Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the night rate only used for storage heaters? Or is the washing machine, fridge et

Options
  • 28-10-2020 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I have a dual meter in my apartment, night and day tariff. 

There are also two storage heaters in the apartment which I presume use the night rate.  

However is the whole house hooked up to the night rate? As in, if I run the dishwasher after 11pm, will I be getting the night rate for that? Or if I watch TV at midnight, is that on the night rate etc. etc. 

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi JackieChang,

Thanks for getting in touch. Once that is your only meter, yes, the night rate will be in effect for all between 11pm and 8am at the moment; midnight and 9am after the clocks go forward in March.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Once that is your only meter...
    Ok thank you. But now you've got me wondering...  you're saying it's possible to have more than one meter?  

I have found a dual meter corresponding to my apartment, just read it this morning. It has a reading for the Day KWh , and a reading below it for the Night KWh.

Should I go looking for another meter somewhere?

Hi JackieChang,

If you had two meters, you would have two MPRNs, so you would be receiving two sets of bills.

It is rarely the case, but we just mentioned it as being the scenario where the customer would not necessarily receive the night rate for all appliances (if they had a day/night meter and a 24-hour meter).

Kind regards,
    Una

Hi JackieChang,

If you had two meters, you would have two MPRNs, so you would be receiving two sets of bills.

It is rarely the case, but we just mentioned it as being the scenario where the customer would not necessarily receive the night rate for all appliances (if they had a day/night meter and a 24-hour meter).

Kind regards,
    Una
    OK great that solves it. I've only one bill and one MPRN. Thanks. 

You are welcome JackieChang.

We should add as general information that the night storage heater (NSH) meter does not have a separate MPRN but this is just in properties where there is no day/night meter (so a home with an NSH meter would have the 24-hour meter and NSH meter, and one MPRN).

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Ok. This is the only meter I can find.

So I guess everything in my house switches to the night rate after 11pm?

https://pasteboard.co/Jy3K8yj.png

Ok it looks like I can't paste images here. But it's in the link.

Hi JackieChang,

When a property has one MPRN/electricity bill (which is the case for most properties) and the meter is a day/night meter (also known as NightSaver or dual tariff) the day and night rates apply for all devices/appliances.

We are unable to see the image in the link, however let us know if you have further queries.

Una

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ok. This is the only meter I can find.

So I guess everything in my house switches to the night rate after 11pm?

https://pasteboard.co/Jy3K8yj.png
    Yes that's a day and night meter. You'll hear a "click" when it changes btween day and night
    Once you're past ~11pm and before ~8am you'll get the night rate for everything.

Advertisement