Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Touch for kids

Options
  • 28-10-2020 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭

My young girl (10 year) old has suddenly decided that she might ask for a Ipod Touch for Christmas. Is the Touch just a version of an iphone but without the phone capabilities and whats the point of them in this day and age when kids have tablets, xboxs, etc?? I understand that you can message and facetime other Iphone users over wifi only so at least it could only be used around the house or where they can connect to wifi. Not too keen on getting her something that acts as a phone when shes still a little too young? Anyone any thought on an ipod touch for a 10 year old?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It can just be a small tablet if you want it to be.

My kids have had iPods since they were nine. I have them set up via Apple family account that any app they want to install has to approved by me. I get a notification to allow it on my own phone.

Your child can only message others if you set up something like iMessages using an iCloud account, and then only to contacts you add to their list. Certain apps like TikTok will allow messaging between "friends", but again you'd have to allow an account be set up in the child's name with an email address.

Long story short, you can lock it up as much as you feel you need to.

YouTube is the only outlier. You can switch on a Safe Search option, but it's not foolproof. Sometimes you might just need to keep an eye on what's popping up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My daughter (11) uses an old iPhone 7 of mine with no SIM card, which is effectively the same as an iPod touch and only works in WiFi. I have it locked down that she needs my permission to install any apps, have time limits set up for both when she can use it, and how long she can use specific apps, and I have it logged into my YouTube account, so I can see her watch history (a mixture of slime tutorials and stupid fail videos).

She does use WhatsApp, which I was slow to allow her to use, but all her class are on it, and especially with the restrictions is an important outlet for keeping in contact with her friends. From what I've seen, it appears to be just a constant stream of emojis and duck-face selfies back and forth.

I find it better than a tablet for her, as it's more resilient to dropping, being sat on and left under piles of clothes on the floor. Plus it was free, as it was my old work phone - but if I had to pay for one for her, I probably would go with the iPod touch over the iPad for her. Same functionality, but cheaper, easier to carry around, and less prone to damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've a 6th generation, bought it in July 2015. I mostly use it for podcasts for running, it's been great.

A refurbished one from Apple's online store would do the trick and save a few quid.

Advertisement