Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

How many teachers are in hospital or have died from Covid 19?

Something tells me they are pretty safe in their work environment.

Ah right, we wait for people to start dying before something is done, great attitude. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

alroley wrote: »
    Of course I have talked to the principal. The response I got was that there is just not enough room. We can't just kick kids out of school so everyone can social distance.

I am not a member of ASTI so will not be striking if that is what ends up happening.

Your principal is doing you a disservice so.

Putting you in danger when the department guidelines are clear.

He shouldn't be putting you in that situation.

What's wrong with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is complete nonsense, if it were true, then the positivity rate would be 100%.

It isn’t.

It is true

What's wrong with him?

Have you read the guidelines? The get out clause "where possible" is being applied in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

People need to become extremely ill or die to get a safe workplace? Got it.

• Advertisement

Ah right, we wait for people to start dying before something is done, great attitude. :rolleyes:

Well people are dying.

And most of us still have to work.

Why don't you start a campaign for food factories to go on strike or do you have to wait on someone to die first?

Great attitude.

Unions asked this quesrion and were not given an answer.

What's wrong with him?

Uhhh it clearly states that schools should social distance "where possible." She is doing nothing wrong according to the Department of Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Tomtom3105

Yeah f*ck teachers for wanting safe work environments! Don't they know they don't matter? :rolleyes:

That's the spirit welcome aboard recruit. :)

People need to become extremely ill or die to get a safe workplace? Got it.

Hope to see you calling for the meat factories and other essential workplaces to be closed tommorow until there is a guarantee of no covid transmission or deaths.

• Advertisement

Well people are dying.

Why don't you start a campaign for food factories to go on strike or do you have to wait on someone to die first?

Great attitude.

My brother works in a factory and he said school sounds a million times worse. He'd never be in small rooms and badly ventilated rooms with 200+ different people in one day.

Well people are dying.

Great attitude.

Typical deflection I see. I believe meat workers got a lot of media attention to highlight their cause and try find ways to protect them.

Who is talking about not working? Everyone wants to work, just to be safe while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Healthcare workers have died.

Care workers in nursing homes have died.

Meat factory workers have died.

Retail workers have died.

All died after contacting COVID in the workplace, none of them have gone on strike.

No teachers have died and no teachers are likely to die from catching COVID in the workplace, yet teachers are going on strike. Says it all, really about the true motives of the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

You are less likely to get it if your workplace has protocols in place to prevent it spreading particularly when a large proportion of your workplace (our students) are more likely to be asymptomatic. I don't think anyone is expecting zero. Just the same contact tracing protocols as others.

]

I feel like I'm on a merry go round here, you want the same contact tracing as where exactly?
    I'm thinking you want the general guidelines to apply to teacher, which would mean all schools would be closed in a mater of days if being adopted. So my question to you is, is this what you want?

You do not need the same contact tracing as we know schools are not a large transmitter of the virus.

Hope to see you calling for the meat factories and other essential workplaces to be closed tommorow until there is a guarantee of no covid transmission or deaths.

Who said anything about a guarantee?

I just want actual social distancing and better contact tracing for schools.

But go on twisting words to suit your narrative.

My brother works in a factory and he said school sounds a million times worse. He'd never be in small rooms and badly ventilated rooms with 200+ different people in one day.

Million times worst.

OK so, you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'll give you an example. At the moment,due to the school version of contact tracing, in some classrooms no one is being deemed a close contact. Not one person. Do you think this is plausible? Students are less than 2m apart, they are wearing masks, teacher also wearing a mask. Classes are 1hour in duration.

Anyway I've my views, others have theirs. I agree with ASTI mostly, but think they shouldn't have brought pay issue in to it. I hope the issues are solved way before strike action comes in to play.

This is the key issue that has risen most in recent weeks.

Some questions and observations which I ask genuinely.

If we deem every student and teacher a close contact when a kid tests positive..then the entire class is gone for two weeks. If one of the kids has a sibling in the school, that class is gone too, if they mixed with another class, that class is gone etc etc.

So essentially, given cases in the community can never be zero, we will have situations whereby one positive case could close huge chunks of a school. Rinse and repeat etc.

So it seems very difficult to see how a school can remain open of all students and the teacher have to self isolate for two weeks every time there is a single positive case.

