Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Comments

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ewan Mackenna was actually providing a worthwhile service by being so anti establishment and constantly pushing back on the status quo. That's always going to piss people off but I found him good value in the world of backslapping official Ireland endorsed journalists.

Its a shame to see him fall off the deep end over covid. His second last podcast from November where he argued with the cancer patient over covid restrictions is an example of him getting everything wrong, yet if you followed him on twitter you'd swear he was a covid nostradameus who had it all figured out from day 1.

Ewan MacKenna is an unemployable crank and conspiracy theorist operating in the same sphere as Paddy Cosgrave. His Dunphy-Lite thing was never much good to be honest, and that’s why he was a sports journalist. He now has an enormous chip on his shoulder and likes to blame ‘the establishment’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

For me it's Fintan O'Toole as all he does in his writing is state the obvious. Who do you think is Ireland's worst journalist?

Personally, I would tax journalists at 110%, and they would have to contribute €1000 to charity for every article written by them.

Journalists are nasty scum who profit from the pain and suffering of others and often cause more pain and suffering because of their articles.

War journalists though - they deserve to be shot. Which they often are.

Sorry for the rant, it's a subject I have strong views of. There is no such thing as integrity or morality in journalism or in the media in general. They push agendas, destroy whole countries... and they laugh while doing it.

While I have no time for any politicians, they are saints compared to journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The Sindo is the biggest pile of garbage to masquerade as a serious newspaper in this country. They ran what amounted to a campaign of harassment against John Hume, you had this pillock and Eoghan Harris rimming Bertie every week. Terry Keanes Keane edge which she didn't even write as it turned out. Nowadays it's just obsessed with Z list celebrities.

That clown O'Connor was calling to "Bring Back Bertie" in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Smee_Again wrote: »
    No true Kerryman, eh?

Because of what it stood for. Every community has these... degenerates, frankly.

In Kilkenny, for example, many years ago, Lavinia Kerwick faced intense pressure to withdraw her claim of sexual assault. She didn't, she took it to court, and despite getting a conviction, he walked free.
    Do you tar the people of Kilkenny with the same brush?

Brian Davey committed rape in Co. Down. Even after his conviction, families rallied round him to help him 'rebuild his life'... despite the fact he was on dating apps to try and find another victim.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/convicted-rapist-brian-davey-banned-21971039

Idiots exist everywhere-but they're not representative of an entire county, or country.

Ewan Mackenna was actually providing a worthwhile service by being so anti establishment and constantly pushing back on the status quo. That's always going to piss people off but I found him good value in the world of backslapping official Ireland endorsed journalists.

Its a shame to see him fall off the deep end over covid. His second last podcast from November where he argued with the cancer patient over covid restrictions is an example of him getting everything wrong, yet if you followed him on twitter you'd swear he was a covid nostradameus who had it all figured out from day 1.

A poor man's Eamon Dunphy without the soccer knowledge.

Louise O'Neill calmed down a bit, once she got herself a man.

Allegedly got hit with a Legal Writ over comments she made on Twitter about an alleged, serious sexual battery allegation that implicated a well-known music/cultural journalist.

She made a half-hearted grovelling apology, cleaned up her Twitter, and then disappeared from posting.

That clown O'Connor was calling to "Bring Back Bertie" in 2010.

Someone posted an article from Magill in another thread...

O'Connor was the guy using the 'N' word, as well as other insensitive remarks regarding travellers (The 'Kn**ker' word) and then tried to start a fight in the middle of the street with protesters.
    (I can't remember what that protest was over.... I want to say 'End Capitalism' or similar... but doubt it).
    Allegedly got hit with a Legal Writ over comments she made on Twitter about an alleged, serious sexual battery allegation that implicated a well-known music/cultural journalist.

She made a half-hearted grovelling apology, cleaned up her Twitter, and then disappeared from posting.

Yeah... she dun messed up there. Surprised the UCD 200 folks didn't sue her as well.

Here's the thing about character references for rapists. If you're good looking you'll be popular and the community will rally around you and maybe even turn on your 'victim'.

If you're ugly or a low status immigrant, then the community will turn on you.

Life is all about looks and there is a brutal hierarchy out there.

Like that Traveller family, who's father raped every single daughter... their cries fell on deaf ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Here's the thing about character references for rapists. If you're good looking you'll be popular and the community will rally around you and maybe even turn on your 'victim'.

If you're ugly or a low status immigrant, then the community will turn on you.

It’s a strange one alright, although not that surprisingly.

If the perpetrator is whyte male you hear all the cries of ‘liar’, ‘attention seeker’, ‘regret isn’t rape’, ‘look at what she was wearing’ from the “usual suspects” but if it’s a case where the prep is a black, or Arab, man the cries are all about ‘protect our womxn!’ and ‘send them all back!’.

It’s a ridiculous double standard.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Someone pointed out, about ten years or so ago, how the IRish media had this disturbing undercurrent of racism to stories on certain topics.
    Like, if you watched a piece on RTE news about overcrowing in schools, with full classrooms, it would cut to the footage of children who were not white, or who's parents were not originally from IReland.

Now there's almost a 'fear' of discussing anyone with a different skin colour, outside of 'ye're all racist'. Which, I'd argue, is inherently racist itsself. IF you only see an individual for the colour of their skin, you're not seeing the person as a whole.

Even the term 'People of Colour' is just another way to say 'Coloured people'... the latter is something that is completely frowned upon now... but you change the order of words, and you confuse people.

Please do not write 'whyte' or any variation the 'W' word. Forcing POC to read that word is an act of violence.

Consider using 'w*ite' in the future.

Is violence performative though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Ian O' Doherty or Brendan O' Connor. Hard to pick. Both stealing a living and neither of them ever have anything remotely interesting to say.

Doherty's work is an endless whine about the woke culture wars and BoC is an endless account of a Cork mucksavage who's trying to deal with his refined life in the big schmoke and keeping his waistline in check because he loves to ate Tayto and biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

The retired Garda sergeant is his father.

The GAA club have apologized for the comments made, saying they were done by an individual, not representing the club. But we know that the GAA has a complete arrogance and entitlement issue.

Just look at the Dublin GAA team who didn't care about the welfare of others when they went training during Covid lockdown.
    No masks, no social distancing.

Huh? Are you really comparing minor Covid breaches to defending a rapist? I am definitely no fan of the GAA by the way and agree they are a law unto themselves

Language evoles. You probably don't call people of different abilities 'r*tards' anymore, for example.

Learning social justice is like learning an instrument or a foreign language, it's a lifelong process. No one expects you to be perfect all the time. There are occasions when you will make mistakes, when you will struggle with key concepts. That's fine.

But you ARE expected to examine your privilege and to challenge w*ite supremacy.

Except, a lot of activists online won't accept that and will, effectively, bury you for making said mistakes.
    The problem with the Social Justice movement is that there is no forgiveness. Only banishment.

Huh? Are you really comparing minor Covid breaches to defending a rapist? I am definitely no fan of the GAA by the way and agree they are a law unto themselves

Nope, moreso comparing arrogance to arrogance.

You could argue they don't respect women either, as that club that hired strippers proved a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Someone posted an article from Magill in another thread...

O'Connor was the guy using the 'N' word, as well as other insensitive remarks regarding travellers (The 'Kn**ker' word) and then tried to start a fight in the middle of the street with protesters.
    (I can't remember what that protest was over.... I want to say 'End Capitalism' or similar... but doubt it).

Yeah... she dun messed up there. Surprised the UCD 200 folks didn't sue her as well.

Does any remember Una Mullallys undercover gaydar expose just before gay rights came to the fore? A properly nasty article.

Does any remember Una Mullallys undercover gaydar expose just before gay rights came to the fore? A properly nasty article.

They took it down-I think she was working for the daily Tribune at the time.

But it's summarised.

http://tribune.ie/archive/article/2007/mar/04/open-season-on-irish-teens/

Aparently she was trying to 'goad' them into saying awful stuff. Alleged there was a sex ring going on, when these fellows didn't know each other.

It was very scurrilous too.

You can find some people's accounts (of the article, not the gay hookups) on other sites.

Wouldn't surprise me about Mullaly. She seems very disturbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They took it down-I think she was working for the daily Tribune at the time.

But it's summarised.

http://tribune.ie/archive/article/2007/mar/04/open-season-on-irish-teens/

Aparently she was trying to 'goad' them into saying awful stuff. Alleged there was a sex ring going on, when these fellows didn't know each other.

It was very scurrilous too.

You can find some people's accounts (of the article, not the gay hookups) on other sites.

Wouldn't surprise me about Mullaly. She seems very disturbed.

What were the explanations from the other people for contacting a fifteen year old for sex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Surprised the UCD 200 folks didn't sue her as well.

From a purely philosophical point of view, that would've been a very interesting case. A member of a Facebook group that didn't exist suing a journalist for suggesting that it did exist.

What were the explanations from the other people for contacting a fifteen year old for sex?

The allegations were that they had been told the account known as 'Davey', or the person running it, had claimed to be 19.
    Since the article, and account, no longer exist, it's hard to know for sure.
    .anon. wrote: »
    From a purely philosophical point of view, that would've been a very interesting case. A member of a Facebook group that didn't exist suing a journalist for suggesting that it did exist.

Moreso damning an entire institute (and members of a group) for allegedly engaging in misogynist behaviour...which a thorough investigation disproved.
    (There was a facebook group-it was just very open and not private).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Wasnt the same article where she said some bizarre speculative stuff about her grandfather and something about screaming for days?

Wasnt the same article where she said some bizarre speculative stuff about her grandfather and something about screaming for days?

Yup.

She also used the Paddy Jackson (and co) rugby rape trial to promote her book.

She's evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The allegations were that they had been told the account known as 'Davey', or the person running it, had claimed to be 19.
    Since the article, and account, no longer exist, it's hard to know for sure.

The dog ate my homework.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That was the one. When I read it first I assumed the author was an angst filled teen girl as can happen, that somehow got the ear of an editor looking to get more of the youth market, but nope, she was in her early 30's.

I dunno if she's a journalist as such though, more a writer and one that's written a couple of books that were apparently well received so fair enough. The journalism side is for the Sunday supplement "lifestyle" sections aimed at suburban ladies of a certain age and whinge, who have too many cushions, feature walls and racks of candles that can never be lit. If you want shíte "journalism" those sections are the mother lode.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If the perpetrator is whyte male you hear all the cries of ‘liar’, ‘attention seeker’, ‘regret isn’t rape’, ‘look at what she was wearing’ from the “usual suspects” but if it’s a case where the prep is a black, or Arab, man the cries are all about ‘protect our womxn!’ and ‘send them all back!’.
    Dear lord, please tell me those highlighted words are firmly tongue in cheek?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20108061.html

“Danny Foley, of Meen, Listowel, sat in the dock at the Circuit Criminal Court, in Tralee, yesterday, awaiting sentence for sexually assaulting a woman, having been found guilty by a jury almost two weeks ago.

A group of 50 people, mainly men and said to be neighbours and friends, trooped into the courtroom and marched up to the accused, in single file. Each man shook his hand – some hugged him warmly, with tears in their eyes. It was witnessed by the 24-year-old victim who cut a lonely figure in the front seat of the public gallery.”

-Edited to include excerpt for those who didn’t want to click the link.

That was more about rural clanishness than anything else, a local is never in the wrong when something happens involving a " blow in "

The victim in that case was a " blow in "

Am extreme example of clanishness rather than misogyny

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭blackvalley

By pure aggressive tone of voice:: I could not stand Vincent Brown. And now it's Matt Cooper.. I did and do not like how they operate.

So you do not like the way they insist on people being interviewed answering the question they asked instead of waffling on . :confused:

Ireland worst journalist is Philip o Connor who is a free lancer based in Sweden

Biggest wanker on twitter, blocks anyone who isn't super WOKE like he is, constantly asking why RTE won't give him a job talking about the "far right " threat in Ireland, claims he has written to the RTE General director several times yet she doesn't reply.

Unfortunately for him the queue of fundamentalist WOKEsters in journalism who want a well paid tax funded gig at the national broadcaster is as long as the dole queue in Rathkeale

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That was more about rural clanishness than anything else, a local is never in the wrong when something happens involving a " blow in "

A mealy-mouthed reply.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any that work for An Phoblacht

• Advertisement

A mealy-mouthed reply.

i completely condemn what happened , im saying the reason they did what they did stemmed more from clanishness.

in much of rural ireland , a blow in is always always in the wrong if involved in a negative situation with a local .

this was an extreme example of that

You summed it up pretty darn well, tbh.
    Better than I could.

i completely condemn what happened , im saying the reason they did what they did stemmed more from clanishness.

in much of rural ireland , a blow in is always always in the wrong if involved in a negative situation with a local .

this was an extreme example of that

So if the victim had been “one of their own” they wouldn’t have queued up, some with tears in their eyes, to shake hands and hug the attacker?

I know you’ve said you don’t “condone” what happened but explaining away the support shown to the perpetrator, by a large number of men from the area, doesn’t sound great.

Borders on excusing. Which I’m sure you didn’t mean.

So if the victim had been “one of their own” they wouldn’t have queued up, some with tears in their eyes, to shake hands and hug the attacker?

I know you’ve said you don’t “condone” what happened but explaining away the support shown to the perpetrator, by a large number of men from the area, doesn’t sound great.

I didn't read it as excusing.

Have you heard the Philip Zimbardo phrase 'It's Understandable, not Forgivable?'. (Zimbardo is the guy known for the Stanford Prison experiment, the one that went beyond even what he expected might happen.)

He used it to explain serious atrocities through out history, as in 'how could this have happened?', and helping folks understand what would lead up to that event.

It was in no way excusing the events-it was merely explaining how those circumstances occurred.
    Again, 'Understandable, not Forgivable'.

I didn't read it as excusing.

Have you heard the Philip Zimbardo phrase 'It's Understandable, not Forgivable?'. (Zimbardo is the guy known for the Stanford Prison experiment, the one that went beyond even what he expected might happen.)

He used it to explain serious atrocities through out history, as in 'how could this have happened?', and helping folks understand what would lead up to that event.

It was in no way excusing the events-it was merely explaining how those circumstances occurred.
    Again, 'Understandable, not Forgivable'.

I’m aware of the prison “experiment”, it’s the one where yer man told the guards to go extra hard on the “prisons” and it was riddled with other questionable methodologies.

I don’t get how it’s “understandable”, at all. A large number of local men queuing up to shake hands, and hug, a sex offender, some with tears in their eyes, isn’t really understandable, or forgivable.

Paul williams

Utterly detestable person,who operates as effectively a PRO for the gaurds

Hugh jordan....implicated in several sketcy sh1t for a scoop.....always felt his/sunday world publishing denis donaldson location was utterly immoral

I’m aware of the prison “experiment”, it’s the one where yer man told the guards to go extra hard on the “prisons” and it was riddled with other questionable methodologies.

I don’t get how it’s “understandable”, at all. A large number of local men queuing up to shake hands, and hug, a sex offender, some with tears in their eyes, isn’t really understandable, or forgivable.

Because in their eyes he was an innocent man, wrongly jailed for a crime he didn't commit.. the reasons there were 'tears in their eyes' was because they believed his lies. (And there were women there too, so it shows you how conniving that individual was). I believe he was just as guilty as the court did.

You know the stuff where people testified he'd been a 'honest individual, always helpful to the gardai?' Balderdash. He was a nuisance, and often a hindrance, as the gardai later stated. Often lied to em to hide some of the crud he was getting up to.
    Many people knew him as a complete douche, and his job as a doorman meant people went to other nightclubs because of him.
    They just didn't think he would assault a woman, but then again, many of us often don't.

Did you see the documentaries about the Nxium cult? Their leader was convicted of multiple rapes, assaults, sex trafficking etc etc.
    He's in jail gonna stay there for life... yet there are people who camp out outside the jail he's in, holding vigils, thinking he's as innocent as a newborn.
    This despite multiple women (and children, young girls) stating he sexually assaulted and groomed them. Brainwashed them.
    But they think he's innocent.

honestly i do not know how you can take that from my post

what happened in that courtroom was a disgrace .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Because in their eyes he was an innocent man, wrongly jailed for a crime he didn't commit.. the reasons there were 'tears in their eyes' was because they believed his lies. (And there were women there too, so it shows you how conniving that individual was). I believe he was just as guilty as the court did.

You know the stuff where people testified he'd been a 'honest individual, always helpful to the gardai?' Balderdash. He was a nuisance, and often a hindrance, as the gardai later stated. Often lied to em to hide some of the crud he was getting up to.
    Many people knew him as a complete douche, and his job as a doorman meant people went to other nightclubs because of him.
    They just didn't think he would assault a woman, but then again, many of us often don't.

Did you see the documentaries about the Nxium cult? Their leader was convicted of multiple rapes, assaults, sex trafficking etc etc.
    He's in jail gonna stay there for life... yet there are people who camp out outside the jail he's in, holding vigils, thinking he's as innocent as a newborn.
    This despite multiple women (and children, young girls) stating he sexually assaulted and groomed them. Brainwashed them.
    But they think he's innocent.
    Same with Warren Jeffs of the fundamentalist LDS Church (Mormon) - convicted child rapist piece of ****... yet a bunch of followers (male and female) who think he could not possibly be guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Sorcha Polack..

Although calling her a journalist is stretching the limits of credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Vincent Kearney pushing for the title the last couple of nights,

Joe Duffy.

€400k for position that once paid an offensive fraction of that, to connect callers to one another on a telephone exchange.

I know the producers do good work in screening the most promising callers, but good jesus.

Joe Duffy.

€400k for position that once paid an offensive fraction of that, to connect callers to one another on a telephone exchange.

I know the producers do good work in screening the most promising callers, but good jesus.

I'd rather 'pop out' ingrown toenails than listen to Joe Duffy, but isn't he one of the top earners who bring in way more in advertising and sponsorship than they cost? A net earner for RTE?

