Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Why do you bother arguing with morons ?

Usually if a user is threadbanned and they try to sneak back in a day or so later, they would have the cop on to wait a while before continuing where they left off......

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Then what is your response to Iscreamkone above?

This one?

How many teachers have died due to Covid since it kicked off? How many in icu? How many have caught it in the classroom?

I actually don't know whether they are genuine questions or not. Do you want me to address the actual literal questions? The answer is that I do not know.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Donald
    You were the spanner who said a tradesman calling to a couple of houses is equivalent to being in one place and teaching at least 200 students a day ? With another 300 students plus hanging around..
    Then these students go back and forth to their houses etc.
    I'm sorry but that's one moronic statement. I'd question your compus mentis

Usually if a user is threadbanned and they try to sneak back in a day or so later, they would have the cop on to wait a while before continuing where they left off......
    I did no sneaking and being banned for calling out idiocy is a badge of honor!😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

This one?

I actually don't know whether they are genuine questions or not. Do you want me to address the actual literal questions? The answer is that I do not know.

I think based on his posting record in the thread we can guess as to the intentions. So for every teacher you see taking an overly defensive position I can point towards this level of commentary.

So sticking to the facts is easiest. Do you disagree with improved contact tracing in schools, seeing as they basically gave up 2 weeks ago? This means high risk kids and teachers can attend more classes and feel safer.

Do you think that improved testing regimes should be in force to minimise school closures and to identify cases and outbreaks earlier?this means that students can feel safer, and will ultimately lead to less blanket restrictions such as placing the entire country on level 5.

I know what you think about equal pay so you don't need to answer that one.

Everything else is irrelevant is irrelevant to be honest.

• Advertisement

I think based on his posting record in the thread we can guess as to the intentions. So for every teacher you see taking an overly defensive position I can point towards this level of commentary.

So sticking to the facts is easiest. Do you disagree with improved contact tracing in schools, seeing as they basically gave up 2 weeks ago? This means high risk kids and teachers can attend more classes and feel safer.

Do you think that improved testing regimes should be in force to minimise school closures and to identify cases and outbreaks earlier?this means that students can feel safer, and will ultimately lead to less blanket restrictions such as placing the entire country on level 5.

I know what you think about equal pay so you don't need to answer that one.

Everything else is irrelevant is irrelevant to be honest.

I genuinely hadn't noticed anything remarkable or memorable from that poster that made me remember what they said. I actually wasn't sure whether they were asking those questions or saying it sarcastically. I hadn't recognised from their name and that post what "side" there are on so to speak.

I am in favour of strong restrictions and better testing in general. If we could do everywhere what the teachers are asking for tomorrow then it should be done. We don't seem to be at that stage now. Whoever's fault that is is a different discussion.

If Tony Hoolihan comes out this evening and says that resources need to be taken from elsewhere to implement what teachers are requesting then I will support it. What I don't want is scarce resources being taken from somewhere else because a group in statistically less need, and lower priority in terms of the overall picture of getting things under control, has a bigger voice and bigger leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

How many teachers have died due to Covid since it kicked off? How many in icu? How many have caught it in the classroom?

Maybe the HSE will answer you if you ask, the INTO asked for similar such information and were told to run and jump.

Donald
    Nobody really cares what you think.
    In the end a close contact definition has to be consistent end of story.
    Not a moveable feast.

I genuinely hadn't noticed anything remarkable or memorable from that poster that made me remember what they said. I actually wasn't sure whether they were asking those questions or saying it sarcastically. I hadn't recognised from their name and that post what "side" there are on so to speak.

I am in favour of strong restrictions and better testing in general. If we could do everywhere what the teachers are asking for tomorrow then it should be done. We don't seem to be at that stage now. Whoever's fault that is is a different discussion.

If Tony Hoolihan comes out this evening and says that resources need to be taken from elsewhere to implement what teachers are requesting then I will support it. What I don't want is scarce resources being taken from somewhere else because a group in statistically less need, and lower priority in terms of the overall picture of getting things under control, has a bigger voice and bigger leverage.

Well the we are mostly in agreement and I'm happy with that. My main issue is the rank hypocrisy of everything, and I imagine that if what gauls everyone. Some posters see teachers as having a cushy existence on pay during a pandemic, whereas teachers then look at tds preaching about safe schools while they rent out a massive convention centre so that they can be a distanced as possible. Schools are safe and can remain open, but restaurants and pubs have to close because.. Reasons? Either the virus moves in a certain way or it doesn't, that's everyone's big issue I feel.

A completely nonsensical opinion. With most places close what resources do you see being moved? Do you just think this stuff off the top of your head ? Plus the statistics are erroneous but I ain't got time to deal with every mistake you make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I have found that there seems to be a lot of aggressive teachers on boards that are quick to the insults if someone says something which differs to their own position. Not something I have experienced in the general population of teachers out there thankfully. Hopefully just an internet persona.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I have found that there seems to be a lot of aggressive teachers on boards that are quick to the insults if someone says something which differs to their own position. Not something I have experienced in the general population of teachers out there thankfully. Hopefully just an internet persona.

Exact same ratio with regards to non teachers and parents, something I've noticed too. Sometimes people are just dicks apparently.

I've seen so many posters on here take a certain stance and people just assume they are teachers. Not every poster whompresents themselves as a teacher is actually a teacher. Same as every poster who sticks up for education and teachers aren't actually teachers.

