Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cdrive no space

Options
  • 28-10-2020 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Could someone tell me how I can find files or folders that are taking up a lot of space on my laptop. My cdrive only has 8.9gb left out of 221gb.

I think I know what the problem is I just can't find the files. I've been doing an adobe after effects course. I set the cache folder in after effects to a folder on my drive and I would go in every day or so and delete the cache. For some reason after effects stopped giving me the option to delete the cache and when I tried to set a new folder it wouldn't let me.

I'm 99% sure the cache was dumped somewhere on my laptop but I can't find the folder. I checked the default cache folder but that's only 230mb.

is there any tools that will let me scan my harddrive or show me folders that are over a certain size.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

Pretty much the go-to tool

Will analyze the drive and reveal the biggest folders. They're usually temp or download folders.

Don't go deleting stuff willy-nilly. Removing anything in the "Windows", "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)" or "ProgramData" folders may cause the whole system to fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

seamus wrote: »
    https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

Pretty much the go-to tool

Will analyze the drive and reveal the biggest folders. They're usually temp or download folders.

Don't go deleting stuff willy-nilly. Removing anything in the "Windows", "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)" or "ProgramData" folders may cause the whole system to fall over.

Thanks for that. After I checked the hard drive space again it was down to 6gb so it seemed to have used another 2-3 gb today alone. I check it and come back a few mins later and it would of lost some more space. So I took a free trial of avasts premium cleanup. After it put all the apps to sleep it seemed to stop the harddrive from losing space. There is no malware or viruses showing up either.

Anyway thankfully It seems to be ok now ILL use that website you linked and try to root out the files or folders taking up all the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Use application like WinDirStat to find the folder with most data - https://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/ (If the link is removed, just search on Google). It allows you delete the files/folders as well. Use it with cautiona s you might end up deleting system folders/files.

I think your windows restore snapshots may be taking up to much space. I use CCLeaner to delete all except the latest one.
    I also use DiskCleaner (windows utility) to cleanup temp and other items. Once the application opens, us ethe 'Clean Up System Files' button to find any wiondows updates still taking the disk space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

As Seamus mentions treesize is what most people use it makes it really easy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you never use hibernate it can be disabled, it uses as much disk as you have RAM installed.

If you are not bothered about being able to access "previous versions" of files, you can reduce the amount of space used by Shadow Volume Copies

Remove old Restore Points

Reduce the size of the Recycle Bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

another thing is that replacement disk for double the size is dirt cheap

Advertisement