Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España stage 9: Castrillo del Val to Aguilar de Campoo (157.7km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

happytramp wrote: »
    Any chance for Sam tomorrow?

Maybe. It depends on how hard its ridden by the break as the GC wont care about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

sy wrote: »
    Tomorrow and Stage 18

Will the Madrid authorities even allow Stage 18 to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I thought the DQ was a bit harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

breezy1985 wrote: »
    We all know what the Trek lad was up to but Sam makes a huge lunge across to hit him and its way too obvious and aggressive not to get a DQ.
    i think I would be a lot less annoyed if it was Ewan or Ackermann he hit but he is after getting Dqed over a fight with some nobody who came 13th

It makes no difference where the bloke finished. His intent was obvious. I know the shoulder charge looked bad and you can't REALLY argue with the DQ but when the best sprinter is chucked out, seems a shame.

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    It makes no difference where the bloke finished. His intent was obvious. I know the shoulder charge looked bad and you can't REALLY argue with the DQ but when the best sprinter is chucked out, seems a shame.

I think if Sam had let him in closer before he hit him the same barge suddenly looks defensive in a replay and he gets off with it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

lissard wrote: »
    Sagan got done from something similar in the TdF so completely consistent from the comms.

I said when Sagan was demoted at the tour de France that people would have been saying "oh that's racing" if it were Sam and thus it presents itself today.

Sagans was of course slightly different as it was at the sprint, be he also (and it wasn't taken into account) had some moron spectator dangle a selfie stick out in front of him at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Cyclingnews official stage preview for tomorrow says "last 2k rise at an average of 5% but shouldn't overly trouble the sprinters and their trains".... hmmm, does that add up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do we think just one shoulder would have been ignored?

Is it just me, or is it odd that appeals aren't allowed?

• Advertisement

I read the below on Cyclingnews forum? Any idea what this is about?

"Ackermann seems to say afterwards that the relegation was over Bennett head butting him? And that the objection was from Bora? What? Have we all been discussing the wrong incident or has something been lost in translation? Surely they were nowhere near each other?"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do they publish the reason and evidence for disqualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

breezy1985 wrote:
    I think if Sam had let him in closer before he hit him the same barge suddenly looks defensive in a replay and he gets off with it
    This is spot on. He made the move too early, he would have come closer and then it'd certainly have been deemed self-defense.
    happytramp wrote:
    Cyclingnews official stage preview for tomorrow says "last 2k rise at an average of 5% but shouldn't overly trouble the sprinters and their trains".... hmmm, does that add up?
    I severely doubt this.

I think we are all on the same side as regards wanting Sam to win. What he did has resulted in disqualification consistently over the last couple of years. We just have to accept this is how cycling works these days.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is spot on. He made the move too early, he would have come closer and then it'd certainly have been deemed self-defense.

I severely doubt this.

I think we are all on the same side as regards wanting Sam to win. What he did has resulted in disqualification consistently over the last couple of years. We just have to accept this is how cycling works these days.

Absolutely not... I 100% believe if we complain hard enough on social media we can get the DQ overturned. Worked with Thierry Henry's handball didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

When I saw it I thought that's trouble, was then surprised to see him give the interview with everything looking fine.

Its something he needs to watch, anyone remember the triple Quintana bump in the middle of a stage ? He got cited for that too.

When I saw it I thought that's trouble, was then surprised to see him give the interview with everything looking fine.

Its something he needs to watch, anyone remember the triple Quintana bump in the middle of a stage ? He got cited for that too.

Yeah, he was criticised early in his career for not being assertive enough in the sprint... Kelly always said he needed to throw his shoulder about a bit more. That's probably where its coming from.

Absolutely not... I 100% believe if we complain hard enough on social media we can get the DQ overturned. Worked with Thierry Henry's handball didn't it?

Make Sammy B number 33

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Do they publish the reason and evidence for disqualification?

From here
    The UCI issued a belated statement about the relegation: "UCI Commissaires’ Panel relegated rider Sam Bennett (Deceuninck–Quick-Step) for shouldering off another rider at 500m to go of the 9th stage of La Vuelta. The decision, taken unanimously, was based on television footage and taken as per article 2.12.007 of UCI Regulations sanctioning 'deviation from the chosen line or irregular sprint'. Both the rider and the team’s Sports Director have been heard by the Panel."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Any chance for Sam tomorrow?

The profile suggests it's unlikely to me, last 1.5km at 5.9% and a good few bumps in the last 60km or so.

That said the current betting is a bit bizarre!

Sam 5/4
    Aranburu 12/1
    Roglic 14/1
    Ackermann 28/1

• Advertisement

The profile suggests it's unlikely to me, last 1.5km at 5.9% and a good few bumps in the last 60km or so.

That said the current betting is a bit bizarre!

Sam 5/4
    Aranburu 12/1
    Roglic 14/1
    Ackermann 28/1

Sean Kelly was saying on the Breakaway that assuming the weather is calm tomorrow and the peleton doesn't get broken up by crosswinds, that he finds it hard to see anyone beating Bennett.

Wasn't there a stage in Turkey with a similar finish he won? Burgos this year but that was largely determined by the team getting him there first and others looking around and a crash while he buried himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    I said when Sagan was demoted at the tour de France that people would have been saying "oh that's racing" if it were Sam and thus it presents itself today.

Sagans was of course slightly different as it was at the sprint, be he also (and it wasn't taken into account) had some moron spectator dangle a selfie stick out in front of him at the time
    Sagan and Cavendish have gotten away with far worse, only in the last year they have been reigned in.
    Worked for Cavendish, he got a rider thrown out for less

Great interview with Nico Roche on the breakaway tonight. Could see him as a DS in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CramCycle wrote:
    Sagan and Cavendish have gotten away with far worse, only in the last year they have been reigned in.
    Satan was DQ'd from the Tour a couple of years back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Because of Cavendish moaning on social media, plenty of times Sagan should have been DQd, that wasn't one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

You mean Didi The Devil? :D

tour-de-france-didi-devil1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7QDJucsaaY

This is today's finish I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Great interview with Nico Roche on the breakaway tonight. Could see him as a DS in a few years.

Yes for sure Nico has a head on his shoulders. He was a great signing for Sunweb.

On a side note I’m really enjoying the breakaway, Dan Lloyd, Kelly and Smith are great on it. Not as keen on Wiggins but what can you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7QDJucsaaY

This is today's finish I believe.

If that matches today's stage, then it looks like another stage win for Roglic for me. I don't know what sprinters there were in that peloton or what the rest of the stage looked like (it might have been a mountainy stage), but it ended up being a GC/classics rider battle.

Edit: Actually found this in on some website, "We were here in 2008, but the stage was harder than this. When the bunch got to the finish, the peloton was already quite small, and Bettini won the sprint ahead of Rebellin and Cunego. The final kilometre seems to go on forever, it is harder than it looks on paper."

So maybe Sam has a chance.

Advertisement