Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a one way switch from a two way switch

Options
  • 28-10-2020 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I have a single two way switch in the kitchen.This switch is wired to another switch L!/L1 and L2/L2 and the com goes directly to the light so the com on the other switch goes to live.I want to replace this switch with a double switch and wire the other half one way to another light.Can I take a live from the 2way to the 1way or do I need to bring in a live from outside.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    I have a single two way switch in the kitchen.This switch is wired to another switch L!/L1 and L2/L2 and the com goes directly to the light so the com on the other switch goes to live.I want to replace this switch with a double switch and wire the other half one way to another light.Can I take a live from the 2way to the 1way or do I need to bring in a live from outside.Thanks.

You can loop the live to the second switch in the double switch. You'll obviously need to get a switch wire from the new light to the switch as well. The neutral for the new light will also need to be on the same circuit as the live at the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

aido79 wrote: »
    You can loop the live to the second switch in the double switch. You'll obviously need to get a switch wire from the new light to the switch as well. The neutral for the new light will also need to be on the same circuit as the live at the switch.
    Good point re the neutral especially on upstairs downstairs circuits. Gets very confusing when there is borrowed neutrals and no RCD to detect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

alan4cult wrote: »
    Good point re the neutral especially on upstairs downstairs circuits. Gets very confusing when there is borrowed neutrals and no RCD to detect.

You shouldn't expect to see it when fitting Rcbos , testing and new wiring should rule out borrowed neutrals

They do flag it up though , they're handy in lots of ways

Advertisement