Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España stage 10: Castro Urdiales to Suances (185km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

.you are more likely to suffer if your head is in the wrong place

Maybe the DQS effected him....maybe his sleep??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Goodnight Vienna for Sam today :(

I'd say he is crook, these sort of hills are normally meat and drink for him. Hope he can make it through the tough weekend to recover and sprint in Madrid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Thud

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this Vuelta a bizarre choice for Sam? Of the 18 stages, there's only 3 stages that suit him, with one being at the very end, with all the other days having climbing to some sort of degree. That's a lot of suffering to have to endure for so few opportunities.

This Vuelta is definitely not as balanced as the Tour. Way too much climbing.

Regardless, he got one stage win, so it's a success for him.

he wouldn't be the first sprinter to try win a few stages and go home. I'd imagine he's a bit pissed off with the whole thing after spending an hour with the commisaires last night. the thought of a few tough days in the mountains this weekend might have tipped it

Yes but he was flying yesterday ...going from yesterday to today so quickly ????

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Did Kelly give a view on the disqualification yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sure, but those stages were already binned before the decision was made for Sam to do this Vuelta.

It's been a shortened season (in terms of race days) and all other races are finished, so DQS are not going to turn down the really good opportunity of winning a couple of GT stages with an in-form Sam. If it was a normal season then I doubt Sam would be here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

TGD wrote: »

He said it was the right call, as he was never going to get away with that with camera angles everywhere these days. He said, that carry on happened all the time in his day, and they got away with it due to lack of camera angles.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Yes but he was flying yesterday ...going from yesterday to today so quickly ????

Kirby is guesstimating that Sam is ill

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TGD wrote:

Yes, he didn't disagree with it but didn't exactly back it either but it was clear he understood why Sam was disqualified.

It's been a shortened season (in terms of race days) and all other races are finished, so DQS are not going to turn down the really good opportunity of winning a couple of GT stages with an in-form Sam.

Does he have a chance in Stage 14, assuming he recovers from what's bothering him today and gets through the mountains this weekend?

• Advertisement

Kirby doesn't seem to be a fan of the beautiful scenery and the medieval churches!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

can sam get back on? how far is he back?

Does he have a chance in Stage 14, assuming he recovers from what's bothering him today and gets through the mountains this weekend?

If he isn't sick, then I think he would have a chance. The finish is 1.1 km at 6.5% which is probably right at Sam's limit. Monday is a rest day and Tuesday is the ITT so the whole team would be fresh, which would be crucial in reeling in the breakaway/preventing other attacks at the end.

donfers wrote: »
    can sam get back on? how far is he back?

Don't know exactly how far back he is, but the last time we saw him it looked like he was done for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Is it just me or is this Vuelta a bizarre choice for Sam? Of the 18 stages, there's only 3 stages that suit him, with one being at the very end, with all the other days having climbing to some sort of degree. That's a lot of suffering to have to endure for so few opportunities.

This Vuelta is definitely not as balanced as the Tour. Way too much climbing.

Regardless, he got one stage win, so it's a success for him.

It's the last race of the season. So it was this or go home. They've won a stage so it's the right choice

The whole season was all over the shop so I think you have to take opportunities where you can. DQT are by far the best team. They know how to get wins

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

Don't know exactly how far back he is, but the last time we saw him it looked like he was done for the day.

155 in the Peloton & it looks like he's on the wrong end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

King Roglic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

hahahaha ffs roglic!

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great opportunism from Roglic. I actually fancied him when I seen the last KM diagram if he wanted it. I thought the likes of him and Carapaz would hold back but once Carapaz got whiley he had to go himself

• Advertisement

Even his helper is saying that he doesnt look tired :rolleyes:

Think we can all be happy in the knowledge there is zero chance Sam Bennett was winning that stage! More Liege Bastogne Liege than a sprinters stage! Great finale

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow Roglic is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

That's some gap that Roglic managed at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

That last 2km looked like a proper challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Didn't even break into a sweat, far too easy for him.

Dan finished 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Roglic has taken 13 seconds on Carapaz. Dan Martin was in the lead group too

Stats have Dan Martin on the same time as Roglic. 3 seconds gained on the peleton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dan finished 7th

and 3s back on Carapaz

Advertisement