Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to cancel sky q

Options
  • 29-10-2020 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

I've requested my sky subscription to be cancelled 3 times now from their website. Each time I get an email asking me to phone them. When I phone, tried various times of day - I get a message saying sorry we are to busy please hang up. In the request cancellation I have requested someone to phone me as I can't get through to their phone line.

I was onto a agent via messenger on their site this morning. For 3 hours I have been trying to cancel and they are ignoring my pleas. They keep asking me questions about how they might offer me things to make my life better. That it would be a disservice to me if they didn't offer me the best deal possible. I keep saying I don't want a deal. I just want to cancel. How can I cancel this legally?

I know I have to return the sky q box I just want confirmation of cancellation and details on where to send the box.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

You at 11:53, Oct 29:
    just tell me am i wasting my time here or can you actually close my account?
    Read
    sky at 11:55, Oct 29:
    There is a wait time but if you hold on you'll be sure to get someone. I can certainly get it closed off if you're unhappy with the resolution at the end.
    What has happened that you've gotten such an urgency to get rid of the package? You've been with us such a long time.
    To go from using the likes of RTE, BBC etc to having no live TV or news in the home is quite the jump.
    You at 11:55, Oct 29:
    can i not just say i no longer want the service?
    Read
    You at 11:56, Oct 29:
    is that not allowed?
    Read
    i can get free channels on my tv using an irish free to air aerial and satelite dish to get uk free to air channels
    Read
    with those channels i no longer need a sky subscription
    Read
    sky at 11:58, Oct 29:
    of course it is :)
    Now you are aware analogue tv is obsolete? Not sure about in the UK but unless you pay 180+ to get saorview into the home you wont be able to access any of those channels? Now even with the saorview thats only 7 channels.
    Once your sky is gone the signal is cut to the dish so you wont get anyhing into the home.
    You at 11:59, Oct 29:
    you are aware that saorview is digital tv and so is satelite
    Read
    i already have saoview and free to air satelite for uk
    Read
    we were not using sky platform for tv
    Read
    You at 12:00, Oct 29:
    our smart tv has netflix, amazon prime and spotify apps and dinsey plus and youtube
    Read
    You at 12:00, Oct 29:
    we simply do not wish to have the sky q service any more
    Sky
    of course I know saorview is digital. Analogue TV is obsolete, not digital. Now that's perfect at least you'll have some form of entertainment in the home.
    How did you find the services while you had them? You've kept sky for a long time was there anything you enjoyed over the years
    You at 12:04, Oct 29:
    yes sure it was great
    Delivered
    You at 12:05, Oct 29:
    can we now talk about cancellation?
    You at 12:05, Oct 29:
    can we now talk about cancellation?
    Sky at 12:12, Oct 29:
    Brilliant, glad you enjoyed it. How did you find the sky Q? Did you use any of the additional features on it?
    You at 12:12, Oct 29:
    yes we used netflix and disney plus app
    Sky at 12:14, Oct 29:
    fantastic, its good that you were getting the full usage out of it. :)
    now we would have been able to take your package down to 33?
    You at 12:14, Oct 29:
    no i do not want that
    Delivered
    You at 12:14, Oct 29:
    i would like to cancel
    Sky at 12:24, Oct 29:
    No problem at all let me get this done for you now. :) So your services will cancel off with 31 days is this okay?
    Sky at 12:25, Oct 29:
    You are required to return the Sky owned equipment. If you don't return the equipment within 60 days of the service ending a non-return charge may be applied.
    You at 12:29, Oct 29:
    yes brillaint
    Delivered
    You at 12:29, Oct 29:
    can you advice where to send equipment?
    no thats fantastic
    Read
    You at 12:34, Oct 29:
    will i receive an email confirming cancellation??
    Read
    Sky at 12:34, Oct 29:
    you will of course. :)
    Now if thats everything its been a pleasure speaking with you, stay safe and have a wonderful day ��

btw ive been on this chat for 3 hours... i've removed the sky reps name from the chat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

Why are you engaging in a back and forth with them?
    Just say you want to cancel.
    And it's too late now, but on this topic only a few dasy ago someone suggested just lying and saying you were moving to the US.

i could send the whole chat... they basically won't cancel unless i go through this dance...

ok so finally done - started online chat at 9.15... finished 12.34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

ok so finally done - started online chat at 9.15... finished 12.34

Believe it when they stop debiting your account .

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tell them you are moving to Belize and wish to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

called to cancel today, freephone no, answered in 10 mins, off the phone and cancelled full sub 15 mins later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

For the reference of anyone who ends up here...

When you try to cancel a service, you'll be passed to the "Customer Retentions" department. This lot are essentially a sales team, on commission, and will do whatever it takes to keep you with said service provider.

Instead, - if you know you're not interested in a freebie/reduction/etc. (which will often lock you into a further contract term) send a detailed, non-ambiguous message (you'll subsequently have a paper trail to refer back to if necessary) via any of the official company channels (live chat, email, facebook, twitter - whatever is linked to from the official website), along the lines of:

"I hereby serve notice from today, [date] of my wish to cancel my [details of service name, product, variation etc.] contract with [insert account number] at [insert service address]. I explicitly do not wish to be offered any promotions or contract extension. With respect to the notice period of [insert duration days/months], I expect my contractual obligation to be complete effective [today's date + notice period + 1 working day]. Please advise if this is not the case, and confirm receipt of this notice along with an expected final billing date and a case reference. Please forward to the relevant department if necessary.

[insert a friendly sign-off]
    [name on the account]"

Important: take a screenshot! Make a note of EVERY contact, with the date, time and a name. If you don't get a reply within a few days, follow up and refer to the date you initiated the cancellation notice.

This isn't legal advice, but by giving AS MUCH detail as you can, you'll have less reason for anyone to come back to you looking for more info.

When I worked on the e1..0m website, we were told to remove the cancellation phone number... because it made it too easy for customers to cancel their account and there weren't enough people in retentions to handle the calls :rolleyes:

EDIT:
    Feel free to provide honest feedback if you're asked, but don't feel obliged to. Remember, these people have been trained to be your best buddy / ol' pal / marriage material... but also remember, they'd sell their granny for that commission €,€

It is what it's.

^^^^ Many moons ago, worked in a certain computer manufacturer.

Customers called into Tech Support saying they wanted to return their less than 2 week old PC

The tech agent then had to email this customer retention team with full customer details, and their system.

If the customer still decided to return their system....

The customer retention team would

wring the f&$%£* delights out of the poor unfortunate techie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I had a nightmare a few years trying to cancel them. Cancelled in writing, they refused to process the cancellation until one of their "cancellation team" called me back. Insisted on going through a survey about my television viewing habit, how many people were in my household, etc. Insisted they "couldn't" process the cancellation unless I completed the survey, then started getting annoyed with me when I refused to accurately answer the survey qs.
    Ended up repeating that I wanted to cancel for the benefit of the call recording, and hanging up. Followed up a week later to find they hadn't put the cancellation through, had to raise a complaint and escalate it for finally get it cancelled.
    Make sure you stop any direct debit from the appropriate date, you can always pay them any legitimate outstanding balance directly.

I moved house a year later and would have signed up with them again if I hadn't had to go through all their nonsense when cancelling, but I'll never deal with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I said I was moving to Australia then my hubby rang the next week and got new customer contract again. Had to send box back for a new one so it held things up by 2 weeks otherwise worked fine.

Advertisement