Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

alroley wrote: »
    Equality and restoration, not a pay rise.

So no ones pay would rise? How exactly is it ‘pay restoration’ for new joiners since 2010 if they were never paid the higher rate in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Snotty wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm against contact tracing, if it could be done, great. But it cannot, the system cannot handle it, it can't even handle a busy weekend.
    If you want to blame the gov for not getting the resources in place sooner when a second wave was a known risk, you would be right to, but we are where we are and it's just not possible and I'll add, not really needed right now in the list of where better testing and tracing is required.

Where is it required?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Inflammatory statements being made by this poster constantly i advise teachers not to engage

Perhaps but he is logically correct.

Inflammatory statements being made by this poster constantly i advise teachers not to engage

I’d say the same to other posters. Avoid engaging with obvious union officials.

I’d say the same to other posters. Avoid engaging with obvious union officials.

Bit of the auld paranoia do we?

• Advertisement

Bit of the auld paranoia do we?

Yeah, sure. Paranoia. Well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Ah, so you want the extra allowances to be removed from the pre 2010 teachers then?

Given that you don't want any rises then the only way to achieve equality is to bring the higher ones down.

Interesting approach.

That will never happen because, from what I have witnessed (not much admittedly, because those meetings make me sick) the unions are largely made up of teachers in receipt of those higher allowances. Many retired.

The worst thing about the unions bringing up the issue of equal pay is that they do not want a bit of it, it doesn't concern them.

Can't speak for ASTI as I'm not a member, but it never surprises me to see how silent the TUI are on these matters

Thanks.

If you really think a union official, would be on boards.ie, at 12.30 at night, in a thread like this?....

Well....

Thanks.

If you really think a union official, would be on boards.ie, at 12.30 at night, in a thread like this?....

Well....

Overtime all round. Did you not get the memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Ah, so you want the extra allowances to be removed from the pre 2010 teachers then?

Given that you don't want any rises then the only way to achieve equality is to bring the higher ones down.

Interesting approach.

Not much of a saving in that, most of them retired or are about to retire, on their nice pensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Tomtom3105

If schools are not important then why care so much about keeping them open?

(I want them open too - but the idea in this thread is that teachers do not and everyone else does)

Ah you just deviated from the arguement with that outburst I just thought it was worth noting your arrogance towards your position of hierarchy in society which strengthens the root of my arguement and of my aggrievaces with teachers and this strike action nicely thats all. You will be responding to comments by grammar correcting next I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

I'm a teacher. Only those deemed "very high risk" can work from home. High Risk must present in school

Serious question , how can a teacher work from home ? , Video link to classroom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Government needs to drive a wedge between this and asti, that would be a good start. Could offer tui something and cut 5% of most experienced teachers in an opening salvo.

Overtime all round. Did you not get the memo?

Not my union. Overtime, for debating you, in a boards thread?

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Tomtom3105 wrote: »
    Ah you just deviated from the arguement with that outburst I just thought it was worth noting your arrogance towards your position of hierarchy in society which strengthens the root of my arguement and of my aggrievaces with teachers and this strike action nicely thats all. You will be responding to comments by grammar correcting next I reckon.

I was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm against contact tracing, if it could be done, great. But it cannot, the system cannot handle it, it can't even handle a busy weekend.
    If you want to blame the gov for not getting the resources in place sooner when a second wave was a known risk, you would be right to, but we are where we are and it's just not possible and I'll add, not really needed right now in the list of where better testing and tracing is required.

It is needed. Students may be low risk ( i emphasise may, i worry about possible long term effects) but many teachers are not. Over a million people are in our schools daily, we need contact tracing to prevent community spread I would think.

I've already stated my background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Serious question , how can a teacher work from home ? , Video link to classroom ?

Staff in our school who are isolating due to being a close contact are still teaching their classes via video link. A sub is in the class to supervise, but the teachers are still teaching their classes

Personal insults already being thrown about by that poster. Poster is starting to lost it.

Not my union. Overtime, for debating you, in a boards thread?

tenor.gif

You need to join the ASTI. Overtime being thrown around like confetti.

• Advertisement

Dayo93 wrote: »

Exactly. Video link/zoom/teams or whatever platforn school has decided on

I was being sarcastic.

When you said schools should remain open longer to avoid more idiots or whatever the line was,,, that was sarcasm or?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Where is it required?

Considering the general testing and tracing is under huge pressure and results are taking up to 3 days, I'd have to say the whole system as it currently functions, without expansion.
    If by some miracle it was fixed, then I think a strategic approach should be taken, more investigation into the tracing and find patterns that would lead to better preventive testing of outbreak blackspots, only speculation but I'd rather see them say "OK we are seeing betting shops are causing a few outbreaks" , so instead of level 4/5 all over, we close betting shops and move on to the next area that is casing transmission spikes.

When you said schools should remain open longer to avoid more idiots or whatever the line was,,, that was sarcasm or?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

It is needed. Students may be low risk ( i emphasise may, i worry about possible long term effects) but many teachers are not. Over a million people are in our schools daily, we need contact tracing to prevent community spread I would think.

Needed yes, possible no.
    System cannot function as it is and schools do have lower transmission rates so no justification for what would be a huge burden on an already stretched system.

Yes.

Thats not how sarcasm is presented though example :
    oh close the schools sure noone needs them - sarcasm

If we close the schools we will be overrun by idiots - cynicism

Which example does your comment fit better with?

Thats not how sarcasm is presented though example :
    oh close the schools sure noone needs them - sarcasm

If we close the schools we will be overrun by idiots - cynicism

Which example does your comment fit better with?

I was being sarcastic :))))

But you know, obsess over this if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Your weird hatred of an entire profession is not normal. It's sad.

Where did you get that from my post?

There are very many excellent teachers, but their representatives in the unions are for the birds.

At least the teachers had the sense to reject the vote to go on strike for free N95 masks, but that was a question their executive was stupid enough to ask.

Needed yes, possible no.
    System cannot function as it is and schools do have lower transmission rates so no justification for what would be a huge burden on an already stretched system.

Why did they make it so cumbersome? In secondary schools some limited contact tracing could take place within schools. Although i can see why principals may be reluctant. They have enough on their plates.

But hypothetically if student A tests positive it's only a matter of printing his timetable and class lists to contact trace the bulk of his contacts then get him to identify who he was with at break and lunch. Not perfect but better than nothing.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Where did you get that from my post?

There are very many excellent teachers, but their representatives in the unions are for the birds.

At least the teachers had the sense to reject the vote to go on strike for free N95 masks, but that was a question their executive was stupid enough to ask.

You literally said teachers would get covid and die from going to parties. wtf planet are you on if you think there will be school Christmas parties and that teachers will go to parties!?

Advertisement