Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many extensions can I put on a standard power point

Options
  • 28-10-2020 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I have 3 wall power points and I need to provide power to 11 items, with 2 spares.

The groupings are determined more by their location in the room than anything else. I have a couple of questions:-

1)Am I overloading anywhere with the configurations below?
    2)Am I OK to have PC on an extension? (I only have 3 outlets)
    3)Ideally, I would like to buy extensions that I can screw to side of desk. Are these readily available?

Extension 1
    DVD player
    TV
    Horizon TV Box
    Lamp
    Spare

Extension 2
    DECT House Phone
    Router
    PC Monitor
    Lamp

Extension 3 (to include USB)
    Desktop PC
    Printer
    PC Speakers
    Spare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I have 3 wall power points and I need to provide power to 11 items, with 2 spares.

The groupings are determined more by their location in the room than anything else. I have a couple of questions:-

1)Am I overloading anywhere with the configurations below?
    2)Am I OK to have PC on an extension? (I only have 3 outlets)
    3)Ideally, I would like to buy extensions that I can screw to side of desk. Are these readily available?

Extension 1
    DVD player
    TV
    Horizon TV Box
    Lamp
    Spare

Extension 2
    DECT House Phone
    Router
    PC Monitor
    Lamp

Extension 3 (to include USB)
    Desktop PC
    Printer
    PC Speakers
    Spare

Each socket is rated at 13 Amps. This means they can handle approximately 3000 watts(13 amps × 230 volts). Add the wattage of each device you have plugged into the extension lead. If the total wattage is less than 3000 it should be ok.
    Most of the items you have mentioned are low powered appliances so it shouldn't be a problem.

It's ok to have a pc on an extension. It only becomes a problem if you have multiple PC's on a circuit.

Most of these type extension leads can be screwed to the side of a desk
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/masterplug-13a-4-gang-unswitched-surge-protected-extension-lead-2m/8068g

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks for the comprehensive reply aido79

Advertisement