Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two former solicitors paid homeless people for their PPS numbers and took out loans

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

screamer wrote: »
    Feel sorry for their little baby. She doesn’t seem to have any immediate family to help her, and he’s estranged from his family from what I read this morning.
    There’s probably a movie in this down the line....

The entire thing is puzzling.

So the guy is working as a chef and she's on a back to work scheme?

I would have thought former solicitors could work in companies as compliance officers or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wouldn't be eating in an establishment that he is a chef in. Who knows what he'd be up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Cox

This was the first thing I thought of when I read the article today. It's almost as if they saw his 60 Minutes interview and copied him word for word. I always thought Ireland was too small for this carry on.

Yer man did about 12 years in jail and recently did a load of podcasts about his life and crimes on Koncrete. Fantastic to listen to, he can tell a yarn for sure. These two I'd say are a Tesco Value brand of con artists at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

OMM 0000 wrote: »

I would have thought former solicitors could work in companies as compliance officers or something along those lines.

They're not just two former solicitors though are they?

They are intelligent criminals, repeat offenders, facing a prison sentence and not to be trusted.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭donegal_man

...I would have thought former solicitors could work in companies as compliance officers or something along those lines.

Can't see either of these two getting a job like that. You know, given the criminal convictions for deception and fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They'd be toxic tbh. A quick google and you find out they've been struck off for "irregularities" in client accounts.

No company would let them near a position that required any trust or diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Will they serve any prison time?

He was remanded in custody until sentencing and she was given bail to make arrangements for their kid. Jail time is a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

From the pictures of them arriving in court they seem very arrogant, smiling as if they're celebrities.

I cant imagine anybody is rushing to hire struck off solicitors for positions of responsibility. Especially one that only lasted 4 years before they were suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

MNCs arent too keen on you when you have a criminal record. Although I worked with a former INLA guy (dont get excited we werent best buddies), what did he get done for? Bank robbery, attack on British Royal Marines in West Germany, Escaping from the Maze? No, burning a widows house.

I would say either being honest that you have a criminal record or refusing to sign for a police background check would kill your chances of employment for a MNC. But it would be an ideal career change to Quality control in a pharmaceutical company or FDA/TUV/BSA. Looking for all those inconsistencies in the paperwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Keith Flynn & Lyndsey Clarke.
    Liars, thieves, cheats and criminals.
    Not the first Irish solicitors or Irish judges to be found lying and cheating their way through their lives and clients money and inheritances.

The law society struck off and complaints section of their website makes for harrowing reading - and that’s only the ones that have been caught. How many families have been cheated and stolen from by solicitors who were operating in a position of trust and were never caught out.

Disgusting behaviour - and for Judge kelly to be apologising to them for having to strike them off so early in their solicitors career. wtf is wrong with people?

Should be a mandatory 20 year prison sentence. How many elderly or vulnerable people are also robbed or ripped off by scum like these two ;Keith Flynn and Lyndsey Clarke.

Can't see either of these two getting a job like that. You know, given the criminal convictions for deception and fraud.
    MNCs arent too keen on you when you have a criminal record.

Pretty sure these are the types of people to pretend they don't have a criminal conviction...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

You really miss out on the gold from Judge Ó Donnabháin's comments re: AIB if you only read the RTE article:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40071779.html

I cant imagine anybody is rushing to hire struck off solicitors for positions of responsibility. Especially one that only lasted 4 years before they were suspended.

Unless you are in the trade, you would not know about this. Until recently (last 10 years) the law society have been very slow to deal with striking off. People are very slow to talk about dealings with solicitors. To me it is an old boys clubs, the same boys who went to school, played rugby, went to university, played golf and sat the bar at the same time. You arent going to hang your old friend out to dry?

My mother had a grievance with a solicitor in Limerick for taking a final will from a man who wasnt in his right man, with no doctors cert. A solicitor warned her that she may or may not win and there could be serious consequences if she failed. I know another woman who got a strike against another solicitor who complained to the "Master of Taxes". It sounds like a horrible profession to be in.

Pretty sure these are the types of people to pretend they don't have a criminal conviction...

Real jobs ask you to submit for Garda vetting or if not you are "known" locally. You will be found out soon enough.

Unless you are in the trade, you would not know about this. Until recently (last 10 years) the law society have been very slow to deal with striking off. People are very slow to talk about dealings with solicitors. To me it is an old boys clubs, the same boys who went to school, played rugby, went to university, played golf and sat the bar at the same time. You arent going to hang your old friend out to dry?

My mother had a grievance with a solicitor in Limerick for taking a final will from a man who wasnt in his right man, with no doctors cert. A solicitor warned her that she may or may not win and there could be serious consequences if she failed. I know another woman who got a strike against another solicitor who complained to the "Master of Taxes". It sounds like a horrible profession to be in.

what does any of that have to do with the post of mine you responded to?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should not see prison, considering the Billions the tax payer is paying back for the Bankers and Builders who thought the good times would never end.
    Some Community Service would be enough, were they not paying back all these fake loans? Just using different IDs to obtain them. Or where they taking out loans and then vanishing with the money.

Should not see prison, considering the Billions the tax payer is paying back for the Bankers and Builders who thought the good times would never end.
    Some Cumontitty Service would be enough, were they not paying back all these fake loans? Just using different IDs to obtain them. Or where they taking out loans and then vanishing with the money.

did you bother to read the article in the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

did you bother to read the article in the OP?

Yea I did. Did not say whether they were obtaining loans, yet paying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Corcaigh84 wrote: »
    You really miss out on the gold from Judge Ó Donnabháin's comments re: AIB if you only read the RTE article:

That judge has been known to be a bit of a character with such talk. He’s known to impose a stiff sentence when he does impose one. The circuit court’s version of Michael ‘Padlock’ Pattwell in many ways.

• Advertisement

Real jobs ask you to submit for Garda vetting

No they don't...

I've worked at Microsoft, Google, LinkedIn... zero background checks.

what does any of that have to do with the post of mine you responded to?

Law is a very closed society. It is very hard to tell which solicitors are on the level unless you dealing with the law. I happen to be fortunate enough to know people who are associated with solicitors to get advice from but the ordinary people in the street, they take their chances.

No they don't...

Ahhhhh now I see the difference. I signed document that authorised a garda check, now I see whether it was followed up is a different matter. Any ordinary person would assume it was followed up on, there by scaring off anyone with a criminal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

The company I work at outsources background checks to this lot, having being through it I have to say its good. They even check dates on LinkedIn with the CV and verify with previous employers.

https://www.sterlingcheck.com/services/criminal-background-checks/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Nermal

Corcaigh84 wrote: »

I don't understand why we entertain prattle like this from judges, it sounds like something one would hear on a phone-in show.

Pass the sentence, shut up and take your €160K plus expenses in thankful silence, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

This case is still before the courts, so this thread is closed until such time as the case concludes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No they don't...

They outsource the checking to third party companies - check your contract paperwork - its probably in there in the fine print. Same with eBay & other american companies. That way when something goes wrong they have someone to blame - or sue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement