Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

Options
  • 28-10-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

I have had no health insurance for a long time. I'm shopping around trying to find the best policy to suit my needs and it is so confusing.

I tried looking up threads on the subjects on Boards and ancient threads are coming up. Like 10 year old ones pop up first. Why is that?

Anyway, do any of you have any advice on how to simplify it and how to get the best value cover?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Check the discussions on AAM also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Geuze wrote: »
    Check the discussions on AAM also.

Thanks I didn't know about that. I'm still bewildered at the vast amount of policies available and don't really know what I should be looking out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Claire897

I'm in the same position! Just can't figure out what we need or what the differences are really between the policies. Have you had any luck?

Claire897 wrote: »
    I'm in the same position! Just can't figure out what we need or what the differences are really between the policies. Have you had any luck?

No Claire. I have looked at the comparison website but it hasn't helped because I don't really know what I need to look out for.

I think I need some advice on this but I'm not sure where to go for it. Maybe I should ring VHI and Laya and see can they help at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Google Dermot Goode and give him a ring.

happyday wrote: »
    No Claire. I have looked at the comparison website but it hasn't helped because I don't really know what I need to look out for.

I think I need some advice on this but I'm not sure where to go for it. Maybe I should ring VHI and Laya and see can they help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks I didn't know about that. I'm still bewildered at the vast amount of policies available and don't really know what I should be looking out for.

The tyranny of choice.

There are way too many plans available.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

The hia comparison website is very good. I hope that I can mention the AAM website here. It has an excellent contributor (snowyb) who has saved me a lot of money over the years. Dermot Goode is fantastic. He regularly appears on radio shows (Pat Kenny and the old Seán O' Rourke show). Any time he mentions good plans, my policy (currently Simply Connect Plus from Laya) tends to feature. If you look at recent podcasts, you might be able to find some information. I renew annually and it forces me to do a bit of research before renewing. If I was paying by direct debit, I think that I wouldn't be as diligent at researching. It's important to look at the fine print. A few years ago I changed plans but went onto a plan that didn't offer as good cover for spectacle wearers. I hope that you get sorted.

Odeta wrote: »
    The hia comparison website is very good. I hope that I can mention the AAM website here. It has an excellent contributor (snowyb) who has saved me a lot of money over the years. Dermot Goode is fantastic. He regularly appears on radio shows (Pat Kenny and the old Seán O' Rourke show). Any time he mentions good plans, my policy (currently Simply Connect Plus from Laya) tends to feature. If you look at recent podcasts, you might be able to find some information. I renew annually and it forces me to do a bit of research before renewing. If I was paying by direct debit, I think that I wouldn't be as diligent at researching. It's important to look at the fine print. A few years ago I changed plans but went onto a plan that didn't offer as good cover for spectacle wearers. I hope that you get sorted.

Thanks for that Odeta. What is the podcast called?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

If you happen to be a teacher or nurse Cornmarket will do a check for you. I think they get commission but I use it as a guide then contact the companies myself.

• Advertisement

If you happen to be a teacher or nurse Cornmarket will do a check for you. I think they get commission but I use it as a guide then contact the companies myself.

I'm an SNA. I'll check that out. I think they do offer some types of insurance to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Thanks for that Odeta. What is the podcast called?

Hi happyday. I was referring to the RTE & Newstalk podcasts. Just had a quick search of the Newstalk website and see that Dermot Goode features in Pat Kenny "Advice on Health Insurance" podcasts on October 13th, August 31st, July 6th and May 7th to name a few. Happy listening happyday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

VHI have a popular plan called PMI3613. It might be a good staring point for comparison purposes. I know a few large corporate customers have gone for it.

Thanks very much for those tips. I'll check into them all. This is a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RenewalDiary

Did you try Cornmarket? They can advise and they don't charge you (they get commission on the other side but the price is the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all, can anyone recommend a mid-range plan? HIA site is great, but even at that, it's all a bit bamboozling.

My OH and I turn 35 next month, never had Health Insurance, and wish to just 'get in' before Community Rating kicks in.

We are, thankfully, in relatively good health, with two small children.

Money a bit tighter than usual as OH is on unpaid leave, but certainly we will review and upgrade our cover when it's better to do so.

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi all, can anyone recommend a mid-range plan? HIA site is great, but even at that, it's all a bit bamboozling.

My OH and I turn 35 next month, never had Health Insurance, and wish to just 'get in' before Community Rating kicks in.

We are, thankfully, in relatively good health, with two small children.

Money a bit tighter than usual as OH is on unpaid leave, but certainly we will review and upgrade our cover when it's better to do so.

I went with Signify from Laya in the end. I found the amount of different policies on offer so deliberately confusing. I rang Cornmarket first. They are insurance brokers for healthcare and other types of insurance.

I spoke to them and had a plan recommended. Then I had to ring VHI and Laya to get details of old policies I had with them to get credits for time I was insured with them. While I was in the them I got a quote from each of them.

Actually speaking to someone from each company was a great help. Laya won out in the end because of a good price relatively speaking, cover that suited me and the fact that I could claim immediately for new conditions with no waiting period.

I would recommend that you have a look at that policy and then ring each of the companies and speak to someone and see what they come up with for you.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement