Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options

Comments

Schools finishing on the 18th gives everyone (kids, parents - not just teachers) the possibility of a week without contacts before seeing elderly relatives etc. on Stephens' Day onwards.

Make up the days later if absolutely necessary but to me it makes complete sense to close the schools on the 18th (and no I am not a teacher and not related to one either, I'm working on the 24th and back on the 29th :rolleyes: )

Sure they should finish on the 11th so as per self-quarantine periods to ensure people are certain they haven't been infected and can't spread the virus to others.

But that's not the case so the finishing early is just a proposal to give teachers extra time off ...... very transparent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

khalessi wrote: »
    Actually frontline workers are already entitled to the vaccine, so teachers are not taking it off anyone, all the people you referenced are already entitled to it.

Since teachers are referred to as frontline workers by government TDs but not treated equally when it comes to being considered a close contact or testing and not entitled to the flu vaccine either, the least they can do is ask.

Everybody will get a chance for the Covid vaccine, but they are asking to be prioritised. Prioritised before whom?

Prioritised before elderly people with underlying conditions who have been coccooning since March?
    Prioritised before nurses?
    Prioritised before firemen?
    Prioritised before meat factory workers?
    Prioritised before care workers?
    Prioritised before retail workers who are in contact with hundreds of adults spreading the virus every day?
    Prioritised before those in the high risk and very high risk categories?

If the answer to all of the above is no, then they are in the same line with the rest of us and what are they asking for? If the answer is yes to any of the above, how do they justify it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

blanch152 wrote: »
    Everybody will get a chance for the Covid vaccine, but they are asking to be prioritised. Prioritised before whom?

Prioritised before elderly people with underlying conditions who have been coccooning since March?
    Prioritised before retail workers who are in contact with hundreds of adults spreading the virus every day?

If the answer to all of the above is no, then they are in the same line with the rest of us and what are they asking for? If the answer is yes to any of the above, how do they justify it?

Really is pathetic your utter hatred towards anyone connected to education.

I feel sorry for people who feel like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s a valid question though, do you feel you should be prioritised before any of the groups listed above?

Dav010 wrote: »
    It’s a valid question though, do you feel you should be prioritised before any of the groups listed above?

Why shouldn't we be considered like them is a more pertinent question?

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

Why shouldn't we be considered like them is a more pertinent question?

Ye are, and none of those groups are getting 2 days extra annual leave either :)

Augeo wrote: »
    tenor.gif

What should I get a grip of?

By all accounts there will be a limited supply of vaccines initially, sorry, no, you should be near the top of the list for everyone else, after those that are priority are vaccinated.

That simply isn't true as a statement. Again, answer the question as to who you wish to be prioritised before?

Teachers are mixing with children who are less prone to get the virus and less prone to spread the virus. All of the others are either working in environments where the virus can easily spread, in the high-risk or very high-risk categories, meeting large numbers of adults on a daily basis or are working caring for those in high risk and very high risk categories.

So again, please explain to me which teachers want to be prioritised ahead of and why?

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    By all accounts there will be a limited supply of vaccines initially, sorry, no, you should be near the top of the list for everyone else, after those that are priority are vaccinated.

Glad to see that teachers, especially primary are considered expendable. Remember we have on average 27/28 in a class, no masks. Open the windows is the height of it.

That simply isn't true as a statement. Again, answer the question as to who you wish to be prioritised before?

Teachers are mixing with children who are less prone to get the virus and less prone to spread the virus. All of the others are either working in environments where the virus can easily spread, in the high-risk or very high-risk categories, meeting large numbers of adults on a daily basis or are working caring for those in high risk and very high risk categories.

So again, please explain to me which teachers want to be prioritised ahead of and why?

Explain to me why we shouldn't be considered for the vaccine? In a primary class the only people wearing a mask are the adults.

Nothing the chap said suggested he has an utter hatred towards anyone connected to education.

So your comment "I feel sorry for people who feel like you" is OTT blathering.

Glad to see that teachers, especially primary are considered expendable. Remember we have on average 27/28 in a class, no masks. Open the windows is the height of it.

Nobody is considered expendable.

Again, please explain to us where teachers should rank in priority. Who should get the vaccine before them and who has to wait in line behind them?

I would let teachers have the vaccine ahead of me, they can have priority over me. However, all the categories I have listed, and a few more, deserve the vaccine before teachers.

