Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 30/10 (Usyk-Chisora, Santa Cruz-Davis, Inoue-Maloney, Munguia-Johnson)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

That is an outrageous statement to make to be honest Morrison.

How you can honestly believe AJ doesn't have a far far superior gas tank to chisora is beyond me considering you're such a knowledgeable poster.

Joshua adrenaline dumped against wlad recuperated and got the KO. He was pinged by Ruiz and never fully got his legs under him there after and that's been it.

Every other fight he's seen it out to whatever end comfortably. 12rds against Parker, danced for 12 against a fat Ruiz, no bother chasing the pretty durable Takam for 10rds and growing hugely into the second half of the whyte fight to absolutely bang him out in the 7th.

There's no comparison.

You think Joshua would be able to set a pace like Chisora did tonight and last 12?

The Parker/Ruiz II/Takam fights were not fought at a high pace. He didn't remotely push the limits of his tank in those fights. Controlled them with his jab and plenty of holding in the inside.

Two fights where Joshua went relatively gun-ho and didn't get his opponent out in early were Wlad and Ruiz I. He gassed pretty badly in both.

Chisora when in shape has a decent tank. Tonight and both Whyte fights being good examples of that. Fights fought at a very high pace.

I don't see whats outrageous about my comment tbh. Obviously Joshua is levels above Chisora in most categories but gas tank wise I haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I think thats the height of Usyks heavyweight career, he doesnt go any further.

walshb wrote: »
    Even forgetting gas tanks...

FFS, guys. Chisora was muck tonight. He had nothing but effort and spirit...

AJ has far far more tools and capability than a shot to bits, never remotely good to begin with, Chisora..

No idea why AJ would stand off Usyk and just jab?

AJ has stood off Ruiz, Takam, Parker etc. His style isn't to literally "stick it on" on his opponent like Chisora tried to do tonight.

Usyk v Joshua is a very different fight stylistically, thats all I'm saying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Morrison J wrote: »
    You think Joshua would be able to set a pace like Chisora did tonight and last 12?

Yes.

Easily.

Chisora swung well for the first 2 rds. He came on again after the 4th. He looked completely fecked in the 7th and 8th and then got a bit of a second wind towards the end and did precious little with it.

AJ is 6ft6" with a long reach and a very good jab of course this is going to be used in his fights, he's still well able to stalk an opponent for 12rds while jabbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJ has stood off Ruiz, Takam, Parker etc. His style isn't to literally "stick it on" on his opponent like Chisora tried to do tonight.

Usyk v Joshua is a very different fight stylistically, thats all I'm saying here.

It is a different fight.

AJ should find it easy to land hard and clean for a KO

Bigger and more powerful everywhere...

Longer reach, harder jab, harder every punch. Usyk will get hit, hit early and will be taken out...

• Advertisement

Can’t stay up for this..

Tank be in the ring by 3 or so..

Hope don’t miss a classic here, and hope YouTube have it later..

Yes.

Easily.

Chisora swung well for the first 2 rds. He came on again after the 4th. He looked completely fecked in the 7th and 8th and then got a bit of a second wind towards the end and did precious little with it.

AJ is 6ft6" with a long reach and a very good jab of course this is going to be used in his fights, he's still well able to stalk an opponent for 12rds while jabbing.

I really haven't seen any evidence at all to prove he can set that sort of pace but fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I really haven't seen any evidence at all to prove he can set that sort of pace but fair enough!

I completely agree it's a different fight.

But I do feel you're overstating chisora's gas tank greatly.

I completely agree it's a different fight.

But I do feel you're overstating chisora's gas tank greatly.

Not sure I even rate Chisora's gas tank that much although I do think it's decent when he's in shape. I more think Joshua's gas tank is probably his biggest weakness and guaranteed to rear its head again when he fights an elite opponent who doesn't let him control the pace of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Diddley Squat

c'mon Leo

he's going to force Davis to fight at a faster pace

Leo bu KO round 9-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

c'mon Leo

he's going to force Davis to fight at a faster pace

Leo bu KO round 9-12

Just stuck a tenner on him. 4/1 feels a little much.
    Last fight was great and prograis looked real sharp before. Would like to see a rematch with taylor.
    Hoping the inoue fight doesn't clash tonight.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Morrison J wrote:
    Joshua doesn't need to, he can just keep him at distance with his jab and leave Usyk have to reach and invariably get caught cold at some stage when he does reach.

Davis in the Mexican gear. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Sweet Jesus. What a finish. A genuinely scary ko that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Amazing fight

That was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Shame it ended a bit early but whatever.Worth staying up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Boy got some pop in those paws.

Unbelievable shot.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Joshua doesn't need to, he can just keep him at distance with his jab and leave Usyk have to reach and invariably get caught cold at some stage when he does reach.

Definitely very possible Joshua catches him but I wouldn't underestimate Usyk's chances at winning a fight from the outside either. Head movement, footwork and ring IQ wise he's a solid level above Joshua. Whether Joshua's size and power negates that is definitely a possibility but nowhere near a foregone conclusion imo.

• Advertisement

Inoue incredible again tonight on the ESPN card too. Didn't lose a second of the fight. Best P4P fighter in the world for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Punch of the Decade

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

For once the boxing was better than the mma

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

jimpump wrote: »

Ah stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

jimpump wrote: »

Usyk outclassed chisora but could not finish him and although he dismantled him was pretty boring.

Inoue definitely has a good punch and put Maloney on the canvas a good few times, it was a one sided fight.

Everything else was a bit of an anti climax.

So all we got was an expected win for a mandatory fight with Joshua. But we have two fighters who will tap a 12 round decision. Since Joshua nearly took Klitchkos head off, he has lost any type of a knockout blow.

On the other hand UFC was a night of finishes. Every fight from the Pre lims to the main event had excitement. The main event ended with a touch of class.

The boxing was mediocre. UFC again had everything.

My opinion tonight is probably tarnished with Wilders accusation that Fury treated. Obviously it is a negotiating tactic to get a payoff and still save face. He knows he lost the draw and was annihilated by a world class opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Have thinks that Chisora won.

No he didn't David.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

ebbsy wrote: »
    Have thinks that Chisora won.

No he didn't David.

An armchair very casual watcher might think that the way Chisora was coming forward but fairly clear he wasn't landing on Usyk who was just a class above. All this crap about heart etc. Chisora could have been a really top fighter if he looked after himself in his prime. Bellew saying Chisora won the first 6 rounds last night after round 6 was cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

duffman13 wrote:
    An armchair very casual watcher might think that the way Chisora was coming forward but fairly clear he wasn't landing on Usyk who was just a class above. All this crap about heart etc. Chisora could have been a really top fighter if he looked after himself in his prime. Bellew saying Chisora won the first 6 rounds last night after round 6 was cringe.
    Yeah, seems this Usyk punches messed with his brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anybody else thing Selby shoulda won that scrap? I had him 7-5 and I thought I was being generous to his opponent. not sure what the judges saw there. That Aussie bloke had horrible footwork, fought like a Mexican journeyman at times.

Usyk won’t get up to much at heavyweight going off last night, I don’t think he was ever in any major trouble but he’d be manhandled by the likes of Fury. He doesn’t have the power or strength to keep them lads off him for 12 rounds imo. Never rated Chisora at all and now that he’s at double figures losses hopefully we don’t hear much more out of him.

Enjoyed Andy Lee on co commentator on my stream, he reads a fight so well.

• Advertisement

Stunning uppercut after he slipped a shot, and from the orthodox stance. Wicked!!

Was Leo up on the cards?

Advertisement