Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop recommendation/help please

• 30-10-2020 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi, I'm on the lookout for a new laptop for a teenager and would be grateful for any suggestions. It will be used for school work, as well as Netflix, youtube etc. She also has a graphics tablet connected to it, so it will need to run things like Autodesk and Medibang. In terms of games, she plays the Sims 4 and sometimes Minecraft, but that's about it.

I'm trying to spend as little as possible as I'm replacing a less than 3 yrs old laptop that has started giving trouble with the network adapter. Would prefer to buy in Ireland or the UK, in case there are any issues that involve posting back, don't want to be sending overseas, etc. Looking for a 15inch screen as that's what she has at the moment. (Current specs are i5-8250u, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, so would like to keep similar if possible)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

if you mean wifi by network adapter why not just buy a cheap wifi usd dongle
    you just attach in and disable the existing one in device manager would most likely fix it
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3389780/Trail/searchtext%3EWI-FI+ADAPTER.htm

or same one on amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-T2U-Wireless-Supports-10-7-10-13/dp/B00K11UIV4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=YTGK5VP67TID&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+usb+tp+link&qid=1604064089&sprefix=wifi+usb+tp%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-5

also there is a spinning HDD in that laptop which is really slowing it down
    replacing that with an SSD would make the whole laptop way way faster
    Should not be using a HDD for a primary drive in 2020.
    this is a link to replace the existing 2.5inch drive but if you research your laptop and it has an m.2 slot (research the exact model) you could but an m.2 sata ssd to run just window off. it's a simple enough job to replace this and even easier in the case of m.2 as you can just leave the existing drive in

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT480BX500SSD1Z-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B07G3KRVWP/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=500gb+2.5+inch+ssd&qid=1604064250&sr=8-17

the cpu is OK so no need to get a new laptop

if you are intent on a new laptop this 15 inch one is a lot more powerful that what you currently have and includes a graphics card which will be useful for running autodesk etc more smoothly

£599. from UK but they deliver directly to Ireland

temporary sale deal

comes without windows (just download from microsoft for free and install from usb key ). buy a licence key from ebay (not actually neeeded - only impact is watermark on bottom right of screen)

https://www.box.co.uk/FA506IH-BQ027-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-A15-FA506IH-BQ027-(NO-OP_2913034.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

That asus is a nice laptop, I'd be half tempted by it, would like 1440 screen ideally though, I like the extra screen real estate for productivity.

Op if sole reason for replacing is network issue I'd try fixing that first, would be far cheaper and could be easy fix.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    That asus is a nice laptop, I'd be half tempted by it, would like 1440 screen ideally though, I like the extra screen real estate for productivity.

Op if sole reason for replacing is network issue I'd try fixing that first, would be far cheaper and could be easy fix.

lol you're a tad unrealistic for 600 pounds

it's a great deal

besides 1440p is a very uncommon laptop screen panel to have

normally goes from 1080p to 4k or UHD directly and then only for 1600 £ + gaming laptops

can always buy a monitor to have 2 screens

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

glasso wrote: »

Yes it keeps dropping the wifi, and says no networks are available. You go through the troubleshooting steps and it can't find any issues but still can't find a network. Most of the time a reboot sorts it, but lately it's happening again 20 mins after you reboot, so you could spend half the day restarting.

I'll sound stupid now, but I didn't realise those little dongles could be used in place of the existing adapter, so that sounds like a solution to my problem. If I can get away without replacing the laptop that's the ideal solution, because other than this issue it's running ok. Will look into the SSD drive also. Thanks for the links and your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You can also replace the actual wifi module in the laptop, though it is a bit more effort than just the usb dongle. Here in one on amazon, though you would need to check for your laptop model to be sure compatible.
    glasso wrote: »
    lol you're a tad unrealistic for 600 pounds
    it's a great deal
    besides 1440p is a very uncommon laptop screen panel to have
    normally goes from 1080p to 4k or UHD directly and then only for 1600 £ + gaming laptops
    can always buy a monitor to have 2 screens

I'd be happy to pay a bit more but there seems to be a massive jump once you go above 1080, like need to spend 1500, which doesn't make sense to me.
    I don't know why its not more common, to me 4k is wasted on small screen, where as 1440 on a 15 inch gives actual usable extra workspace. My current thinkpad has it and I quite like it but wouldn't mind upgrade in terms of other specs.
    Have desktop setup with a 4k, laptop is just for sitting on sofa.

yes that's what outlined re the pricing

there are literally only a few gaming laptops with 1440p screens and across laptops in general 1440p is not common at all

outside monitors you don't really find that resolution anywhere really though - from phones to tablets to laptops etc

Advertisement