Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 30/10 (Usyk-Chisora, Santa Cruz-Davis, Inoue-Maloney, Munguia-Johnson)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I thought that was intriguing I’d echo what’s been said chisora did so well to keep coming for 12 rounds. Not sure how he thought he’d won it. The problem for usyk is that Chisora has been in with some high level hws and has no advantages. Even he had one advantage over Usyk. Chisora is very flat footed for a hw and wasted his 20s being unfit. I’ll be interested to see who his next fight is it’s bound to be a step up and I think that means a ko loss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Fat fury dominated Delboy and forced him to quit on the stool.

I love Usyk but if he's not able to dominate a 37 year old Chisora then he;s not going to do it.

He should probably go back to cruiserweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Usyk struggles against that type of fighter like Chisora. I wouldn't write him off just yet. At worst he's what, a top 5 HW thereabouts already? He belongs in the division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Wilder is 35 his prime is probably over. Should of pushed himself earlier in his career.

That's what killed Chisora tonight, looked old and slow

6-7 years ago he would have hurt Usyk

Coneygree wrote: »
    Usyk struggles against that type of fighter like Chisora. I wouldn't write him off just yet. At worst he's what, a top 5 HW thereabouts already? He belongs in the division.

He's probably top 5, the problem is that the top 2 or 3 are so far ahead of the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Usyk vs Andy Ruiz would be a great fight and then he should be given a shot at AJ or whoever is champ

• Registered Users Posts: 38,492 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thierry12 wrote:
    That's what killed Chisora tonight, looked old and slow

6-7 years ago he would have hurt Usyk
    If Chisora was in that shape back then he could have done a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Davis Vs. Santa Cruz next then

Channel 5..

Can’t record. It’s on in Texas, so 5 hours behind. Probably 2.30-3 on here..

Tough to stay up.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I thought that was intriguing I’d echo what’s been said chisora did so well to keep coming for 12 rounds. Not sure how he thought he’d won it. The problem for usyk is that Chisora has been in with some high level hws and has no advantages. Even he had one advantage over Usyk. Chisora is very flat footed for a hw and wasted his 20s being unfit. I’ll be interested to see who his next fight is it’s bound to be a step up and I think that means a ko loss

Dubois looks likely

Dangerous fight for Usyk

I'd fancy him only because Dubois might be a bit too young at 23

walshb wrote: »
    Channel 5..

Can’t record. It’s on in Texas, so 5 hours behind. Probably 2.30-3 on here..

Tough to stay up.

Mass isn't on in the morning you will be alright :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I love Usyk but if he's not able to dominate a 37 year old Chisora then he;s not going to do it.

There's nothing for Usyk at cruiserweight. He's an absolutely phenomenal boxer who is daring to be great. He might not win it all, or even really feature in the division but he def belongs there and should be applauded for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

He's probably top 5, the problem is that the top 2 or 3 are so far ahead of the rest.

Then he's not that far off at all so and no worse than the rest of the bunch who've been there for years. And considering he's just moved up to the division he deserves more time yet to improve. Holyfield had some trouble with lads he was expected to handle with ease and he still did alright as a Heavy if I recall. I genuinely think Usyk gives this version of Joshua a good fight. Pre-Wlad Joshua would batter him though. Fury is too elusive and big, Usyk would struggle to win a round. And I think he's every chance vs Wilder. If anyone can avoid Wilder other than Fury it's Usyk. He showed a good set of whiskers tonight as well.

I'd like him to fight the winner of Povetkin and Whyte.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Chisora was in that shape back then he could have done a lot more.

Yeah wasted his best years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Joshua v Usyk is a very different fight to that tonight. No chance Joshua has the tank to do what Chisora did tonight. Would stand off and jab Usyk giving Usyk much more room to work.

Would look great on AJ's record to break Usyk's undefeated streak.One of the best names he could have under him

Would look great on AJ's record to break Usyk's undefeated streak.One of the best names he could have under him

Wlad and AP, albeit both past their prime probably better names. Proper tested and proven HWs

Am I the only one who can’t warm to Usyk’s style?

His delivery is just too jerky and disjointed.

Nice feet, but just looks all over the place. Slappy type shots and just too uneven or something. It’s a visual thing..lacks smooth fluidity or something .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Am I the only one who can’t warm to Usyk’s style?

His delivery is just too jerky and disjointed.

Nice feet, but just looks all over the place. Slappy type shots and just too uneven or something. It’s a visual thing..lacks smooth fluidity or something .

