Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Nope I'm just a number. Not irreplaceable but obviously a lot more familiar than you on the realities. Who will be queing for my "sweet number"? ASTI don't need public support. Arguably, the more aggrieved the public are the sooner the government will seek to resolve the issues. So I'm sure ASTI will be delighted to hear that you don't support them.

If you strike - I’d say let you there. If the schools close until alternative arrangements can be made so be it. But the clock would stop on your pay and pension. You could continue to give grinds though - if there is a demand for grinds in Religion and PE.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is there two tier pay in all other area's?

Say someone working as a clerical officer or a garda?
    Is that 2 tier pay for doing the same job based on the date of entry ?

Yes, there is. The teachers make out they are some singled-out downtrodden group, when the opposite is the case. They are among the most privileged in the public service.

For example, annual leave in the public service got cut for everyone during the crisis........except teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

If you strike - I’d say let you there. If the schools close until alternative arrangements can be made so be it. But the clock would stop on your pay and pension. You could continue to give grinds though - if there is a demand for grinds in Religion and PE.

Please tell me that you realise that strikes are unpaid? You can't threaten striking workers with stopping their pay as they have already decided to forfit it themselves.... interested in hearing about your alternative arrangements?

Frightening lack of understanding for why unions are necessary.

The problem isn’t with unions.
    The problem is with unions acting the cnut

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, there is. The teachers make out they are some singled-out downtrodden group, when the opposite is the case. They are among the most privileged in the public service.

For example, annual leave in the public service got cut for everyone during the crisis........except teachers.

Teachers were disproportionately affected because of the cut to qualification allowances which were essentially core pay as you have to hold these qualifications to be a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bobtheman wrote: »
    He wants revenge for the way his life turned out and a teacher rightly calling him a moron
    If you got your head out of your hole
    Yawn. Just cause you failed the exam.- don't take it out on us
    Pay equality dip stick.

Threadbanned

Anyway- night nite x
    I’ve to get up for work tomorrow

The problem isn’t with unions.
    The problem is with unions acting the cnut

Do you know what the role of a union is? You also didn't answr my previous questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Huge amount of rabble rabble in this thread without anyone asking how can schools remain open, which is needed for the economy to function and teachers to stop complaining?

Do you want full PPE gear?
    Do you want less students in the classroom?

I see plenty of mention of close contact definitions and tracking, but I don't see how any of that answers the question, how do teachers propose schools stay open?

Snotty wrote: »
    Huge amount of rabble rabble in this thread without anyone asking how can schools remain open, which is needed for the economy to function and teachers to stop complaining?

I see plenty of mention of close contact definitions and tracking, but I don't see how any of that answers the question, how do teachers propose schools stay open?

They aren't looking for full PPE or less students. They aren't looking to close schools. The close contact definitions and tracing are about making schools safer not closing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Could you not just look it up yourself rather than reading all the rabble? Teachers have made it very clear that they want schools to stay open. They want the definition of a close contact in schools to change (basically to be in line with what a close contact is in any other walk of life) and they want faster test turnaround times. Not big requests at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Teachers were disproportionately affected because of the cut to qualification allowances which were essentially core pay as you have to hold these qualifications to be a teacher.

Teachers have one of the best starting salaries of anyone if the public sector. Better than physios, nurses, pharmacists, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

They want more money. If that happens all their safety concerns will miraculously disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

They want more money. If that happens all their safety concerns will miraculously disappear.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Tomtom3105

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Could you not just look it up yourself rather than reading all the rabble? Teachers have made it very clear that they want schools to stay open. They want the definition of a close contact in schools to change (basically to be in line with what a close contact is in any other walk of life) and they want faster test turnaround times. Not big requests at all really.

The test turnarounds are 24 now tho are they not ?
    They also have a wages arguement cos more money would make them safer from covid.

No mention of pay there.

Teachers have one of the best starting salaries of anyone if the public sector. Better than physios, nurses, pharmacists, etc.

One of the best starting salaries assuming full hours and 12 month contract (uncommon and usually takes a few years to achieve) compared with others who need a masters and 6 years in college (subject depending)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Tomtom3105 wrote: »
    They also have a wages arguement cos more money would make them safer from covid.

More money would make them safer, they could then offer bribes to Covid to get him to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

They aren't looking for full PPE or less students. They aren't looking to close schools. The close contact definitions and tracing are about making schools safer not closing them.

So a change in definition makes a school safer? Again all that would lead to is teachers being able to take their 2 weeks self isolation every time a student tests positive, which across all classes basically means that a couple of cases would close the school.

My question was how can schools stay open and teacher be happy, a change in definition will not result in this.

Not in tipperary anyway, not sure about other areas of the country

• Advertisement

So a change in definition makes a school safer? Again all that would lead to is teachers being able to take their 2 weeks self isolation every time a student tests positive, which across all classes basically means that a couple of cases would close the school.

My question was how can schools stay open and teacher be happy, a change in definition will not result in this.

Well it'd stop untested cases remaining in the school community and spreading the viris further.... that's safer in my book

Lots of overtime being racked up by the union officials tonight. Defending the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

blanch152 wrote:

Really? Mine didn't.

Public sector worker (not a teacher)

Ah now I see the covid contact problem is that the teachers themselves are not being considered close contacts therefore they are not getting the two weeks off with pay when a student tests positive, is that the 'tracking ' issue they want 'redefined'?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

No mention of pay there.

I already posted a page or two back that I don’t agree with tackling the pay issue at all now. I’m not going to repeat myself in every post. I was posting in response to the question as to how teachers suggested keeping schools open.

Lots of overtime being racked up by the union officials tonight. Defending the indefensible.

If that's aimed at me you couldn't be more wrong. I'm a member of the TUI and not an official either. I just dislike the constant running down of my profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A bit of wee Daniel might help the teachers

https://youtu.be/bYqJ3EfHY3c

Not in tipperary anyway, not sure about other areas of the country

Anyone I know adult, child or preschooler in cork, and I know a few, have gone for tests midday and received results 24hours later.

Anyone I know adult, child or preschooler in cork, and I know a few, have gone for tests midday and received results 24hours later.

Testing lab in Cork and none in Tipperary maybe? My sister in law tested today told 2-3days for result but "might be quicker". Most people I know who were tested (in tipp)were around 48hours or so

• Advertisement

I already posted a page or two back that I don’t agree with tackling the pay issue at all now. I’m not going to repeat myself in every post. I was posting in response to the question as to how teachers suggested keeping schools open.

No, you were misrepresenting the reasons for striking.

Advertisement