Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes are no longer essential

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Maybe I just wasn’t listening but I had no idea that the retail part of Dunnes or Tesco was to close ? I dont think many did actually

By the way a bit of a change today in my local Dunnes . They have cordoned off a lot of the clothes but open up the baby essentials clothes , night wear , hats and scarves underwear and socks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Quick question.
    During the last lockdown the government didn’t close off clothing department in shops.
    Did they announce they were going to do this time around to allow people to prepare?

It’s also great for those who’ve the money at a flash to go out and buy what they need for the next six weeks.
    Not so great if you were waiting for your Children’s allowance to get a few bits in Penney’s on the first Tuesday of November.
    Children's clothes are really cheap plus they (apparently) grow so fast in Ireland they will only get two wears out of then anyway so enduring fabrics and the likes are clearly not a concern. Opening up Penney's would be disastrous, there'd be more of a surge for fluffy socks, grownup harry potter pjs, lingerie, leggings and homeware than there'd be for kids clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wolly hats are not essential. Perfect way to not get a cold and think you may have covid and get a test which will end up being a waste of time to the individual and the health service.
    Colds are caused by the cold virus, and not lower temperatures. We have known this for long enough for me to suspect that anyone who claims otherwise at this stage is being wilfully stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Floppybits wrote: »
    Clothes are no longer essential.

Go nude and let your bits hang out ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Quick question.
    During the last lockdown the government didn’t close off clothing department in shops.
    Did they announce they were going to do this time around to allow people to prepare?

It’s also great for those who’ve the money at a flash to go out and buy what they need for the next six weeks.
    Not so great if you were waiting for your Children’s allowance to get a few bits in Penney’s on the first Tuesday of November.

Yeah, because September/October in Ireland is known for its toasty, shorts and bikini weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wolly hats are not essential. Perfect way to not get a cold and think you may have covid and get a test which will end up being a waste of time to the individual and the health service.

Do folk not knit these days? A hat is fast and easy.

The thread title maybe needs to be " NEW clothes are not essential" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most people have plenty of clothing to wear,
    The government is simply closing down anyplace
    that does not sell food or hardware or medicine
    In order to control covid
    It's nuthing to do with people going nude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Graces7 wrote: »

Apparently some people are unable to figure out how phones and bank cards work so knitting would be like rocket science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Quick question.

Well I'd argue September's children's allowance should have been used to buy a warm coat, expecting a child to wear summer clothes up to November in Ireland is neglect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well I'd argue September's children's allowance should have been used to buy a warm coat, expecting a child to wear summer clothes up to November in Ireland is neglect!

I really understand where you are coming from now!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Maybe I just wasn’t listening but I had no idea that the retail part of Dunnes or Tesco was to close ? I dont think many did actually

By the way a bit of a change today in my local Dunnes . They have cordoned off a lot of the clothes but open up the baby essentials clothes , night wear , hats and scarves underwear and socks

My Dunnes closed the drapery section last lockdown. Its upstairs so easy to do. They have always had a few foot in the grocery section for "socks n jocks" for adults and children.

My dad has a few hospital appointments coming up. He isn't one for dressing gown and slippers. Thankfully I managed to get him both before this lockdown.

My dad has a few hospital appointments coming up. He isn't one for dressing gown and slippers. Thankfully I managed to get him both before this lockdown.

Why does a man your fathers age not know what size he is?

2 items that could easily be bought online unless you are one of these Irish Amish we are hearing so much about

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Why does a man your fathers age not know what size he is?

2 items that could easily be bought online unless you are one of these Irish Amish we are hearing so much about

My dad is 78 with age related cognitive decline. He doesn't have a bank account and would be unable to navigate the Internet. Your post has reminded me though that I could buy what he needs online and wouldn't actually need to go in to Dunnes of Marks.

My dad is 78 with age related cognitive decline. He doesn't have a bank account and would be unable to navigate the Internet. Your post has reminded me though that I could buy what he needs online and wouldn't actually need to go in to Dunnes of Marks.

I didn't say your dad needed to buy them as you clearly said you bought them for him first time.

But ya definitely something you could buy for him online tomorrow if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Graces7 wrote: »

Consumer society by design, fact of life, a lot of people are helpless - fact.

The minister said 'Clothes are not essential' - they didn't specify new or otherwise.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Is there any homeware places open? I need pillows

Beanybabog wrote: »

Homestore and more are open for essentials.....I don't know if a pillow is classified as essential. You can order them online though, or maybe arnotts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Homestore and more are open for essentials.....I don't know if a pillow is classified as essential. You can order them online though, or maybe arnotts?

Yeah I can, unfortunately the husband had the covid and I just washed all the sheets duvets and his pillows- and turned out they were not suitable
    For the washing machine...
    I wouldn’t have classified a pillow as essential until right now!

Yeah I can, unfortunately the husband had the covid and I just washed all the sheets duvets and his pillows- and turned out they were not suitable
    For the washing machine...
    I wouldn’t have classified a pillow as essential until right now!

I wasn't being smart, I genuinely don't know what they consider essential and what they don't. Their Christmas decorations have online only ( that's kinda a no brainer) whereas pillows show in store stock, so you could chance it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Try The Range if you live near one. They've decorations, etc everything left open from what I'm told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Tesco had clothes closed off but Dealz is open selling all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Went to woodies this evening needed a plunger as the sink blocked up. It was a pretty sad sight. They'd basically all the Christmas stock out but cordoned off, and then a row of pillows and blankets (which I don't recall them selling before) and then the rest of the shop was normal from what I could gather. Place was empty anyway. But I couldn't help thinking... You could go and buy a toy for your dog, birthday balloons and a fake plant for your kitchen, but all the Christmas things were out of bounds. It just seemed a bit... arbitrary or something? I don't know, just seemed like a daft setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dunnes are doing click and collect now for their clothes and homeware

Advertisement