Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a pub measure

Options
  • 30-10-2020 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,453 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but looking to find out does anyone knw where I could buy a small gill for spirit measures that they use in the pubs?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What you want is a called a "jigger" or "thimble measure".

Plenty on eBay, Amazon or Nisbets have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You can order jiggers online for hand measures if that is what you mean. Most will be 30ml or 1oz (US) where as Irish measures are 35.5 ml. If you are looking for the mounted measures that pubs use that automatically stop after dispensing a measure they are called "optics". I think nisbets supply to the general public. Probably plenty of others with a quick search.
    A gill btw is a measurement (around 4 standard Irish measures)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A quick and easy way might be to pick up a shot glass in finewines or somewhere similar. Often they are made to measure just check before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Irish measure is 35.5; I am presuming the 35s sold in Nisbets, Stock and similar are actually under-stamped and are 35.5 or else nearly every pub going is breaking the law by a barely detectable amount - there are 35.5ml stamped ones around though. My local uses the same brand as the ones I bought in Stock and I know its only stamped for 35ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,453 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

L1011 wrote: »
    The Irish measure is 35.5; I am presuming the 35s sold in Nisbets, Stock and similar are actually under-stamped and are 35.5 or else nearly every pub going is breaking the law by a barely detectable amount - there are 35.5ml stamped ones around though. My local uses the same brand as the ones I bought in Stock and I know its only stamped for 35ml.

ordered this one

I rarely have spirits at home but this is a handy thing to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have a 25, 35, 50 and a 125ml ('glass of wine') measure; the latter gets very, very rare use though whereas the first three get a fair bit of use - 25s for cocktails with multiple spirits, 35 and 50 for normal drinking measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum but looking to find out does anyone knw where I could buy a small gill for spirit measures that they use in the pubs?

I use a porridge scoop it’s 40ml, the 4.5ml is negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I have a 25, 35, 50 and a 125ml ('glass of wine') measure; the latter gets very, very rare use though whereas the first three get a fair bit of use - 25s for cocktails with multiple spirits, 35 and 50 for normal drinking measures.

For cocktails this is my go to. Measures up to 2oz but has various markings to let you do smaller. Rather than having a bunch of different size jiggers or trying to see a tiny mark inside one 4 whiskey sours in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

Home Store & More do small measures up to 50ml for a couple of euro. Simple and effective, unless you are looking for something more fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Do people measure their drinks at home...!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

DilD wrote: »

I would for cocktails. Freepour if I'm having a whiskey or rum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

irish_goat wrote: »
    I would for cocktails. Freepour if I'm having a whiskey or rum.

Ahh yes for cocktails makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

Yep, as if I need to drive the next day, I know how much I've had to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,453 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

got the 35.5ml one off Hugh Jordon,Should of bought a set but look what can i do

Baileys is 50ml so 1 and a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If I'm drinking straight no, but for mixed drinks I like it, 3 parts mixer to 1 part spirit......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Strange that Nisbets are selling them, Their optics are 35ml too. I've never seen anything but 35.5ml measures in all the years I worked in bars. I learned to freepour measure in one job. It's much handier and quicker when you are making multiple cocktails. Staff were tested regularly enough if they weren't accurate the manager would make them use the measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Nisbets might not advertise 35.5ml measures and optics but they almost certainly have them. Brennan Hygiene & Lambert Hygiene are the same and I've ordered loads of stamped Irish measures and optics over the years.

Advertisement