Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cooker hood not connected to outside vent

• 28-10-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Hello all. As the title says we have a hood over the hob. The discharge side of the fan isn't connected to anything. There is a vent approx 3 feet away.... could I just exhaust out that vent with some sort of kit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

See attached pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I assume you could - but there's nothing too strange about it not venting to the outside world either. Most likely will have carbon and grease filters to clean the air before blowing it back into the room. The carbon filters can be pricey though is the only thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vent it to outside, the cooked extractor is the type that would expect external ventilation. Recirculating the hot damp air back into the room is pointless. may aswell throw the extractor in the bin then

Ok so I just need to get some ducting and hook it up to the existing vent. Is there some some of kit you can buy for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Interested Bystander

I would get some flex hose and jubilee clips to attach to the extractor and some stainless / plastic tube to push through the wall penetration to attach the other end

• Advertisement

I assume you could - but there's nothing too strange about it not venting to the outside world either. Most likely will have carbon and grease filters to clean the air before blowing it back into the room. The carbon filters can be pricey though is the only thing.

It's a gas hob so defintely not the recirculating kind.

I would definitely exhaust the air

I don't really want to go messing with the external vent pictured below. Would it do just to run a flexible duct into the vent and just rest it up against the external one .

It may do but is that vent on the windward or leeward side of the building?
    Something better might be needed if that side of the building is exposed. Last thing you need is a backdraught every time you switch it on.
    It might be an idea to go into your local steel fabricator and ask them to make you a square (rectangular) to round transition to try and shore up the gap.

Butting the hose up against that opening as is would not be sustainable as its a cold bridge and should be sealed and insulated as well as possible. This isn't as complicated as it sounds. A lot of homes would be in dire shape if it weren't for expandable foam from a can :)
    And if you have a bit more of that attic insulation, you can pack it in there around it too before sealing it up from the kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's a gas hob so defintely not the recirculating kind.

Much better to vent it outside so!

I had a hood much like it in my last apartment, there was no outside wall to vent it too, i would have been pumping it into the hall leading to the bedrooms! Carbon filters done a grand job, but they were pricey to replace, the grease filters were cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

It might be an idea to go into your local steel fabricator and ask them to make you a square (rectangular) to round transition to try and shore up the gap..

Would this do the job... dealing with a similar issue myself!

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/spigot-plates/0432873

Or even somehting like this could be better?

https://www.electricalworld.com/en/ie/Domus-4-Rigid-Duct-Straight-Connector-with-Damper-and-Wall-Plate---4/s-5146-9454.aspx?PartnerID=73&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Ireland&gclid=CjwKCAjw0On8BRAgEiwAincsHF49QYeejp3XHWIBps_BcyJI4jTR1MAZR9PoFOFkhwy4-wwuXXfpuxoCbr8QAvD_BwE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The second one you posted looks better, you need a flapped outlet to stop a draft from coming back into the room when the fan is off.

To the op; you will need to change the external grille on that vent if you're going to use it, no way is there enough space for the extractor to exhaust through

Tails142 wrote: »
    The second one you posted looks better, you need a flapped outlet to stop a draft from coming back into the room when the fan is off.

To the op; you will need to change the external grille on that vent if you're going to use it, no way is there enough space for the extractor to exhaust through

I'm actually going to get another hole bored in the wall and have it directly behind the hood. I think that's probabaly the right way to do it :)

There is a batten right where I need to bore the 6 inch hole. Does it matter?

Advertisement