Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Killian Woods in the SBP, the only journo they have that i don't like. He masks his own political opinions as news, and has on at least two occasions recently left out key elements that are necessary to understand the story fully, funnily enough those elements would lead you to conclude something that was only half true, but which suits his own beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tomaldo wrote: »
    I love the way anti-drug supporters try to pass off opinions as fact when they're talking about the future, will u lend me ur crystal ball, I wanna clean the bookies out. Have a few beers, alcohol kills far more people than cocaine and that's regulated with quality controls and hygiene standards etc unlike the production of coke. As this thread is about journalists, one of them who was on that LLS said u can't get good coke in Dublin.

Alcohol kills more people then coke because alcohol is freely available... cars kill more people then coke too, same reason....coke becomes more freely available and affordable? Watch the fûck out...

Richie Sadlier, Rte soccer pundit and Irish Times ‘lifestyle’ columnist... appears like he’s maybe a nice guy outside of the sphere of his profession but too slow to listen to the views of others and often imho misguided in his judgements....

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Strumms wrote: »
    Alcohol kills more people then coke because alcohol is freely available... cars kill more people then coke too, same reason....coke becomes more freely available and affordable? Watch the fûck out...

Richie Sadlier, Rte soccer pundit and Irish Times ‘lifestyle’ columnist... appears like he’s maybe a nice guy outside of the sphere of his profession but too slow to listen to the views of others and often imho misguided in his judgements....

You or me don't know what will happen if coke is more freely available/legal, it may lead to fewer deaths 'cos of quality control standards etc. Back on topic, Richie Sadlier is an ex footballer trying to earn a living at punditry/journalism, sometimes I agree with him, not always. I didn't know he wrote for the IT, so I can't debate that with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

You or me don't know what will happen if coke is more freely available/legal, it may lead to fewer deaths 'cos of quality control standards etc. Back on topic, Richie Sadlier is an ex footballer trying to earn a living at punditry/journalism, sometimes I agree with him, not always. I didn't know he wrote for the IT, so I can't debate that with you.

Sadler was one of the few to talk about the John Delaney/ FAI debacle. And be honest about it.

That and discussing sexual abuse was quite brave of him. There's been calls for more open discussion of molestation/ sexual abuse in the world of sport.
    We know that it's been quite a problem, between the Larry Nassar conviction, to the suicide of Gary Speed (who was abused by Barry Bennell, according to other victims of Bennell).
    People who are trying to make it to the big leagues are easily open to manipulation and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

aaronc182 wrote: »
    Kacey O'Riordan or the journal

Did she ever actually apologise for the school in carlow thing ?

Did she ever actually apologise for the school in carlow thing ?

Not that I'm aware of.. She's gone very quite since

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

aaronc182 wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of.. She's gone very quite since

Thats shameful if she hasn’t the decency to do that…

Ewan MacKenna, not even a good sports journalist any more , here alluding that Ronaldo and co. takes PEDs.

https://twitter.com/ewanmackenna/status/1410871699688640513?s=21

This isnt even the daftest thing he has said this morning …

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Miriam O'Callaghan and Claire Byrne if they count as journalists.

Absolutely pathetic the pair of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

How or why? I'm no fan of John Waters but he seems to be paying tribute to someone who died too young.

Its an appaling piece of writing for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

Looking over the posts, it seems that every journalist in Ireland has been nominated for this particular Oscar.

At times I would agree with a wide share-out of the prize, but can we have a winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Its an appaling piece of writing for a start.

In style or substance?

Did he also wax long and lyrical about the deaths of non-'celebrities' from drugs? If so, he gets a pass.

If not, then I'd have to say yes, in terms of both style and substance.

Looking over the posts, it seems that every journalist in Ireland has been nominated for this particular Oscar.

At times I would agree with a wide share-out of the prize, but can we have a winner?

Maybe some sort of collective award could be arranged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thats shameful if she hasn’t the decency to do that…

Ewan MacKenna, not even a good sports journalist any more , here alluding that Ronaldo and co. takes PEDs.

https://twitter.com/ewanmackenna/status/1410871699688640513?s=21

This isnt even the daftest thing he has said this morning …

MacKenna has definitely fallen into the “old man shouts at clouds” category, he’s a genuine weirdo but he’s been hammering the PEDs issue for a while now and Ali think there’s something there alright. The issue is he’s just shouting it and hasn’t done the actual journalistic work to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

The UK based 'Dublin Live' that is actually owned by the Mirror group.

Ah yes. The hyperbolic Darragh Berry.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gardai-marino-fairview-crime-gang-19799176
    Gardai storm several Dublin areas busting gang in night of terror as one arrested in Marino/Fairview incidents

Storm....gang.....terror.

The story?

A single Garda patrol car arrests a middle aged junkie trying his luck on unlocked car doors in the dead of night when 99% of locals were fast asleep. One, at most two, of his friends escape.

"Terror" me hole.

• Advertisement

Maybe some sort of collective award could be arranged?

There was, some time ago, an award for 'worst Irish anything'.

The Golden Gooseberries. I think Amanda Brunker won one, and I think Ian O'Doherty might have too.

The 'awards' didn't last long. It was meant to be lighthearted, but you know these 'types'... they lose it at the merest 'hint' of a criticism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/and-the-gooseberry-goes-to-1.1267903

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

Let's hear it for Una Mullally (again). Represents all that is bad about the Irish Times excuse for "journalism"

Let's hear it for Una Mullally (again). Represents all that is bad about the Irish Times excuse for "journalism"

I heard...

I'm just not going to bring myself to read that article... I know it would make me angry, I just don't want to put myself through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Just listened to her on a Matt Cooper podcast about international women's day which came on by accident after the previous pod cast I played. Jesus she sounded mad as a box of frogs. I actually went back an scrutinised some of it.

At one point she said "... and increasingly women" quickly interrupts herself "well you know, two incomes are needed in the household to pay the rent, to pay mortgages and that kind of thing, so women are, in my life I can tell you generally up from half 6 / 7 in the morning and working all the way through to 9 or 10 at night trying to cover the double shift". She meant that the other shift is house work and kids.

Then goes onto say "I know a lot of men do that too, but disproportionately we find in all of the surveys that women do more of the care work, they get paid less, they're less likely to be CEOs, they get less sleep, get less leisure time, they have more stress in their lives, more mental ill health, more self harm...". I think she was getting a bit ahead of herself there in saying that the have more stress.

A few of the things she said weren't worded right. She said "the homeless population in the family population still disproportionately populated by loan parent families headed by women". I don't know what that means.

She then complained about the guys that were "performatively going on about the women in their lives that are phenomenal, strong and amazing yeah, come back to me when you haven't proved, ah, when you can prove that you haven't said in the last 7 days, ah, you know, 'have you noticed that I've mopped the floor'". 

It does get you thinking; that if I'm to believe that the vast majority of women around Ireland are doing all the housework as well as working a full time job, then you argue that this can only mean one thing... that all women are push-overs and can be taken for fools. And if women are such push-overs then maybe they shouldn't be CEOs!

I’m starting to get worried that the zombie threads might take over. This is the second time today… spooky!

Please take note of when the last post was made guys don’t resurrect the dead. The ghost busters aren’t cheap these days.

closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement