Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else NOT going insane

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

I'm with you. I'm a bit of a grinch so glad the build up to christmas has been muted. Silver lining and all that.

I really don't understand it.
    How can anyone prefer the atmosphere and surroundings now to what was before.
    People walking around half empty and closed down cities and towns half depressed and you would prefer that to a lively happy atmosphere.
    I get what your saying about the decorations ok they are up too early but this is just depressing what is happening.

mikekerry wrote: »
    People walking around half empty and closed down cities and towns half depressed and you would prefer that to a lively happy atmosphere.
    I get what your saying about the decorations ok they are up too early but this is just depressing what is happening.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'd obviously prefer a full blown Christmas over a pandemic. Given that we're in a pandemic, I'm enjoying not having Christmas shoved down my throat from November. Minor positive in all the negative. Christmas seems to go on for over a month. I don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'd obviously prefer a full blown Christmas over a pandemic. Given that we're in a pandemic, I'm enjoying not having Christmas shoved down my throat from November. Minor positive in all the negative. Christmas seems to go on for over a month. I don't like that.

Ok I thought you were saying you enjoyed the current atmosphere.
    A misunderstanding.

I seemed to have found a sort of peace now. I think it's because the uncertainty of not knowing what they will do next has gone. We are in level 5 and staying here until December. The constant yo yoing has stopped, for now at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I really enjoyed being asked by my ex abusive monster boss to go back to work for
    him as they needed me urgently and responding with silence. That was an absolute joy.

I’m loving the peace of being to decide to do nothing and not challenging myself and competing to achieve. I’m LOVING that.

Its been FOREVER since I decided to lie on a warm sunny bed all day and watch the trees and do absolutely nothing except lie in the sun in the moment - no deadlines, no work, no traffic, no parking or fear of clamping no urgency, no rush. Just warm, comfortable, relaxing, peace - no stress, no hurry to be productive, no desire to go out and eat/meet people/ do things - because everything is unavailable or not fair
    to do because of the greater good.
    Permission to snooze. I LOVE It!

Sure there are lots of minuses but after 20 years of the screw being twisted and everything getting more and more frenzied, challenging, stressful and endlessly demanding and busy its great to have no proper option but to unwind, relax and be calm. There is nothing fair I can control or do here except for the common good - permission to slow down, to chill, to unwind.

Life is not perfect, there are big underlying worries and issues but they might be legislated for or sort themselves out, but the peace and space and mental pause is really good.

I guess its like stepping back into the 1980’s
    (only with the worlds information available in wifi and endless entertainment at your fingertips!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

If you must then may I recommend:

A Green Spot whiskey, for a mellow taste

A Connemara whiskey for a peaty taste

or a Woodford Reserve for a Tennesse Whiskey?

Kindly do it in good company and remember alcohol kills the virus.

haha what a response jaysus :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh for gods sake there is nothing normal about this November. Joyous my arse.
    In a few months you'll be begging for one of the old November's

You know that not everyone enjoyed what you consider "normal" yeah? I think Christmas died a death about 15/20 years ago when it started becoming all about commercial and not about family. The OP for your first reply above is right, Christmas shouldn't start in November, and because for the last 5 or more years it has started even before Halloween has ended, it has lost all appeal to me and many others.

And what you notice around you isn't what everyone notices. You see doom and gloom and empty streets and lack of "normality", I (and some people like me) see quietness and calm, a lack of requirement to engage in this fake, money conscious social engagements. I'd imagine it's easier for country people vs city people, but the hussle and bustle of every day "normal" life is far from what I enjoy. The "lively happy atmosphere" you refer to is, to me, fake. It's all fake, and doesn't show the downside to this "happy" lifestyle, which is the struggle people go through to be part of that, be that struggle financial or otherwise.

Why can't you accept that some people enjoy the slower, more peaceful life right now? My main love of this pandemic is the fact that where I used to get colds/flu/chest infections at least once a month, I haven't been sick since April. I'll take that over any busy, commercial driven holiday season.

I do also understand that this is tough for some people, but each to their own. I just hope, as others have said before, people start to realise the fakeness of the "old normal" and start to understand that a job is just a job, fashion is not necessary, etc, and there are far more important things in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I think its important to clarify that just because some people are NOT going insane, as per the thread title, it doesn't mean that they're not aware of the hardships associated with this pandemic, or lack empathy for people's struggles. Pretty much every other Covid related thread discusses that, this one was just asking the question if anyone is actually seeing some positives with their own personal experiences.

I've given reasons why I am feeling more content than I have for ages earlier in the thread, but you can add Christmas to that list now. I know that it brings a lot of joy to people, which is great, and I love talking to my nieces and nephews on Christmas morning who are all still at a Santa age. For me personally though, it really depresses me, and always has my whole adult life, so missing out on this year is actually a relief.

Advertisement