Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube Stereo 160 2015 Groupset Upgrade

Options
  • 28-10-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

just looking for a bit of advice, my poor ould cube needs a bit of tlc, so i wanna upgrade the groupset, im currently running a 2x10, put i wanna go with a 1x system. im unsure if its worth pushing it to 1x12, im unsure if the frame will even take it, but there shouldnt be a problem with the 1x11. price is also gonna be an issue, and it looks like theres fairly serious supply chain issues across the board at the moment. i realise im also gonna need a dt swiss micro spline, do you folks have any advice before i proceed with this, what are the pitfalls with such a job? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭El Vino

I put a 1x12 NX on my hardtail, rear cassette fits on a standard Shimano freehub rather than Sram XD driver. Love the 50 tooth bottom gear, you could climb a wall on it. Everything I need came in the box for GBP £249 from CRC

PS Eagle deraillers are a pain to set up, watched lots of youtube clips

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

El Vino wrote: »
    I put a 1x12 NX on my hardtail, rear cassette fits on a standard Shimano freehub rather than Sram XD driver. Love the 50 tooth bottom gear, you could climb a wall on it. Everything I need came in the box for GBP £249 from CRC

it looks like i have to get a dt swiss micro spline, certainly to fit a 1x12, unsure if the 1x11 needs one though, id rather stay with the shimano, nothing wrong with sram at all though

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭comanche_cor

Determining factor will be the hub IMO - depends on what driver this can take. Otherwise its starts to get very expensive.

Was looking to change a 2x10 setup on Vitus before to 1x12 and it was looking to get expensive and the hub I had would not support a 1x12 driver. So was looking at 1x11...

All this compatibility stuff would melt your head! (Just got caught out with shimane ispec-ev and ispec-ii compatibility!)

Determining factor will be the hub IMO - depends on what driver this can take. Otherwise its starts to get very expensive.

Was looking to change a 2x10 setup on Vitus before to 1x12 and it was looking to get expensive and the hub I had would not support a 1x12 driver. So was looking at 1x11...

All this compatibility stuff would melt your head! (Just got caught out with shimane ispec-ev and ispec-ii compatibility!)

yea i need to do more homework on this, and my head is already being melted with it, prices certainly are adding up, depending what range of groupset i want, will also determine the final price, i might have to downgrade from my usual default of xt.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Unlikely to be appreciated here but I can't recommend the Microshift Ardent drivetrains highly enough.
    I've been running the 1*9 for approximately 18 months now with no problems. Numerous trips, all kinds of riding, couple of crashes, all weather conditions over many many miles and has only required a couple of twists on the barrel adjuster on one occasion.
    E130 delivered for shifter, cable, derailuer & cassette (11*42 I think).
    They've just released a 1*10 version (1*48) which is similarly priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭covey123

Unlikely to be appreciated here but I can't recommend the Microshift Ardent drivetrains highly enough.
    I've been running the 1*9 for approximately 18 months now with no problems. Numerous trips, all kinds of riding, couple of crashes, all weather conditions over many many miles and has only required a couple of twists on the barrel adjuster on one occasion.
    E130 delivered for shifter, cable, derailuer & cassette (11*42 I think).
    They've just released a 1*10 version (1*48) which is similarly priced.

What is the quality of the shifting like with this compared to the bigger brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

just looking for a bit of advice, my poor ould cube needs a bit of tlc, so i wanna upgrade the groupset, im currently running a 2x10, put i wanna go with a 1x system. im unsure if its worth pushing it to 1x12, im unsure if the frame will even take it, but there shouldnt be a problem with the 1x11. price is also gonna be an issue, and it looks like theres fairly serious supply chain issues across the board at the moment. i realise im also gonna need a dt swiss micro spline, do you folks have any advice before i proceed with this, what are the pitfalls with such a job? thank you

Couple years back, I went from 2x10 sram to 1x11 shimano on my 2016 kona. It was a great upgrade in the sense of less maintenance, front derailleur used to give me problems at the worst timings on a trail.
    I didn't have to change the hub and it was a straight swap which was great. Even once you've purchased double check that the new cassette goes on before start dismantling the old components.
    I have 1x12 on my latest bike and tbh not sure if the range is that much more noticeable than the 1x11.

prunudo wrote: »
    Couple years back, I went from 2x10 sram to 1x11 shimano on my 2016 kona. It was a great upgrade in the sense of less maintenance, front derailleur used to give me problems at the worst timings on a trail.
    I didn't have to change the hub and it was a straight swap which was great. Even once you've purchased double check that the new cassette goes on before start dismantling the old components.
    I have 1x12 on my latest bike and tbh not sure if the range is that much more noticeable than the 1x11.

yea i was thinking the cassette would be the first thing to tackle for that reason, thanks though, still debating x11 or x12, i suspect x11 will be fine also, but my little boys brain is saying, more is better, but is it worth the hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yea i was thinking the cassette would be the first thing to tackle for that reason, thanks though, still debating x11 or x12, i suspect x11 will be fine also, but my little boys brain is saying, more is better, but is it worth the hassle!

It will probably depend what width your rear axle is too whether you can fit the 1x12 in. Biggest problem for the next few months is going to be availability, a lot of the 1x12s maybe assigned to new bikes so your hand may be forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

covey123 wrote: »
    What is the quality of the shifting like with this compared to the bigger brands?

To give some background re what I'm comparing it to.... 8yr old Shimano 105 on my roadbike, slightly younger Shimano SLX 9sp deraileur with XTR shifter on one of my mtb's... and then a couple of spins on XT 1*10 equiped mtb's owned by mates.

I'd normally set up my bikes according to how I've learned however with the Microshift I purposefully followed their Youtube video step by step, despite having done so many times previously.
    The only better shifting setup that I've encountered so far is my Alfine hub geared mtb.

Gear changes are solid and quick and no messing about, slipping etc.
    The only adjustment needed thus far was after maybe 600kms and that was after an 8hr race with a couple of similar length days riding the preceding week for training/shake-down rides; the adjustment needed was simply a couple of turns on the barrel adjuster.

The system came with a cable but I chucked it in the spares bin and used a Shimano cable with full length outer.
    Only once have I dropped a chain but that was after the clutch was switched off accidentally during transit.
    I use it with a 30t oval chainring and it's been all I've needed thus far.

They are however HG drive so that may be an issue compatibility wise?

• Advertisement
Advertisement