Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No one has mentioned closing schools. Just to enhance protections and increase testing.

What other profession do you want the same level of testing as?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Any. If I was sitting less than 2m away from someone with Covid in an office then I would be tested. I wouldn't be if I was less than 2m away from them in a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

No one has mentioned closing schools. Just to enhance protections and increase testing.

Not sure if you are serious or not, but what the union want will lead to schools being closed, just because it's not phrased that way doesn't change the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

alroley wrote: »
    Any. If I was sitting less than 2m away from someone with Covid in an office then I would be tested. I wouldn't be if I was less than 2m away from them in a school.

So would you be happy then if they just introduced mandatory daily testing of teachers in school? They can send a nurse up every day to jab an uncomfortable swab up your nose.

No extra money needed - just the daily swab?

You'd also be 3 times more likely (10%) to catch it in community rather than school (3%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Treatment similar to that of nurses, with More frequent and detailed publication of statistics on teacher- worker infection, including the source of transmission, with quick turnaround time for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

People need to become extremely ill or die to get a safe workplace? Got it.

Better close down those hospitals.

And increase pay.

This thread really is full of dumb ****s. Maybe it would be best to keep schools open all summer so we don't end up with more idiots.

Pay equality and pay rise are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Tomtom3105

Is it the way you think.you have covid because I'm sure you can go ask for a covid test if you want like your doctor will refer you if you just say two of the symptoms or whatever. Or like if you heard a child in your class had it you could ask for one could you ?

So would you be happy then if they just introduced mandatory daily testing of teachers in school? They can send a nurse up every day to jab an uncomfortable swab up your nose.

You got it!

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    You'd also be 3 times more likely (10%) to catch it in community rather than school (3%)

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You sure no teacher has died? You can confirm that I suppose?

A lot of people have died. Nursing homes were a scandal of you remember? And only now precautions have been taken to ensure it doesnt happen again. Maybe the dept. of ed, should do more to ensure schools do not end up like nursing homes.

Given that teachers were at home from March to September, and that there have been few deaths since 1 September, I stand over my assertion that no teacher has died from contacting COVID in the workplace. Sure, some of them may have caught it and died from a funeral or wedding or holiday abroad, but not from the workplace.

Ditto re the future, the protocols are in place, any teacher who sticks to them will be ok. Fully expect that there will be teacher deaths from ill-conceived Christmas parties, other unauthorised social gatherings and lapses in the staff rooms, but that isn’t on school management or the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

This thread really is full of dumb ****s. Maybe it would be best to keep schools open all summer so we don't end up with more idiots.

Ah, so you want the extra allowances to be removed from the pre 2010 teachers then?

Given that you don't want any rises then the only way to achieve equality is to bring the higher ones down.

Interesting approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah we can't actually do that, we do not have the testing capacity, testing is the focus for 8 months, most countries still struggling to get 24 hour testing consistently. Again it's not for a want of motivation, they just can't achieve it, so we get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I know you're being smart, but I've friends in the UAE who teach in schools and they get weekly tests over there.

I would love if that could happen here - for work but also because my father is high-risk and I don't go to visit him just in case. At least if I was tested weekly, I could go and see him. I know I'm not the only one with a sick father before you point that out to me btw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

blanch152 wrote: »
    Given that teachers were at home from March to September, and that there have been few deaths since 1 September, I stand over my assertion that no teacher has died from contacting COVID in the workplace. Sure, some of them may have caught it and died from a funeral or wedding or holiday abroad, but not from the workplace.

Ditto re the future, the protocols are in place, any teacher who sticks to them will be ok. Fully expect that there will be teacher deaths from ill-conceived Christmas parties, other unauthorised social gatherings and lapses in the staff rooms, but that isn’t on school management or the Department.

Is that some sick joke - holiday abroad?

The Dept. Needs to make the information public if staff at schools have died by transmission during work. We don't have the data. They wont answer that.

Christmas parties? Are you mad??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I feel like I'm on a merry go round here, you want the same contact tracing as where exactly?
    I'm thinking you want the general guidelines to apply to teacher, which would mean all schools would be closed in a mater of days if being adopted. So my question to you is, is this what you want?

You do not need the same contact tracing as we know schools are not a large transmitter of the virus.

WHO agree with you about schools not being major sources of transmission but disagree with you regarding schools not needing the same contact tracing. I copied below from WHO Q&A re schools opening.

