Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hikvision app won't work after changing broadband provider

Options
  • 29-10-2020 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I recently changed from Virgin Media to Eir and since the switch the Hik-connect app no longer allows me to view my CCTV - each camera shows "offline."

I briefly had broadband from both providers, and switching back to the Virgin router resolved the problem. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app.

I've searched online but can't find an answer for this specific problem - would be very grateful for any pointers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Declan1 wrote: »
    I recently changed from Virgin Media to Eir and since the switch the Hik-connect app no longer allows me to view my CCTV - each camera shows "offline."

I briefly had broadband from both providers, and switching back to the Virgin router resolved the problem. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app.

I've searched online but can't find an answer for this specific problem - would be very grateful for any pointers.

Thanks.

It depends on what was setup.

If the cloud then it should update the setting and allow access.
    If port forwarded then you will need to setup the ports to allow access through the new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

altor wrote: »
    It depends on what was setup.

If the cloud then it should update the setting and allow access.
    If port forwarded then you will need to setup the ports to allow access through the new router.

Thanks

It’s set up to record locally, and hardwired via a power line adaptor. No cloud functionality.

Thanks

It’s set up to record locally, and hardwired via a power line adaptor. No cloud functionality.

It has to be the ports so.
    You will need them configured or you could set up the cloud side of the device.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How does the local box get onto the internet? Is it through the power line adapter? I'm guessing you have a static IP address for the local box, which includes a gateway as part of the address. Your new modem likely has a different up address. I think virgin has 192.168.0.1, while others use 192.168.1.1

You probably need to configure the IP address on the local box.

MarkR wrote: »
    How does the local box get onto the internet? Is it through the power line adapter? I'm guessing you have a static IP address for the local box, which includes a gateway as part of the address. Your new modem likely has a different up address. I think virgin has 192.168.0.1, while others use 192.168.1.1

You probably need to configure the IP address on the local box.

By local box do you mean the CCTV hard drive? It’s connected to the router via a power line adapter. Could you point me towards an idiots’ guide to reconfiguring the ports? Thanks a mil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

First try and get the cameras working on your local network. That does not require any port forwarding. Go onto your WiFi on your phone and get the WiFi info and see what your gateway is. Then go into the DVR to network settings and see if DHCP is enabled. If not then enable it to get a local ip and gateway. Make sure it populates the same gateway your WiFi had. Then with the ip address put that into the app as a new device. Once ya get that working then ya can give it a static ip and look at doing port forwarding on the router. Let us know how that goes and we take it from there.

First try and get the cameras working on your local network. That does not require any port forwarding. Go onto your WiFi on your phone and get the WiFi info and see what your gateway is. Then go into the DVR to network settings and see if DHCP is enabled. If not then enable it to get a local ip and gateway. Make sure it populates the same gateway your WiFi had. Then with the ip address put that into the app as a new device. Once ya get that working then ya can give it a static ip and look at doing port forwarding on the router. Let us know how that goes and we take it from there.

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate the help. Still stumped!

This system was setup by an installer a couple of years ago and we’ve always used the iOS app Hik-Connect to access the cameras. Never accessed the DVR via laptop before.

I downloaded iVMS-4200 software and logged in successfully. I’ve tried connecting my laptop through a HDMI cable through the rear port on the DVR, and also through the USB connection on the front. Unfortunately the laptop doesn’t seem to be actually connecting to the DVR. Under the Device Management tab the recorder is listed. However getting error messages saying “connecting to the device failed. The device is offline or the network timed out.”

Is the iVMS-4200 Software the appropriate Way to login to the device? If so what’s the best way to connect to the DVR?

Thanks again.

Ya need to use a monitor to connect to the DVR if you do not know the ip. If you can look on your router ya might be able to find it’s ip and then access it thru your laptop browser

By local box do you mean the CCTV hard drive? It’s connected to the router via a power line adapter. Could you point me towards an idiots’ guide to reconfiguring the ports? Thanks a mil.

Your cctv hard drive box is connected to a powerline, and that is presumably connected to the modem. The app won't be able to get access to your recordings if the hard drive box is not online.

To get the hard drive box online, the installed would have gone into the configuration page of the hard drive and gave the hard drive box a static ip address. That means the address won't be given to it automatically by the modem, it know's what it's address is, and what the address of the modem is.

The issue may be that the new modem does not have the same address as the old modem. You could fix this in one of two ways. Change the settings on the modem, or change the settings on the hard drive box.

If everything is working bar the hard drive box, I'd lean towards reconfiguring the hard drive box. If you google "change ip address boxname", you should be able to find out how to connect to it.

You want to change it from (something like)
    Ip address 192.168.0.x
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1

The gateway is the address of the VM modem.

You want to change the config to match your current setup. You want to find out what your current ip settings are. You can do that in windows if you right click on your network connect, and choose network and internet settings.
    Then view your network properties, scroll on down until you can see ip addresses. You are looking for one starting with 192.168.

It's probably 192.168.1.something. If that's the case, you need to tell your cctv hard drive that it's new address is something like
    Ip address 192.168.1.x
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

The ip address is up to you, just make sure it's in the correct format (192.168.1.100 would do if it's in that range), and set the gateway up to the be address of the modem. It's either 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.1.254.

See if that makes any sense. I'm no alarm guy by the way, just an IT guy. :D

I'm no alarm guy by the way, just an IT guy. :D

Lets hope he has admin access :D

• Advertisement

Other option, if the change isn't possible on the CCTV side, you could always reconfigure the modem. Just change it to match what Virgin use. Set the modems address to be 192.168.0.1 (instead of 192.168.1.1), and then hopefully your cctv can find it.

If the DVR is set to static ip he needs to access it as the gateway and ip are probably a different subnet hence why he cannot access the cameras.
    A look on the router for connected devices might help him identify the DVR ip but if it’s set on a different subnet it will not pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

My guess is UPNP (plug and play) isn't enabled on the new router to allow you use the cloud option to connect to the DVR. This automatically forwards the ports needed. The DVR most likely requires no changes

If the DVR is set to static ip he needs to access it as the gateway and ip are probably a different subnet hence why he cannot access the cameras.
    A look on the router for connected devices might help him identify the DVR ip but if it’s set on a different subnet it will not pick it up.

Are you sure? He was connecting the DVR to his laptop using a HDMI cable and then he tried USB :) I think he needs someone better than himself to diagnose this!

Possibly true... it’s a 2 min fix if ya know what ya doin, but it’s getting them to that position could take a lifetime thru this forum

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm out of my depth to be honest and will need to get someone with better tech knowledge in to help fix it.

If ya have easy access to the DVR and post some pics I’m sure we could walk ya thru it...

I think the easiest change would be to change the IP range on the virgin media modem. Change it to match eir default settings, and he's up and running.

Default settings for eir is 192.168.1.254.

To change your virgin media settings, try this.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-configure-advanced-settings-on-your-hub#hub3orhub4

I think the easiest change would be to change the IP range on the virgin media modem. Change it to match eir default settings, and he's up and running.

Not if UPNP is disabled! He needs someone who is capable of logging into the router to make sure this is enabled, if it is all other settings can be dynamic

As things stand there's no monitor with the DVR. I'll get that sorted first and see how I get on from there. Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement