Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any broadband provider that will sign you up if you don't have an eircode yet?

• 28-10-2020 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

We're moving house, but the builder didn't apply for an eircode. We had to do it ourselves. That could take ages & as we get closer to moving in, I can't seem to find any service provider that will hook us up unless we have one. We were with Vodafone, but they couldn't carry over the contract because, like all the others, having just our address simply isn't good enough.

Does anyone know of any companies that will be able to sort it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Airwire seem to be more on the ball with this situation than any of the other ISPs I've heard of. Brother had a new build without an eircode and they remained in constant contact with him about the install. The actual install will depend on having one from what I gather, but Airwire were at least willing to keep the order pending or on-hold until that came through and were very on the ball about the order afterwards when it came to liasing with OpenEir through to final install.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭ffm

Nuphor wrote: »
    Airwire seem to be more on the ball with this situation than any of the other ISPs I've heard of. Brother had a new build without an eircode and they remained in constant contact with him about the install. The actual install will depend on having one from what I gather, but Airwire were at least willing to keep the order pending or on-hold until that came through and were very on the ball about the order afterwards when it came to liasing with OpenEir through to final install.

OK, I contacted them & because the house isn't even coming up on Google maps, it turns out that they can't help me. He recommended getting a dongle until I get an eircode sorted. However, I called into Vodafone in person & the girl behind the counter said it can be done quite easily. Hopefully sorted it a couple of weeks.

I'll only believe it when it actually happens, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fair chance the shop is leading you on a wild goose chase.

IIRC (OB might hop in and confirm) if you're in a PON area then they will simply not install a copper drop. No go. This makes sense too, itd be very wasteful. That means you have to opt for FTTH which is based on an Eircode and you can't get an ARD key for service the old way.

Start testing out Three coverage in the area.

Why would some girl in a Vodafone shop send me on a wild goose chase? She checked the Internet speed in the area & said it would be no bother. 30 quid a month for the first 12 months & no installation fee. Surely she couldn't be getting that sort of thing wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Vodafone is about as honest as eir nowadays. Don't believe a word of it. She is probably right re neighbours but until you have an eircode, forget it.
    However VF do a decent 4g modem and package, 40 a month for 300Gb until things become certain for u.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    Vodafone is about as honest as eir nowadays. Don't believe a word of it. She is probably right re neighbours but until you have an eircode, forget it.
    However VF do a decent 4g modem and package, 40 a month for 300Gb until things become certain for u.

This 4g modem & package. Is this just a dongle? & can I run multiple devices off it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It's a proper box modem, connects up to 64 devices I think. Eir have same one. Just check you get data speeds on eir or VF first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Sky will happily make up an order pulling made up records out their backside to provide a phone line to prequal the line just to get the ball rolling.

Advertisement