Link to full Q and A here (i didn't paste everything)

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-schools

WHO recommends the following:

Community-level measures: Carry out early detection, testing, contact tracing and quarantine of contacts; investigate clusters; ensure physical distancing, hand and hygiene practices and age-appropriate mask use; shield vulnerable groups. Community-led initiatives such as addressing misleading rumors also play an important role in reducing the risk of infection.

Policy, practice and infrastructure: Ensure the necessary resources, policies and infrastructure, are in place that protect the health and safety of all school personnel, including people at higher risk.

Behavioral aspects: Consider the age and capacity of students to understand and respect measures put in place. Younger children may find it more difficult to adhere to physical distancing or the appropriate use of masks.

Safety and security: School closure or re-opening may affect the safety and security of students and the most vulnerable children may require special attention, such as during pick-up and drop-off.

Hygiene and daily practices at the school and classroom level: Physical distancing of at least 1 metre between individuals including spacing of desks, frequent hand and respiratory hygiene, age-appropriate mask use, ventilation and environmental cleaning measures should be in place to limit exposure. Schools should educate staff and students on COVID-19 prevention measures, develop a schedule for daily cleaning and disinfection of the school environment, facilities and frequently touches surfaces, and ensure availability of hand hygiene facilities and national/local guidance on the use of masks.

Screening and care of sick students, teachers and other school staff: Schools should enforce the policy of “staying home if unwell”, waive the requirement for a doctor’s note, create a checklist for parents/students/staff to decide whether to go to school (taking into consideration the local situation), ensure students who have been in contact with a COVID-19 case stay home for 14 days, and consider options for screening on arrival.

blanch152 wrote: »

Your weird hatred of an entire profession is not normal. It's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

There is actual bulk testing of schools being done to get larger testing samples, kind of kills your argument.

There really really isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Tomtom3105

See this comment here 'keep schools open longer so we dont end up with more idiots' it's this kind of patronising arrogance that make people not care about yer aggrivances. Do you actually think you are so Important that you are educating all intelligence into the public that intelligence can be attained nowhere else in society only classrooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Is pay one of the demands or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

How many teachers are in hospital or have died from Covid 19?

Something tells me they are pretty safe in their work environment.

As we aren't being given this data we have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Is that some sick joke - holiday abroad?

The Dept. Needs to make the information public if staff at schools have died by transmission during work. We don't have the data. They wont answer that.

Christmas parties? Are you mad??

To be honest, you didn't even point out the maddest part of that post .... teachers might die from going into their staff rooms, but they won't die in work. :pac:

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I know you're being smart, but I've friends in the UAE who teach in schools and they get weekly tests over there.

I would love if that could happen here - for work but also because my father is high-risk and I don't go to visit him just in case. At least if I was teated weekly, I could go and see him. I know I'm not the only one with a sick father before you point that out to me btw

Same! My Dad is high risk and still suffering daily from Covid he caught in March. I can't risk seeing him since being back at school, but at least if I got tested I could go home and see my parents at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Ah, so you want the extra allowances to be removed from the pre 2010 teachers then?

Given that you don't want any rises then the only way to achieve equality is to bring the higher ones down.

Interesting approach.

Very generous, giving back to the state in a time of crisis. They should be commended.

Tomtom3105 wrote: »
    See this comment here 'keep schools open longer so we dont end up with more idiots' it's this kind of patronising arrogance that make people not care about yer aggrivances. Do you actually think you are so Important that you are educating all intelligence into the public that intelligence can be attained nowhere else in society only classrooms?

If schools are not important then why care so much about keeping them open?

(I want them open too - but the idea in this thread is that teachers do not and everyone else does)

Is pay one of the demands or not?

Equality and restoration, not a pay rise.

WHO agree with you about schools not being major sources of transmission but disagree with you regarding schools not needing the same contact tracing. I copied below from WHO Q&A re schools opening.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm against contact tracing, if it could be done, great. But it cannot, the system cannot handle it, it can't even handle a busy weekend.
    If you want to blame the gov for not getting the resources in place sooner when a second wave was a known risk, you would be right to, but we are where we are and it's just not possible and I'll add, not really needed right now in the list of where better testing and tracing is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Interesting approach.

Inflammatory statements being made by this poster constantly i advise teachers not to engage

Advertisement