Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España stage 9: Castrillo del Val to Aguilar de Campoo (157.7km)

Options
  • 29-10-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

With a couple of bumps en route and a completely flat final 5km, this looks like it's nicely set up for a bunch sprint finish.

Can Sam make it 2 from 2? Or will Ackermann or Philipsen bite back? Bookies say most definitely Sam!

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-9-map-62e34a79d2.jpg

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-9-profile-279559f652.jpg

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-9-finish-c0d47654a4.png

Sam 4/6
    Ackermann 10/3
    Philipsen 15/4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Long Shot Prediction of the day... Sam, Froomedog and Danhole to make a sneaky break off the front with 15k to go, time trial to the line and pull out a minute over Carapaz and Roglic.

Short Shot Prediction of the day... Sam to come past Ackermann and win with impressive ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

All aboard the Quick Step train... Choo Choo!
    Come on Sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

Any educated guess what time this finishes today? I can't find anything on the official Vuelta website

Any educated guess what time this finishes today? I can't find anything on the official Vuelta website

The website can be a bit of a pain but the info is there.

16.05 @43 km/h
    16.15 @41 km/h
    16.27 @39 km/h

All times are Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

16.05 @43 km/h
    16.15 @41 km/h
    16.27 @39 km/h

Wonder what time I'd finish at a blistering 25km/h?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not one to watch on TV all day I'd say. Breaak to get up to 8/9 minutes and the DQT and Bora to bring it back in the last 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Dodge wrote: »
    Not one to watch on TV all day I'd say. Breaak to get up to 8/9 minutes and the DQT and Bora to bring it back in the last 10k

Only 2 invitee team riders in the break, should be easy to pull them back, down to 3mins now.
    First hour

13:36

Aritz Bagües (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) and Juan Felipe Osorio (Burgos-BH) covered 41.1km. Their lead is down to 3'00''.

I'm not watching the coverage but the live text updates say that Ackermann was involved in a crash. He got some magic spray from the medical car and is back in the peloton

80km to go Break at 2:18

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    80km to go Break at 2:18

The peloton could do with slowing down a bit or they'll catch the breakaway too quickly

The peloton could do with slowing down a bit or they'll catch the breakaway too quickly

Shouldn't be an issue on this flat route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm not watching the coverage but the live text updates say that Ackermann was involved in a crash. He got some magic spray from the medical car and is back in the peloton

I don't like the sound of what happened to Baez in that crash.
    Just had a look back at the Saez crash and his helmet definitely breaks. His neck was supported by the doctors who appeared to be checking for head injury. He has been allowed to continue but was grimacing all the way back to the cars, but sometimes the effects of concussion and head injury aren't immediately apparent.

edit...also this was really odd to see on the tv pictures.
    The Caja Rural director is holding up Saez's helmet out of the window of the team car. Not sure why. It's absolutely destroyed and raises questions over whether the rider should still be in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I don't like the sound of what happened to Baez in that crash.

smashed helmet n they let him continue?? did they not learn from the skinny french chap in the tour who looked like he,d just come out of an all day booze session

16.05 @43 km/h
    16.15 @41 km/h
    16.27 @39 km/h

Avg. Speed
    41.8 km/h, so probably finish at 16.10 or so, as they will speed up considerably towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

"....Sorry.... ah.... Carlton..... I wasn't fully concentraaaayting on what you were saying there...."

Seán Kelly is all of us.

33km to go gap just under 40 seconds now. Anyone know if the finish is technical?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

fat bloke wrote: »
    "....Sorry.... ah.... Carlton..... I wasn't fully concentraaaayting on what you were saying there...."

Seán Kelly is all of us.

I can totally get Sean switching off from' know it all about ditches and other such painful stuff' Kirby

and Kirby's Carraig on Sewer ?? ...that mans wife must be so grateful he is out all day talking gibberish rather than doing her head in

I don’t mind Kirby. He gets a few things wrong and waffles a bit but to be fair he’s talking for hours and hours and on days like today, not much is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

MPFGLB wrote: »
    and Kirby's Carraig on Sewer ?? ...that mans wife must be so grateful he is out all day talking gibberish rather than doing her head in

It's a bit of a sh1thole in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Dodge wrote: »
    I don’t mind Kirby. He gets a few things wrong and waffles a bit but to be fair he’s talking for hours and hours and on days like today, not much is happening

Ditto. There's only so much fresh, informative cycle-related conversation you can have live on air for hours on end, day after day, when the riders are going through the motions. I've grown to enjoy his Partidge-isms.

Paddigol wrote: »
    Ditto. There's only so much fresh, informative cycle-related conversation you can have live on air for hours on end, day after day, when the riders are going through the motions. I've grown to enjoy his Partidge-isms.

Aye I was recovering from surgery on my sofa during the Tour de France and watching them cycle through the beautiful French scenery with Carlton's dulcet tones was very cathartic!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

33km to go gap just under 40 seconds now. Anyone know if the finish is technical?

Sounds very technical, a hairpin with 1300m to go amongst a series of other corners in the final 5km

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm surprised nobody has gone on a Dart for a late breakaway, with the pace being so modest.

Mechanical for Roglic. Not the best bike change in the world but the bunch slowed for him.

In other news, a Bora rider nearly clocked a fan on the side of the road with a bidon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Mechanical for Roglic. Not the best bike change in the world but the bunch slowed for him.

In other news, a Bora rider nearly clocked a fan on the side of the road with a bidon :pac:

I noticed that. I think he threw it to him but he wasn't expecting it and probably with a bit too much force :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Maybe he is a stickler for social isolation rules and fans not going to watch the races

5 km to go

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Kelly’s brain must be fried having to listen to and interact with Kirby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

DQS happy to let Bora do the work here...

Advertisement