Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Officer 2021 in the Civil and Public Service (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

In future try and get one before you leave and also note that letters from HR are useless.

I have no contact with a previous EO/HEO and Revenue will only give out generic statement of employment. So I don't know how I'm going to provide a reference for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dessler

JKerova1 wrote: »
    I have no contact with a previous EO/HEO and Revenue will only give out generic statement of employment. So I don't know how I'm going to provide a reference for that...

Yep, same here. Not sure what to do either. PAS did say they would check with the department themselves so maybe the statement of employment + the name of your HEO will be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Do you still have a copy of your contract?
    Was it emailed to you?

If so, you should have a point of contact that could at least pass on a message to your previous manager, if only to call you back.

As a last resort, if you know their name, i'd ring the office / helpline and ask to speak with the person. They can get the contact details from outlook directory.

P.S: In hindsight, they may not be able to put you through to the person as some are working from home or alternating work patterns so you may need to ask if they would email the person asking to call you back - just say its a HR matter.

Dessler wrote: »
    Yep, same here. Not sure what to do either. PAS did say they would check with the department themselves so maybe the statement of employment + the name of your HEO will be enough?

They clearly state in the information booklet they want references that confirm performance in the role.
    Candidates who have successfully completed a TCO contract/s within the 3 years prior to 9th November 2020 may not be required to undergo a Stage 2 - Interview. Such candidates will, if advanced to Stage 2, instead be required to provide satisfactory references, for the period of the TCO contract/s in question, confirming suitable performance in the role. These references will be verified with the relevant Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Was it emailed to you?

If so, you should have a point of contact that could at least pass on a message to your previous manager, if only to call you back.

As a last resort, if you know their name, i'd ring the office / helpline and ask to speak with the person. They can get the contact details from outlook directory.

I agree with the above, but I would also advise anyone going into a new TCO contract to get a reference before they leave so they don't find themselves in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Was it emailed to you?

P.S: In hindsight, they may not be able to put you through to the person as some are working from home or alternating work patterns so you may need to ask if they would email the person asking to call you back - just say its a HR matter.

The person who sent me my contract in 2019 must have moved on because their email address/phone number is no longer active. I managed to speak to one of my former managers and they just refer it on to HR. So I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Having said that, I did manage to get a TCO contract in 2020 with just a statement from revenue so maybe they will accept that.

The person who sent me my contract in 2019 must have moved on because their email address/phone number is no longer active. I managed to speak to one of my former managers and they just refer it on to HR. So I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Having said that, I did manage to get a TCO contract in 2020 with just a statement from revenue so maybe they will accept that.

I think the difficulty might be that it was for clearance only, but this time is also to skip the interview stage as well.

Hopeful it will do for you but worst case scenario you will need to go through interview again, it won't effect your OOM. You should probably ring or email PAS and to ask them, as you have said they do need to confirm the reference with the department anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Received OOM 140 for Meath, I’m a bit disappointed I thought I would have done better,

Your Score: 2181

Qualifying Score: 1343

Maximum Score: 3203

How likely will I be to get an interview, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Upinthesky, it's a question that may not be answerable, it would depend on how many positions become available throughout the year, I would suggest that 140 shouldn't be too far away from an offer of interview in the new year.

I'm also in Meath, and hope to get called for interview in the new year, I have zero experience in the TCO role/position.

Upinthesky, it's a question that may not be answerable, it would depend on how many positions become available throughout the year, I would suggest that 140 shouldn't be too far away from an offer of interview in the new year.

I'm also in Meath, and hope to get called for interview in the new year, I have zero experience in the TCO role/position.

Please let me know if you receive an interview, what was your oom? Hopefully Meath have a good few vacancies as there is quite a few government buildings around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

OOM is 48...will mention it on the thread if I'm called for interview.

Well done that is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Tell pas that, like with every other campaign hoop their looking for reasons to ditch you and make their job that bit simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dried peanuts

I had 3 prior TCOs and they are still interviewing me. Black mark in the copybook?
    So PAS tell me because my previous TCOs department did their own recruitment, I have to interview this time.

So PAS tell me because my previous TCOs department did their own recruitment, I have to interview this time.

So they want a quick chit chat just in case the department's own recruitment team held you to a higher standard. 😂😂😂

What a kick in the sack. did you apply through the department or through pas that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dried peanuts

3 contracts in a row from same dept, interviewed by them each time, who knows why

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

3 contracts in a row from same dept, interviewed by them each time, who knows why

Passport office? They generally recruit their own TCOs.

By the sound of it, the department ran a separate TCO campaign and you were recruited directly. I would imagine the reason PAS is insisting on the interview is that they have no record of your prior attendance at interview, your performance at interview or the interview process that was followed by that department.

To allow a candidate to skip the interview stage, I assume they need something on their file so they can standover the decision. It's a bit disappointing I would imagine when they didn't specify on the booklet that only PAS recruited TCO contracts would count.

Are the results out for TCO 2021 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

I did an interview last year and was placed on a panal after an interview. I am working part time with the CSO now and it is a lovely job and they are lovely to work for. I am paid for 27 hours.

By the sound of it, the department ran a separate TCO campaign and you were recruited directly. I would imagine the reason PAS is insisting on the interview is that they have no record of your prior attendance at interview, your performance at interview or the interview process that was followed by that department.

To allow a candidate to skip the interview stage, I assume they need something on their file so they can standover the decision. It's a bit disappointing I would imagine when they didn't specify on the booklet that only PAS recruited TCO contracts would count.

If they have no records of this person as you said, probably right, then that does mean that they do keep records of tco postings and therefore they do not need letters from candidates establishing this.

Two follow up questions arising from that statement.
    1 why are they so militant about references from other tco contracts.
    2 if it is just the standard backside covering exercise would my previous manager be held accountable if I turned out to be a complete gob****e.

Hi I have been placed 254 OOM in Clare what do you think would be my chances? I have put down I am available all year round and finally does anyone know how many did the competition in Co.Clare? Thank you Annie

If they have no records of this person as you said, probably right, then that does mean that they do keep records of tco postings and therefore they do not need letters from candidates establishing this.

Two follow up questions arising from that statement.
    1 why are they so militant about references from other tco contracts.
    2 if it is just the standard backside covering exercise would my previous manager be held accountable if I turned out to be a complete gob****e.

Of course they keep records about candidates, compaigns and those asigned to departments. They have a data retention policy and some records have to go to the national archive after they're finished with them.

The reference letters confirms satisfactory performance in the role after the person was initially appointed - I would argue and agree this is something that PAS should be able to collect directly from the departments/peoplepoint particularly at contract end but unfortunately at present they don't.

Like anything, a reference is specific to a period of time. If you weren't a gob****e at the time, I dont see how they could been 'held accountable' if you are at a leter date.

Threads merged by Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ahem123

Is thread continuing? If so can I have the link? Thanks

Ahem123 wrote: »
    Is thread continuing? If so can I have the link? Thanks

Yeah is it, my comment above was originally posted on a different thread but the mod merged that thread into this thread. I cleared the comment text because it wouldn't have made sense after the merge.

You will likely be among the first batch to be called in the coming days.

For anyone wondering,

I've been told PAS have only called 4/5 counties to stage 2 (Interviews) so far and its likely that other counties won't be called until January.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Hi My OOM is 52 in Meath so you should be ahead of me for interview. Dont forget to let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Been invited to interview 21st Jan

Anyone any tips as to what to expect?

Advertisement