There is a clear balance to be struck between keeping schools open and the risk of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If 1% of teachers died from covid I would expect schools to stay open, we are not in fantasy land here, people from all walks of life will get sick and die and it is a cost we all must bear, we don't have a magic money pot and we can't extend the children's window of accelerated learning, just get on with it, like the gardai and the doctors and the nurses.

All died after contacting COVID in the workplace, none of them have gone on strike.

No teachers have died and no teachers are likely to die from catching COVID in the workplace, yet teachers are going on strike. Says it all, really about the true motives of the strike.

You sure no teacher has died? You can confirm that I suppose?

A lot of people have died. Nursing homes were a scandal of you remember? And only now precautions have been taken to ensure it doesnt happen again. Maybe the dept. of ed, should do more to ensure schools do not end up like nursing homes.

If 1% of teachers died from covid I would expect schools to stay open, we are not in fantasy land here, people from all walks of life will get sick and die and it is a cost we all must bear, we don't have a magic money pot and we can't extend the children's window of accelerated learning, just get on with it, like the gardai and the doctors and the nurses.

Nice to know people are so disposable in your eyes.

• Advertisement

No teachers have died
    and no teachers are likely to die from catching COVID in the workplace, yet teachers are going on strike. Says it all, really about the true motives of the strike.

Can you confirm any of the statements in bold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Tomtom3105 wrote: »
    Honestly every time I see ASTI threatens strike I just zone out to their demands I personally dont care either way what they do my child lost full year this year, home schooled him, he went back he slotted in fine it was fine, but just from talking to friends and family and colleagues and their genuine fear of the teachers striking I think its shameful enough for the teachers to stick their oar in now, you would think there would be a case for parents to be on their side aswell,essentially the infections could come back to our homes from these infection hot spots the teachers reckon they are in, its just we dont need this right now and the teachers know it and are trying to capitalise on a ****ty situation, thats just what I think tho it is not backed up with any Harvard references.

Thanks for explaining. I understand where you are coming from and I totally get the frustration.

I'm a teacher. I'm not a member of ASTI and I wouldn't vote for strike action if I was. I won't put myself in a position where I am a close contact of anybody though, because I don't trust the system to look after me if I did turn out to be one.

It kind of means that I am not really doing my job as thoroughly as I could be, but at least I know I'm safe. I'm also showing up every day and I think all involved seem happy enough with that

I teach in a well-resourced school, where principal, staff, students and family are working together to keep us open, we have lots of PPE, everyone is very compliant and staff and students really enjoy being there. My principal is super-approachable too. Not all schools are like that to be fair. I also have no health complications, which makes willingness to turn up every day a lot easier. The list of health complications that warrant you being able to work from home are insane, you'd need to have one foot in the grave to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Nice to know people are so disposable in your eyes.

Yes they are, look in a history book, this is nothing. Society requires sacrifice at times. Every other front line worker is doing it. And teachers are essential to every industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

You sure no teacher has died? You can confirm that I suppose?

A lot of people have died. Nursing homes were a scandal of you remember? And only now precautions have been taken to ensure it doesnt happen again. Maybe the dept. of ed, should do more to ensure schools do not end up like nursing homes.

Give over, we are long enough into this virus, yes mistakes were made but that does not mean it's an argument to close schools. Another drama teacher I assume?

Yes they are, look in a history book, this is nothing. Society requires sacrifice at times. Every other front line worker is doing it. And teachers are essential to every industry.

Yikes.

Snotty wrote: »
    Give over, we are long enough into this virus, yes mistakes were made but that does not mean it's an argument to close schools. Another drama teacher I assume?

No one has mentioned closing schools. Just to enhance protections and increase testing.

No one has mentioned closing schools. Just to enhance protections and increase testing.

What other profession do you want the same level of testing as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Newbie20 wrote: »
    How do teachers propose schools stay open?

I know comprehension is a weak point of yours but that was the question I was responding to. Did I say that I was listing out all of the demands? No.

Had I spoken in length about not agreeing with them looking for restoration of pay in a previous post just minutes before? Yes

Are you just looking to get a rise out of teachers / give out about them because you have nothing better to be doing / are bitter? Yes

Have I just realised that I’m wasting my time arguing on this thread with people that love to give out but probably don’t do a tap of work themselves? Yes, which is why I’m off to bed.

Keep digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Teachers going on about how much they want to keep the schools open while trying their best to close them down reminds me of the water protestors obstructing and squaring up to meter-installers and screaming "peaceful protest" into their faces with a loudhailer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

And increase pay.

Advertisement