Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone using a .222 or .17 hornet?

Options
  • 28-10-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Looking to get either.

For my club area,

a 22 hornet is not flat enough, and a 223 is possibly too much.

Interested in availability/reliability of ammo and price more so...

will be used for fox, corvids, and when all this ****e is over, range.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

slipperyox wrote: »
    Looking to get either.

For my club area,

Many thanks

had a 17 hornet, laser accuracy, traded because it was a bit too small for me,
    222 ammo scarce and expensive, why not a 204

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Very little difference between a .222 and a .223. The .222 is sold in countries where military calibre rifles cannot be owned by civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

had a 17 hornet, laser accuracy, traded because it was a bit too small for me,
    222 ammo scarce and expensive, why not a 204

.204 very long, from what I've seen, but maybe

and heard the 17H is inhumane on fox?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

slipperyox wrote: »
    Looking to get either.

For my club area,

Many thanks

.17 WSM?
    a .222 and .223 are very similar the .222 is the parent case for the 223 ;)
    A .22 hornet is grand out to 200m

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

. 223 won't be too much.
    Keep it simple, loads of ammo and not expensive. There is a reason 90% of lads use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm interested in the .222 myself. There are one or two retailers selling the ammo and at least one main dealer advertising new ones on thier website here.

I was eager to get a 22 hornet and it still tickles my fancy. I'm not looking for something to reach out to the next county with as even when I've used .243, 270 and 30-06 on foxs I was shooting them well less then 200 yards.

Would be interested on anyones first hand experience with the .222 Rem.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

It's hard to beat the 223. Ammo is available everywhere and you can get ballistic tip ammo for less than €1 a shot.

It's the perfect foxing calibre in my opinion. Pair it with a moderator and night vision and you'll have a serious setup.

I find it difficult to recommend any other calibre for foxing. Also if you get a 1/8 twist you'll be able to fire 55gr to some really heavy rounds for long range target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I'm interested in the .222 myself. There are one or two retailers selling the ammo and at least one main dealer advertising new ones on thier website here.

I was eager to get a 22 hornet and it still tickles my fancy. I'm not looking for something to reach out to the next county with as even when I've used .243, 270 and 30-06 on foxs I was shooting them well less then 200 yards.

The .222 was the centrefire benchrest cartridge of choice years ago. It has a very long neck which is supposed to contribute to accuracy. I had a hornet for years, and the scores of foxes i shot with it never complained about it, but if i were buying a .22 centrefire now, it'd be a .223. The hornet ammo is the same price give or take as the .223. Its a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

Jesus a 30-06 on a little fox?! That’s a bit overkill no?

no_4 wrote: »

Hehe ive used a .308 , overkill is a sentiment of the living :P :D
    Why do lads think a .243 is grand for foxes but a .308 is too much?
    Use lighter rounds , i used sako 130gr .308 on foxes and it was quite the ticket
    I have a .22 hornet now though i may use my 6.5x55

• Advertisement

Dead is Dead......

530985.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

Noise and recoil for 2 reasons!
    Hehe ive used a .308 , overkill is a sentiment of the living :P :D
    Why do lads think a .243 is grand for foxes but a .308 is too much?
    Use lighter rounds , i used sako 130gr .308 on foxes and it was quite the ticket
    I have a .22 hornet now though i may use my 6.5x55

Ah i had a decent moderator on very little differance between it and a .243 with a mod on and the .308 doesnt kick that much i never had issues with second shots etc

I can tell you now that my moderated 30-06 has a flatter deeper report off it then my moderated .243 did and that's using the same moderator . My mates unmoderated 30-06 is the same, more of a boooooom than an ear splitting crack off the other mates .243 in the exact same rifle model.
    As for recoil I've never felt it when fired at live quarry and that's also in 7mm Rem Mag, 8x68 and various 9.3 cartridges . Now bench shooting some of them fir zeroing is a different matter.

Advertisement