Name the posters who you consider aggressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Name the posters who you consider aggressive?

I'm going nowhere near that minefield of a question, I'm sure people can make up their own minds.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    A completely nonsensical opinion. With most places close what resources do you see being moved? Do you just think this stuff off the top of your head ? Plus the statistics are erroneous but I ain't got time to deal with every mistake you make.

Actually yes I did think of it out of my head.

Where do you usually pull your own thinking from?

:D

I'm going nowhere near that minefield of a question, I'm sure people can make up their own minds.

Money where your mouth is time.

Easy to make insinuations but then hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Would be great to see a minister or Taoiseach stand up to teachers and put them in their place once and for all. Unfortunately, we live in Ireland where such politicians don't exist.

Bunch of spoilt, entitled, arrogant children who throw their toys out of the pram anytime they have to overcome any difficulty and get on with things. The vast majority of them wouldn't last two minutes in the real world.

I hope they do strike so people in Ireland can really tell them what they think of them.

Money where your mouth is time.

Easy to make insinuations but then hide.

I think we found our first contestant above. I'm sure bubba will call him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I think we found our first contestant above. I'm sure bubba will call him out.

You can tell you're a teacher, been on this thread all day today and yesterday spouting nonsense. No wonder people think teachers have it so handy.

Would be great to see a minister or Taoiseach stand up to teachers and put them in their place once and for all. Unfortunately, we live in Ireland where such politicians don't exist.

Bunch of spoilt, entitled, arrogant children who throw their toys out of the pram anytime they have to overcome any difficulty and get on with things. The vast majority of them wouldn't last two minutes in the real world.

I hope they do strike so people in Ireland can really tell them what they think of them.

I suggest you get a beer and just rant at the news

• Advertisement

You can tell you're a teacher, been on this thread all day today and yesterday spouting nonsense. No wonder people think teachers have it so handy.

Well yeah, I'm on midterm and quite openly said I was a teacher? This is also a thread about a teaching union, but if you can point to my "nonsense" when I was trying to have a civil debate with Mr. Trump above, please enlighten me.

Well yeah, I'm on midterm and quite openly said I was a teacher? This is also a thread about a teaching union, but if you can point to my "nonsense" when I was trying to have a civil debate with Mr. Trump above, please enlighten me.

President Trump to you! :pac:

pl06DrqUXXWx.gif

*not actually calling you a bollocks. Done for comedic purposes to try to lighten the bitter mood of the thread

President Trump to you! :pac:

pl06DrqUXXWx.gif

*not actually calling you a bollocks. Done for comedic purposes to try to lighten the bitter mood of the thread

We will see in a few days how you fair ❤️ to be honest, I'd like to see you for 4 more just to see the internet explode.

The primary teacher who goes into their classroom with the same 20 or so little kids every day is going to be in a much safer environment that someone who has to work in different places and interact with different people every day - no? Maybe even having multiple call outs to different location every day.

Plus the school rooms are cleaned and sanitized every evening. There was extra funding put in place for new cleaning staff to do this.

Nonsense, and it is totally disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

A tradesman who goes into your home should wear a mask and practice social distancing. Most of the time there is nobody even in a house or occupants are working elsewhere. We had tradesmen in our house last week and it was perfectly safe. Zero risk as we barely went near them. A primary teacher literally sits in the same room as 20-30 kids who cannot social distance and don't wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

In relation to ASTI, mad stuff altogether. Sad that teachers are represented by this type of people.
    Teachers should receive equal pay but to push for this during a pandemic is disgusting. This is not the time for it. Teachers are being badly “advised” and “lead” if they think this is the correct path forward.
    As for union representatives making statements and demands in relation to matters of public health they need to remember they are teachers and nothing more. Public health experts are responsible for public health, not teachers. Cop yourselves on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Hubertj wrote: »
    Mad stuff altogether. Sad that teachers are represented by this type of people.
    Teachers should receive equal pay but to push for this during a pandemic is disgusting. This is not the time for it. Teachers are being badly “advised” and “lead” if they think this is the correct path forward.
    As for union representatives making statements and demands in relation to matters of public health they need to remember they are teachers and nothing more. Public health experts are responsible for public health, not teachers. Cop yourselves on

Just to say it is one union out of 3 so dont tar all teachers with same brush.

khalessi wrote: »
    Just to say it is one union out of 3 so dont tar all teachers with same brush.

Apologies I should have made that clear. Will amend

Apologies I should have made that clear. Will amend

The only thing I'd add is that, yes, I agree, public health experts should be listened to. But you have a govt that ignored Tony's advice 2 weeks previous... Now instead of 4 week lockdown it's 6. What else have they ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mad stuff altogether. Sad that teachers are represented by this type of people.

The equal pay argument is a strange one. they say that pre and post-2010 teachers are doing the same job so deserve equal pay. However, if that is the case then why are teachers who have been teaching for years getting more than their younger colleagues - they're doing the same work? If time service increases are justified then so is it justified to have newer teachers start on different levels also.

From my own time at school, I don't recall any long service teachers being any better than the newer ones. Also in the private sector, it is very common for someone being recruited to be on a different pay grade than another doing the same role.

• Advertisement

p
    The only thing I'd add is that, yes, I agree, public health experts should be listened to. But you have a govt that ignored Tony's advice 2 weeks previous... Now instead of 4 week lockdown it's 6. What else have they ignored?

What recommendations have public health officials made in relation to schools? Have any been ignored?

Advertisement