I'd rather 'pop out' ingrown toenails than listen to Joe Duffy, but isn't he one of the top earners who bring in way more in advertising and sponsorship than they cost? A net earner for RTE?
    RTE generates about half its income from advertising, and radio ads are only a tiny fraction of that income. Radio saves money elsewhere, but short answer is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Paul williams

Utterly detestable person,who operates as effectively a PRO for the gaurds
    Williams would be one. I think the likes of Jim Cusack, Eoghan Harris are deplorable as columnists. Some of their articles stretch the imagination to the outright bizarre

• Advertisement

Joe Duffy.

I think, personally, the big “problem” with RTÉ is that they shell out huge money for people in time slots where the majority of their listeners don’t really care about who’s in the “chair”.

Granted, you couldn’t stick someone terrible in there but they really don’t need Duffy. People, especially, “down the country” have the radio on in the kitchen, maybe in the living room too, on all day and, possibly, all night.

These people will never “move the dial”. The radio will be turned off when their children, or relatives, are clearing out their house after they’ve died.

“Poaching” Ray D’Arcy from Today FM was a dreadful move. Completely unnecessary. He’d become a tired, humourless, unfunny bore who seemed to feed off the misery of his guests. I guess that’s what RTÉ want, as it seems to be all that the anti ‘Late Late Show’ brigade seem to be bleating about.

You could swap out Tubridy, Duffy and D’Arcy with “stand ins” for weeks on end and it wouldn’t matter one jot to the ratings of RTÉ Radio 1’s listening figures. Time is the only thing that’s going to change that.

I think, personally, the big “problem” with RTÉ is that they shell out huge money for people in time slots where the majority of their listeners don’t really care about who’s in the “chair”.

Granted, you couldn’t stick someone terrible in there but they really don’t need Duffy. People, especially, “down the country” have the radio on in the kitchen, maybe in the living room too, on all day and, possibly, all night.

These people will never “move the dial”. The radio will be turned off when their children, or relatives, are clearing out their house after they’ve died.

“Poaching” Ray D’Arcy from Today FM was a dreadful move. Completely unnecessary. He’d become a tired, humourless, unfunny bore who seemed to feed off the misery of his guests. I guess that’s what RTÉ want, as it seems to be all that the anti ‘Late Late Show’ brigade seem to be bleating about.

You could swap out Tubridy, Duffy and D’Arcy with “stand ins” for weeks on end and it wouldn’t matter one jot to the ratings of RTÉ Radio 1’s listening figures. Time is the only thing that’s going to change that.

Have often wondered whether the statisticians who measure the ratings ever check whether ratings dip when certain broadcasters (not just in radio, but in general, like) dip when there are stand-ins. I really couldn't care less whether David McCullough is reading the news or Ray Kennedy. Nobody cares.

Have often wondered whether the statisticians who measure the ratings ever check whether ratings dip when certain broadcasters (not just in radio, but in general, like) dip when there are stand-ins. I really couldn't care less whether David McCullough is reading the news or Ray Kennedy. Nobody cares.

RTÉ Radio 1 should still have a healthy baseline throughout their shows. The sad thing about RTÉ is that their evening shows are really good.

I, personally, never mind when Jonathan Healy sits in for Pat Kenny. The listenership may even increase as a few people seem to really dislike him, think he’s seen as too “WOKE”(all caps) so the lads get the notepads out and have the listenback function ready to go over again.

However, when Tom Dunne is on instead of Moncrieff I’ve no problem turning off. He’s a nice guy but it’s just not the same “show”. Not sure who could take over if Moncrieff ever left.

But, then again, I’m not in my 70s living in some remote part of Offaly so “switching off”, or over to another station, is easily done.

RTÉ Radio 1 should still have a healthy baseline throughout their shows. The sad thing about RTÉ is that their evening shows are really good.

I, personally, never mind when Jonathan Healy sits in for Pat Kenny. The listenership may even increase as a few people seem to really dislike him, think he’s seen as too “WOKE”(all caps) so the lads get the notepads out and have the listenback function ready to go over again.

However, when Tom Dunne is on instead of Moncrieff I’ve no problem turning off. He’s a nice guy but it’s just not the same “show”. Not sure who could take over if Moncrieff ever left.

But, then again, I’m not in my 70s living in some remote part of Offaly so “switching off”, or over to another station, is easily done.

Can we all form an entente cordiale, and agree that John Creedon's radio show is one of the best things that RTÉ has ever put on air?

Can we all form an entente cordiale, and agree that John Creedon's radio show is one of the best things that RTÉ has ever put on air?

That's probably the one programme where a stand-in does lead to a national existential collapse. Wonderful broadcaster.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement