Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Officer 2021 in the Civil and Public Service (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Daz_ wrote: »
    Are some of the positions only for weeks of Employment ?is there not a minimum term ?

Min term 8 weeks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

Just bear in mind that the contract you get would for a fixed period, ie, weeks and up until now at least once the time is up your out. Consider maintaining your other role is it on hiatus anyway.

I hadn't even thought of that - will definitely bear it in mind. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GalwayGirl2020

Hi All
    I have an interview for the temporary clerical officer 2021 campaign next week. I am alittle nervous. Can anyone offer me any advice? Is the interview all competency based interview? Congrats to all who passed the interview, I hope I will be as lucky. Happy New Year to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

Hi All
    I have an interview for the temporary clerical officer 2021 campaign next week. I am alittle nervous. Can anyone offer me any advice? Is the interview all competency based interview? Congrats to all who passed the interview, I hope I will be as lucky. Happy New Year to you all.

Hi GalwayGirl2020,

I'm also interviewing next week and based on what I've read (on this helpful thread mainly - thanks all), it will be a competency based interview. I'm preparing by coming up with detailed examples for each competency required which are listed in here: https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/Clerical_Officer_Level.pdf

I'm using the STAR Method to help: https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/interviewing/how-to-use-the-star-interview-response-technique

Will also prep a few notes re my strengths and weaknesses, why I want to work in the Public Service, and GDPR (another Boardsie flagged this so going to do a note or two just in case https://youtu.be/j6wwBqfSk-o https://www.dataprotection.ie/

The interview is 20 mins long so I don't think they're going to be interrogating us too much. Regarding nerves, it's natural to be nervous before an interview, just remember that you've got this far already thanks to your results from the tests so you've obviously got something they want:) Hopefully others might have some additional advice/info too. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭I am me123

Just bear in mind that the contract you get would for a fixed period, ie, weeks and up until now at least once the time is up your out. Consider maintaining your other role is it on hiatus anyway.

Yes. One would be very lucky to get their contract extended beyond the timeframe set out in the job offer.

• Advertisement

Is it common for tco contracts not to be extended in most cases anyone know?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I am me123 wrote: »
    Is it common for tco contracts not to be extended in most cases anyone know?

I'd say it's normal for TCO contracts not to be extended. TCOs are brought in for specific purposes. When that has concluded you're out the door. If they need more people they just go back to PAS.

I'd say it's normal for TCO contracts not to be extended. TCOs are brought in for specific purposes. When that has concluded you're out the door. If they need more people they just go back to PAS.

It would make one wonder why people apply for TCO jobs if it is the case more often than not that people dont stand a chance of being kept on for a longer period than is stated in their contract of employment. (ie. 8 weeks/ 12 weeks, etc) Especially when there is the option of applying for the permanent campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

It would make one wonder why people apply for TCO jobs if it is the case more often that not that people dont stand a chance of being kept on for a longer period than is stated in their contract of employment. (ie. 8 weeks/ 12 weeks, etc) Especially when there is the option of applying for the permanent campaign.

You can apply for both, you've nothing to lose by going for TCO. Its unusual I know but I'm currently on a 10 month TCO contract and every day I'm in there I'm so glad I applied

It would make one wonder why people apply for TCO jobs if it is the case more often that not that people dont stand a chance of being kept on for a longer period than is stated in their contract of employment. (ie. 8 weeks/ 12 weeks, etc) Especially when there is the option of applying for the permanent campaign.

Working part of the year suits some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mulligja

Mame18 wrote: »
    I also found out today I passed interview and my
    Order of merit is 298˜‚ which county have you applied for?

Applied for Dublin

You can apply for both, you've nothing to lose by going for TCO. Its unusual I know but I'm currently on a 10 month TCO contract and every day I'm in there I'm so glad I applied

May I ask where did you get placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

First TCO contract I got was 6 months maternity cover, ended up being extended to 10 months. Also its often easier to get a job from a job for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I totally concur with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

100% agree with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

People do it to have some vaguely professional job on their CV when they are starting their careers something other than the job they had in Centa while in college, plus there are people who can't work the full year they are working around family responsibilities or its a stopgap for a year or two while they are waiting for something else.

mariaalice wrote: »
    People do it to have some vaguely professional job on their CV when they are starting their careers something other than the job they had in Centa while in college, plus there are people who can't work the full year they are working around family responsibilities or its a stopgap for a year or two while they are waiting for something else.

A stop gap for 8 weeks you mean surely ?

They can range from 8 weeks to over 3 years.

Seems to be a lot of different opinions about that ! Someone earlier was quite adamant 8 week terms were the most common offers

Seems to be a lot of different opinions about that ! Someone earlier was quite adamant 8 week terms were the most common offers

A lot of them are for 8 weeks but not always. TCOs are used for cover for term timers, maternity/sick leave cover, seasonal spikes in workloads. The length depends on operational need really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

A lot of them are for 8 weeks but not always. TCOs are used for cover for term timers, maternity/sick leave cover, seasonal spikes in workloads. The length depends on operational need really.

I initially got a 6 month contract to cover maternity leave, and then had that extended for another 5.75 months. One has to wonder if the 11.75 months was deliberate so that the Unfair Dismissals Act didn't kick in. Regardless, I loved the job and the people and would have worked there forever. I've had shorter contracts since and it was a case of show up, do the days work, and go home.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

I’ve never heard of anyone yet who has a 3 year TCO contract .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

TCO contracts are also 26 weeks which I've had a few of.

I’ve never heard of anyone yet who has a 3 year TCO contract .

Sorry, should have been clearer. They were rolling shorter contracts that amounted to more than 3 years when added together. The person kept getting contract extensions but they stopped before the 4th year because the service wasn't broken and they'd have to give a contract of indefinite duration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Nobody comments about why someone works a few weeks or months in retail or working for an agency in a financial institution, a temporary clerical officer is no different it's a temporary job.

I know someone who for years worked a series of temporary contracts in the border public services and did not work in the summer due to childcare, it is probably got a lot more regulated these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

Sorry, should have been clearer. They were rolling shorter contracts that amounted to more than 3 years when added together. The person kept getting contract extensions but they stopped before the 4th year because the service wasn't broken and they'd have to give a contract of indefinite duration.

This is a common occurrence in my workplace.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Hi all,

Just a question,

Say you are offered a TCO contract for a minimum number of weeks, and the contract ends and is not renewed , is a person eliminated from participating in further TCO/ CO competitions in the future?
    What are the chances of being reassigned to another department to their original job assignment?
    Thank you.

Hi all,

Just a question,

Say you are offered a TCO contract for a minimum number of weeks, and the contract ends and is not renewed , is a person eliminated from participating in further TCO/ CO competitions in the future?
    What are the chances of being reassigned to another department to their original job assignment?
    Thank you.

No chance of “reassignment “ by the sounds of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Absolutely not. You've had your assignment from THIS panel. Future ones are totally different.

It may depend on your location: If there are few other departments in the area, it may be low. If there are lots of others, your chances are higher.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Just a question,

Thank you.

You can apply for other CO/TCO competitions. You are assigned a department based on who is looking for staff when they reach your number on the panel. I'd say the largest users of TCOs are Revenue and The Department of Social Protection given their size. Another factor that can influence where you go is the civil service make up of your county. Dublin has everything so if you're there you could end up anywhere. If you're somewhere like Tipperary you'll probably end up in Revenue or Social Protection.

Advertisement