Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Renovation

• 29-10-2020 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm doing a full home renovation and wondering if there's anything I should consider to make the house suitable for automation? I'm totally clueless with this stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'd wire the house with Ethernet. Even with the ubiquity and improvements in wifi, having an ethernet backhaul will maximise your speeds and network stability, especially if you're adding smart devices, hubs, etc. Think about your data network as you would about your electrical wiring.

Get your central heating system zoned if it's not already in for more granular control via your choice of smart heating controls (Smart TRVs on all rads is another option).

Remember that smart GU10 bulbs really add up in cost, so factor that in if you're thinking of putting spots everywhere (in situations where you could have 6, 8 or 10 in a room that would usually be served by one pendant light bulb and a couple of lamps).

Advertisement