Ge is a great crusier

Poor HW

AJ will wimp out and fight him instead of Tyson

I think you might be right

First fight with Brieidis was massive amongst boxing fans

But no one noticed. Briedis gone from strength to stength

Rematch should be massive but cruisers dont get much attention

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

There's nothing for Usyk at cruiserweight. He's an absolutely phenomenal boxer who is daring to be great. He might not win it all, or even really feature in the division but he def belongs there and should be applauded for trying.

Regardless of how well he ends up doing, there's more money for him at Heavyweight.

One of his title defences at Cruiser was against Michael Hunter, and he's not done too bad since moving up, so we'll so how Usyk does given time.
    I wouldn't fancy him against the top 3, but I'd probably have him favourite against anyone else.

The difference in money between Heavyweight and Cruiser is why you have the likes of Alan Babic competing there. It's clear and obvious if he's to go anywhere in the sport he'll need to move down. But in the mean time he'll get far more attention and make far more money knocking out other Cruisers and small Heavyweight at above 200 lbs.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    Regardless of how well he ends up doing, there's more money for him at Heavyweight.

One of his title defences at Cruiser was against Michael Hunter, and he's not done too bad since moving up, so we'll so how Usyk does given time.
    I wouldn't fancy him against the top 3, but I'd probably have him favourite against anyone else.

The difference in money between Heavyweight and Cruiser is why you have the likes of Alan Babic competing there. It's clear and obvious if he's to go anywhere in the sport he'll need to move down. But in the mean time he'll get far more attention and make far more money knocking out other Cruisers and small Heavyweight at above 200 lbs.

Agree 100%

We need look at the weight structure of boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

One point that is important is that Usyk was never knocking out everybody at Cruiserweight, so why should you expect that he is going to knock everybody out at heavyweight. As he said in the press conference, the elephant is bigger than the lion, but who is the king of the jungle. So I think the question then becomes: given that none of the heavyweight will be able to outbox and outpoint Usyk, who will be able to get to him and knock him out?

One point that is important is that Usyk was never knocking out everybody at Cruiserweight, so why should you expect that he is going to knock everybody out at heavyweight. As he said in the press conference, the elephant is bigger than the lion, but who is the king of the jungle. So I think the question then becomes: given that none of the heavyweight will be able to outbox and outpoint Usyk, who will be able to get to him and knock him out?

I think it’s a huge stretch to think that Fury or AJ could not outbox him or stop him..

FFS, a wild, plodding, lunging, sloth like Chisora gave him awful trouble tonight, and arguably won 4-5 rounds in there...

I’ll say it again: Chisora is fooking sh1t.

Fury and Aj have looked like average fighters too at times and struggled against fighters way below their supposed level

• Registered Users Posts: 38,492 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Big Ears wrote:

Yeah for sure, he can set himself up for life fighting at heavyweight. His next payday should be a good one after that exposure.

Isaac Cruz blasted Diego Magdalena out in 50 seconds at
    LW. Impressive punching.

Another IBF eliminator..

I think it’s a huge stretch to think that Fury or AJ could not outbox him or stop him..

FFS, a wild, plodding, lunging, sloth like Chisora gave him awful trouble tonight, and arguably won 4-5 rounds in there...

I’ll say it again: Chisora is fooking sh1t.

Fury would rag doll him and win every round. Disappointed in his display tonight but I think that’s his limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Morrison J wrote: »
    Joshua v Usyk is a very different fight to that tonight. No chance Joshua has the tank to do what Chisora did tonight. Would stand off and jab Usyk giving Usyk much more room to work.

That is an outrageous statement to make to be honest Morrison.

How you can honestly believe AJ doesn't have a far far superior gas tank to chisora is beyond me considering you're such a knowledgeable poster.

Joshua adrenaline dumped against wlad recuperated and got the KO. He was pinged by Ruiz and never fully got his legs under him there after and that's been it.

Every other fight he's seen it out to whatever end comfortably. 12rds against Parker, danced for 12 against a fat Ruiz, no bother chasing the pretty durable Takam for 10rds and growing hugely into the second half of the whyte fight to absolutely bang him out in the 7th.

There's no comparison.

Even forgetting gas tanks...

FFS, guys. Chisora was muck tonight. He had nothing but effort and spirit...

AJ has far far more tools and capability than a shot to bits, never remotely good to begin with, Chisora..

No idea why AJ would stand off Usyk and just jab?

• Advertisement

Even forgetting gas tanks...

FFS, guys. Chisora was muck tonight. He had nothing but effort and spirit...

AJ has far far more tools and capability than a shot to bits, never remotely good to begin with, Chisora..

No idea why AJ would stand off Usyk and just jab?

AJ would just hammer Usyk as he has nothing to fear. fury the same, fury would physically rough him up too.

I see Usyk having a chance against Whyte and povetkin but if he can’t dominate a Chisora he has no chance against the top guys.

Advertisement