Do you agree?

Nothing the chap said suggested he has an utter hatred towards anyone connected to education.

So your comment "I feel sorry for people who feel like you" is OTT blathering.

If you say so. I really do feel sorry for people who can't actually put aside their hatred for a profession enough to have a constructive discussion. Always comes back to the issue that that poster thinks that teachers are beneath them.

Nobody is considered expendable.

Again, please explain to us where teachers should rank in priority. Who should get the vaccine before them and who has to wait in line behind them?

I would let teachers have the vaccine ahead of me, they can have priority over me. However, all the categories I have listed, and a few more, deserve the vaccine before teachers.

Do you agree?

Again should teachers not be considered like the others that you say are further up the queue than us?

We are essential when they want schools open but not essential enough when it comes to vaccines.

If you say so. I really do feel sorry for people who can't actually put aside their hatred for a profession enough to have a constructive discussion. Always comes back to the issue that that poster thinks that teachers are beneath them.

Here you go again............. I feel that perhaps you reckon teaching is a sh1t gig and you project those feelings. Perhaps you made the wrong career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Nurses firemen care workers already have access to the vaccine.

My niece is very high risk with Cystic Fibrosis, she got the vaccine weeks ago. My parents considered elderly already have access to the vaccine got it early October. Those who are high risk or cocooning are entitled to get the vaccine

The government not me put teachers on the same pedestal as frontline staff so treat us the same. I am a nurse I worked as one for 20 years, now I am a teacher, I didnt ask to be considered a frontline worker but the government have consistently trotted it out to pat us on the head.

You keep trying to make **** up to hype your anti teacher rhetoric. I dont care where they put teachers but if they insist on calling us frontline and even frontline heroes as they did on the radiothen give me the same PPE and treat me properly when it comes to identifying close contacts, and testing.

Teachers have even been referred to on here as frontline when it suits people to keep schools open
    FOr months your posts have contained anti teacher rhetoric get over it

FOr months your posts have contained anti teacher rhetoric get over it

Maybe yourself and the other poster need to get over it?

Maybe yourself and the other poster need to get over it?

Thank you for your deep insight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Essential does not equal frontline. But I do think essential workers like teachers need to be prioritized accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personally I think the priority should be

Frontline staff , ie doctors , nurses carers , ambulance crews , phyios , GPs , porters etc

all Care home workers including catering staff .

Over 85
    Over 70

Vulnerable and immuno compromised

Over 65

Pharmacy workers

Primary teachers
    Primary school children
    Secondary teachers

Retail floor staff

The rest of society

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Essential does not equal frontline. But I do think essential workers like teachers need to be prioritized accordingly.

Tell that to the government they are the ones who constantly say we are frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭blackbox

Nurses firemen care workers already have access to the vaccine.

My niece is very high risk with Cystic Fibrosis, she got the vaccine weeks ago. My parents considered elderly already have access to the vaccine got it early October. Those who are high risk or cocooning are entitled to get the vaccine

Which Covid vaccine was that? I wasn't aware that any had received final approval yet?

blackbox wrote: »
    Which Covid vaccine was that? I wasn't aware that any had received final approval yet?

Presumably they are on about the flu vaccine?

blackbox wrote: »

flu vaccine for those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Personally I think the priority should be

Frontline staff , ie doctors , nurses carers , ambulance crews , phyios , GPs , porters etc

all Care home workers including catering staff .

Over 85
    Over 70

Vulnerable and immuno compromised

Over 65

Pharmacy workers

Primary teachers
    Primary school children
    Secondary teachers

Retail floor staff

The rest of society

I'm not sure how GPs can be considered front line but not pharmacy staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ceegee wrote: »
    I'm not sure how GPs can be considered front line but not pharmacy staff.

Its just my opinion but GPs are hands on and in very close contact
    Any pharmacy I have been in have plastic screens between them and the customer

Hospital pharmacist maybe a different matter .

Here you go again............. I feel that perhaps you reckon teaching is a sh1t gig and you project those feelings. Perhaps you made the wrong career choice.

If you think so. You really haven't a breeze.

• Advertisement

ASTI representative brought on The Last Word a few mins ago banging on again about a pay rise for teachers. He got short shrift on that one.

Advertisement