Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1970’s bungalow rewire

Options
  • 29-10-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭

As a plumber I understand how hard it can be to guess a price on these jobs. So I understand how rough the price will be. Let’s assume theres existing conduit so all these will be reused and socket/light boxes already in the wall. So, how much to remove the old system and install a new one. It’s a large bungalow, 2500-3000sq ft.
    4 bedrooms, kitchen, utility, sitting rm, living rm, conservatory and hall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Boxes will be wrong wrong heights, and few (if any) conduits will be reusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Risteard81 wrote: »

But the fact it’s a refurb, does that mean the boxes need to be adjusted? It’d make the walls a mess

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    But the fact it’s a refurb, does that mean the boxes need to be adjusted? It’d make the walls a mess

The heights must comply with the current Wiring Rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Risteard81 wrote: »

Sometimes they might be up high , not very often though

Conduits generally not much use for sockets as they're too small and switch heights need to be dropped so no use there either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JimToken wrote: »
    Sometimes they might be up high , not very often though

Conduits generally not much use for sockets as they're too small and switch heights need to be dropped so no use there either

Is there any way around not make a balls of the walls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Im not up to speed on domestic but problem is the conduits sizing and height mostly

Generally you'd be dropping switch heights and raising socket heights

You might be able to adapt the conduits and boxes but you'd probably be looking at methods like the JB method for sockets or the 3-plate method for lighting to use the conduits, which isn't great .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

All new installs must use 3 core and not the twin and earth so existing conduits may be too small even if they are accessible.

All new installs must use 3 core and not the twin and earth so existing conduits may be too small even if they are accessible.
    I presume by "3 core" you are referring to the new I.S. 201-4 Twin & Earth (T&E) cable.

Having (almost) finished rewireing my own 70s bungalow recently,the above is true.
    There is very little to salvage.
    Anyway all the original sockets/switches will be in the wrong place.
    Wrecking the walls isn't too bad,you'll be a plumber and a plasterer by the end!

Advertisement