level forum. One poster gave absolutely excellent advice about how to tackle I think it was a thesis....I remember thinking "christ I wish someone gave me that approach " then shrugged and acknowledged I'd still leave it until the last minute in sheer panic and throw it together.

The advice was something like allocate a day to research your reading materials, then a couple of days to critically read said materials, then a day taking what's needed out of the material and filing them away. Then start your plan etc....I'll try and find it (though someone else with good search engine skills might beat me...that's a hint peeps :) ) .....one thing I will say , if you need a bibliography at the end , keep a word document open at the beginning and update it with each book/ journal you're reading as you go along, it will save you a world of pain in the end.

Good advice, thanks.
    Probably getting off boards should be my first job!!!

• Advertisement

Look up how to compile your citations and references in a Word doc, it does the hard work for you as long as it's comparable to the referencing system specified by the college.

I'm tableside, dossing.

Back deskside after lunch looking at firewall data. Facinating stuff :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Good advice, thanks.
    Probably getting off boards should be my first job!!!

Procrastination is an essential element in academic writing.

Aaaaaaaaand the glitch is back! :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Deskside in my home office busy working away. Was out for a short stroll in the park at lunchtime - very chilly out there!

Woke up at one to go to psychology appointment, two messages awaited asking me to work, replied politely i couldn't and received two phone calls where i didn't even get to say hello before i was bombarded with shift swap ideas etc. Sigh.. Anyway, back homeon the couch now. Eff them all!

Bubbly, you will be ok, contemplating the task is often the scariest part..

Oh and for those of you that can see the eggs in my sig, please give them a click, short shelf life on these ones

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Procrastination is an essential element in academic writing.

If anyone is in search of procrastination look no further I have it in abundance it will be written on my headstone, I'd love to be a go getter but everything is last minute in my world and it drives me demented.

Home and couchside before I make the dinner , week is moving along swiftly, work isn't too bad so far but I know I'm due a bad day so wish it would just come and get it over, I'm anxious now about not being stressed. I can't win lol.

If anyone is in search of procrastination look no further I have it in abundance it will be written on my headstone, I'd love to be a go getter but everything is last minute in my world and it drives me demented.

Home and couchside before I make the dinner , week is moving along swiftly, work isn't too bad so far but I know I'm due a bad day so wish it would just come and get it over, I'm anxious now about not being stressed. I can't win lol.

Meet your twin.

• Advertisement

Meet your twin.

We're triplets. I procrastinate about procrastinating.

I'm more of a "paralysed by indecision" type :o

We're triplets. I procrastinate about procrastinating.

I procrastinate about the pre-procrastinate procrastinate. Joking aside, I believe it's an anxiety response and it can be a truly terrible thing. Almost nauseous with eorryaboutan intending deadline and still not starting the task and feeling almost 'switched off' fromthe sense of urgency I should be feeling. Then the wave of frantic energy whrn it does hit to get things completed on time followed by a brief catharsis before descending into the pits of shame for doing this to myself, yet again.

What happens me is I sit down all set to do my work but at some point, early on in my research, I'll get distracted by some little nugget of information and I'll end up going off on a complete tangent until I know absolutely everything about that entirely useless and completely irrelevant topic and oh look! now I've no time to actually do what I was supposed to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭thomil

If anyone is in search of procrastination look no further

I’ll have a look...

...later.

Any way, another purveyor of procrastination checking in here. For some reason, I’m just most productive in that last minute scramble. Don’t know why, maybe it’s because I’m just weird :confused:

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Getting started is the hardest part!

I do remember reading a thread on here maybe the teaching or third level forum. One poster gave absolutely excellent advice about how to tackle I think it was a thesis....I remember thinking "christ I wish someone gave me that approach " then shrugged and acknowledged I'd still leave it until the last minute in sheer panic and throw it together.

The advice was something like allocate a day to research your reading materials, then a couple of days to critically read said materials, then a day taking what's needed out of the material and filing them away. Then start your plan etc....I'll try and find it (though someone else with good search engine skills might beat me...that's a hint peeps :) ) .....one thing I will say , if you need a bibliography at the end , keep a word document open at the beginning and update it with each book/ journal you're reading as you go along, it will save you a world of pain in the end.

Yep, I was going to say the same about a bibliography. And, if you’re getting resources online, save them locally with the name you use in the bibliography. Simple and easy - but I didn’t cop that doing mine!!

I’ll never forget the panic when I realised that I couldn’t bang out the thesis in one night without sleep, which was pretty much my method for the (much shorter) papers before. In fairness, I had done a lot of bits and bobs and research and tappy tapping things into a document, but getting it into a cohesive paper? Naaaaah - leave it to the last minute. Had to defer submission by a week, pull a sickie from work, and lost points for the late submission.

Don’t do what Donnie Don’t Does. :)

In other news, homeside, and delighted with myself. That was a hella long day!!

• Advertisement

I procrastinate about the pre-procrastinate procrastinate. Joking aside, I believe it's an anxiety response and it can be a truly terrible thing. Almost nauseous with eorryaboutan intending deadline and still not starting the task and feeling almost 'switched off' fromthe sense of urgency I should be feeling. Then the wave of frantic energy whrn it does hit to get things completed on time followed by a brief catharsis before descending into the pits of shame for doing this to myself, yet again.

You have described me!

Also the annoyance once the task is finished that it could have been so much better if I had got my arse in gear and just got on with it.

I don't learn from it though. Next project exact same cycle.

Oh I had missed that post by Sardi but it's bang on! Definitely an anxiety response!

Deskside eating chocolate

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Office side, not the office as in place of work, or toilet cubicle, but the office room in my mansion. :)
    Back and showered after a 7km run through some mud for the craic.
    Just waiting for the shout that the dinner is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭3d4life

Deskside eating chocolate

Anyone else have a problem with doing this at 18:10Hrs ?

Pretty certain its some sort of prejudice I have ... it just seems wrong. earlier or later would be fine.

Not as bad as drinking in the morning tho' :eek:

Hope y'all are doing good,

about to go shop-side

( figured it out : Its all about (not) eating sweets before a meal :D )

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement